Vintage Remington Dog Bone Box 30-30 Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Vintage Remington Dog Bone Box 30-30 Question.

Post by cshold »

Were these 110 grain rounds considered a deer use load?
Any of y'all have any ballistic, range or field use info. on this loading you could pass along.
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displa ... um=4184265

arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Vintage Remington Dog Bone Box 30-30 Question.

Post by arjunky »

I would say for the explosive effect on something, not deer. :D
Even back then they must have been going 3,300 fps or better.

Byron
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

An old post from w30wcf on the Marlin forum:

"Apparently Winchester and Remington must have gotten a number of requests for a .30-30 varmint round back in the early 1920's and offered .30 W.C.F. Super Speed (Winchester) and .30-30 Hi Speed Mushroom (REM-UMC) cartridges. Both were loaded with 110 gr. hollow pointed bullets at a cataloged 2,720 f.p.s. which was "sizzling" fast for that time.

Even though the bullet tip was smaller than normal it was safe to use them in a tubular magazine since the cartridges line up with the bullet off center to the cartridge in the front.

As replication of the that early loading I use the 110 gr. Sierra with enough 4198 to push it to the early ballistics. (Original cartridges used IMR 25 1/2 the forerunner to 4198 ). H335 works well too. Accuracy has been very good and the 300M steel javelina doesn't stand a chance........"

w30wcf
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

For some reason I had 30-06 on my mind. :oops: Still don't think would use on deer unless it was the only load available.

Byron
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

casastahle,
Nice box. Thank you for the pic.

I have not found a reference for what the actual purpose of the 110 gr. h.p. loading was for. Based on the bullet weight, the hollow point, and the velocity (2,720 f.p.s.) one could assume it was intended for varmints and such.

Here's a Winchester box from the same era as the REM-UMC box. Note that there is no bullet weight shown but the "Super Speed" moniker indicated a 110 gr. bullet back then.

There were a number of other Winchester "Super Speed" cartridges introduced in that era. All with lighter for the caliber hollow point bullets..... 25-20, .32-20, .25-35, etc.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The Winchester box clearly shows an 'HP' for will take thst as meaning hollow point.
The Remington UMC box just says 'mushroom bullet'. Was it truly a hollow point?
Or was it a jacketed soft point?
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

casastahle,
Rem-Umc used the term "Mushroom" to indicate hollow point. It had a full jacket to the hollow point like the two cartridges in the photo. The left cartridge was pre 1930 and had a tin plated jacket. Winchester dropped the tin plating on all of their bullets after 1930 (right hand cartridge).

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks,
You have always shared a wealth of information
on all the forums you travel w30wcf 8)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

casastahle,
Thank you for the kind words. I have been very interested in cartridge history and thankfully have acquired some knowledge that I am happy to share.

Here's the business end of a box of Rem-Umc .30-30 110 gr. "Mushroom" bullets.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have a friend whose son killed two nice eight point bucks last year using the 110 grain expanding load. Both deer dropped right there.
He has shared his load recipe with me and I have loaded some and find accuracy quite good.
I see no reason not to expect this load to work well on deer since other calibers use a much smaller bullet.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

casastahle,

Y'all must be from South York, correct? Or have you been hangin' below the Mason-Dixon line?

Another Pennsylvanian, John Kort, will have your answer and I expect he will be along before much longer.

And now, back to shoveling snow.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.