The Anvil Chopper.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

The Anvil Chopper.

Post by Gobblerforge »

Let me start by saying that I wasn't ready to post on this but since Pitchy is MIA in the "Let's build something different." department, and it's January something, and cabin fever seems to be rampant, and it's colder than a witches.......... broom, I'll bring out the yet completed but never finished, Anvil Chopper.
What is an anvil chopper you might ask? I'm glad you did.
Well the Anvil Chopper, from now on can be referred to as AC, started it's concept last September. While at the SOFA blacksmith conference, a friend of mine gave me a 1940 vintage Maytag 72D, 2 cylinder, 2 cycle motor. It didn't run and had been in his shop taking up space too long so he brought it along with a trailer of other ......things, to sell at what is considered to be the country's, nay World's, biggest and bestest blacksmith conference and tailgate sales event there is. So there we are on this Wednesday afternoon of an event that didn't officially start until Friday afternoon with this antique motor that didn't run. Well that's like crack of cocaine to a bunch of blacksmiths so by lunch Thursday, four of us had that puppy running better than it had, I'm sure, in decades. Well we ran that thing off and on for four days strait and in the course of wanting more draw on the motor, settled on using a furnace blower that another fellow had for sale. I didn't want to be out of style so rather than pay cash for it, I traded a fist full of files I had for sale. Barter done and all happy, the blower was perfect for drawing power. The more you push, the harder it pushes and allowed us to enjoy the motor under load. Pop, pop, pop.
So now it's January and I mentioned the cold, and the AC has begun. The grandson will be the eventual rider of this but I get to be the test dummy. If it can haul me, it can haul him sort of thing. The power plant is the Maytag and the axle and bearings are from the blower. There is a whole nuther story about the blower, but later on that. The rear wheels are from some doner bicycles as well as the front end. the frame is all pieced together from stuff to give the illusion of an anvil. Come on, you didn't really think I was going to use a real anvil, did you? Everything else is being made as thought of. These are the things that idle hands do when not boxed in. Enjoy.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: The Anvil Chopper.

Post by Blaine »

Every time I say "that takes the cake" someone comes along with something better.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

'Zat. belt or chain drive? Using a centrifucal clutch? Looks good.Gobbler.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Well that rates right up there as prime farm town engineering sucess. That's the kind of stuff every crank handle flipping Oliver driving kid dreamed about. If you need a test pilot I am game !
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thats 2 cool
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

A maytag twin. I got one with the washing machine to go with it. How do you throttle it since its just an air valve with no carb? I see it now, runs full open and tensions with the idler pulley.
Last edited by Marvin S on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Take care. That looks like a good way to qualify for the 2014 Darwin Award.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Had me worried with the title. Thought you might have actually chopped up an anvil.

That is a cool bike. I am sure that when it warms up it will get lots of use.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Maximum cool factor. One lucky grandson.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang Gobbler, that is way cool! My Grandson came in and saw it so now I may have to build something similar. May be a 2 wheeler though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Thanks Guys. It has been fun and I am learning a lot. The big pulley on the rear wheel is another rim that I mounted after seeing pictures of the belt drive motorcycles of the early 20th century. Working within the constraints of 5/8ths horse power is tough. Everything has to be light and strong. Right now it moves me around the garage at faster than walking pace. I'm getting close. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is one COOL machine.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

plowboy 45 wrote:Thats 2 cool
+1 8)