Win 94AE 45LC capacity modification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigdaddy0442
Levergunner

Win 94AE 45LC capacity modification

Post by bigdaddy0442 »

I use my 94AE for Cowboy Action and often need 10 rounds but the Trapper will only hold 9. Is there any modification that can be done to increase the capacity? Like installing a shorter mag follower?

bigdaddy0442
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Win 94AE 45LC capacity modification

Post by Griff »

bigdaddy0442 wrote:I use my 94AE for Cowboy Action and often need 10 rounds but the Trapper will only hold 9. Is there any modification that can be done to increase the capacity? Like installing a shorter mag follower?
bigdaddy0442
That might work... but how shy of getting 10 are you? For proper tension, in order to load that last round or two, you really need at least 2 - 2-½" of free spring beyond the mag length.

Another option is load shorter bullets... It may be that you can cycle a shorter OAL, but many will not. At CAS distances, accuracy is not a major factor, but my .45 Colt rifles all seem to like the "Colt Law Special" from MasterCraft Bullets of Tyler, TX. It's not listed on his website, but call Stormy and tell 'im that I said to ask about it... I need to order some myself. It's a 160 grain round flat nose.

I don't have the overall length that it comes out when crimped in the crimp groove.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I might be more practical to modify the gun to cycle with CAS .45 Schofield cartridges than otherwise alter the gun. But that is no easy feat with a 94.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to our little corner of the www ! !

The length of the magazine follower doeasn't matter, since the follower's not a solid block that can be shortened - It's an extruded hollow cup, that the rear of the magazine spring rests in. (maybe 1/16" thick at it's rear face)

What "might" work is to shorten the magazine spring, one or one-half coil at a time, to obtain enough space for the 10th round in the magazine tube when the spring's fully compressed/stacked.

You should first check the magazine though - load 9 cartridges into the magazine tube, then attempt to load the 10th, noting how far into the tube the 10th cartridge can go - if it will go at least halfway before the compressed spring stops it, you just might be able to get away with shortening the spring.
Any less distance, and I'd say to fahgettaboutit.

I would further suggest obtaining a replacement magazine spring before any shortening of the original, though - because even if the shortening allows loading the 10th cartridge, the shortened spring may not be long enough to drive it out of the magazine onto the lifter.

bigdaddy0442
Levergunner

Post by bigdaddy0442 »

Thanks All,

Looks like I may to start saving my coins and buy a real cowboy action levergun. Maybe a Cimmarron???

Bigdaddy0442
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bigdaddy0442 wrote:Thanks All,
Looks like I may to start saving my coins and buy a real cowboy action levergun. Maybe a Cimmarron???
Bigdaddy0442
Know that I love the Winchester mdl 94, I better, I own an unreasonable number of them... but they're a "RIFLE" cartridge deal, first, foremost and just about always. When folks ask me what rifle to buy for cowboy action shooting, I always list the mdl 94 2nd to last... and it's a REAL close shave that puts it ahead of the Henry BigBoy. And that puts it behind another acknowledged handgun cartridge rifle that seems to be overly reviled, yet VERY suitable rifle, the mdl 1892. I should say, the Rossi mdl 1892, as the originals were wonderfully smooth and sweet shooters. You can get a Rossi into that condition, but it takes some specific know-how, or sending it to an expert like our very own Nate Kiowa Jones.

When you say "Cimmaron", I'm assuming you mean a mdl 1866 or 1873... which are simply imported by Cimmaron, manufactured by Uberti. Other importers have the same guns. And some of they are just as nice... if not nicer. And sometimes, nicer prices as well.

And don't dismiss the Miroku made Winchester mdl 1873 either... although currently only available in .38/.357, by all accounts its as well made as the other Miroku arms.

BTW, I was remiss in my earlier post... Image AND Welcome to THE Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!