OT - vacuuming gunpowder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

OT - vacuuming gunpowder

Post by El Chivo »

Anybody have ideas for cleaning up spilled gunpowder?

My reloading room is also my living room, and after a few sessions I do have some spilled gunpowder. I always picked up what I could with tape, but I'm sure there is still some in the carpet (especially with 2400 having such small granules).

I'm not talking about vacuuming up a pile of gunpowder, but to do a general cleaning of my carpet, I will have a few specks here and there coming in.

Any other methods out there?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You should be fine with the vacuum as long as the bag is in front of the turbine that creates the vacuum. I was always more nervous of primers myself wondered if I'd wind up with a live one running through my old Kirby (didn't have the turbine after the bag) the dead ones made enough noise clanging through it. Most newer units don't use that method anymore.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I vacuumed up a case full( except what contaminated the action & caused a total dis-assembly) of RL-7 from a 300 Sav case I ejected that flung powder around on the carpet...had the bullet stick in the rifling when I thot I had the COAL corrected.. The vacuum has the revolving sweeper feature too..No ill effects..more than a few flakes I might add.. Good luck
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My reloading area used to be in the bedroom. Bedroom was carpeted. I vacuumed it up quite often. Never a lot of powder, but some always seemed to get spilled. I never had any problems with it at all.

However ...... my mom did vacuum up a live primer once. It went off in the vacuum. She about crapped her pants. Made me laugh. I'd warned her I had live primers in the carpet, don't vacuum till I found them all. She forgot.
She also NEVER vacuumed my room again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'd hate to see whats in my 5 gal. shop vac. I keep a shop vac tucked away in a special spot with only the hose coming out. I suck up powder ALL the time. As I clean it out about twice a year, I bet there's a half pound in there when it comes to cleaning time. Buts its also mixed with all kinds of other stuff.

Don't sweat it. (unless its blackpowder) Smokeless powder takes a flame or an extremely strong "hit" like from a bullet to go off.------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I would say for a large spill (especially black powder) maybe an old squirt
bottle with water. Get it wet and it won't work like it's supposed to. 8)
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I always use the household vacume cleaner to vacume up my spilled powder. Done it for years. No problem. There ain't enough in the bag to blow 'ol Betsy to bits anyway.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Now that could be fun on the 4th of July. Throw the vacuum cleaner bag in the bonfire.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Modern vacume+smokeless powder spills.I had no problem cleaning up for 20 some years reloading. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote:I always use the household vacume cleaner to vacume up my spilled powder. Done it for years. No problem. There ain't enough in the bag to blow 'ol Betsy to bits anyway.
+1. Never had a problem nor a concern...

Now, 5 lbs at a time, that may change my mind!!! :shock: