72 Hour Bug Out/Survival Bag Addition.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

72 Hour Bug Out/Survival Bag Addition.

Post by cshold »

Thinking about unloading a couple of derringers and
updating my bag to include a new US Survival AR-7.
http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm
Thoughts please.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 72 Hour Bug Out/Survival Bag Addition.

Post by vancelw »

The ar-7 is nostalgic. I think I'd rather have a take down Ruger 10/22. Not as compact though.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I went through the same thought process. Got the 10/22 takedown. Better for fending off predators.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a friend that has one for canoe trips and says he gets 2 inch groups at 50 yards with good ammo. That would do a deer in a do or die situation. I also would rather defend myself with that loaded with Winchester power points or CCI Velocitors than a derringer.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I was thinking about adding a Rossi ranch hand to mine, just in case we get separated from my 94.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I don't think I would bug out, all my guns and ammo are here. Two freezers full of food why leave. But to your question, have you thought about a 22 pistol and shoulder holster, not disassembled in a pack. And for bugging out you could make your own duel shoulder holster, carry a 45 on one side and a 22 on the other.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I found them to be accurate. I actual have a single shot takedown that is going up for sale here. The ar-7 is a classic.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have a semi new ar-7 and a 10-22 take down. If you need the space an AR-7 isthe way to go. These are not the same gun they were in the 80s, they feed most bullets and if you are really careful you can get decent groups out of it under controlled conditions. The 10-22 take down does require more room BUT the quality.....Huge step up. I have a 2-7 vortex in warne quick detatch rings and a supressor (I bought the one with the flash hider already threaded). The sights on the AR-7 leave a lot to be desired BUT if the choice is to have the AR or nothing, the AR is a Rolls Royce in that case. Just my opinion and probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mike a nice breakdown 22 is nice for camping or whatever keep one derringer its comforting to have one in your vest pocket when you go out to the mail box or get a armload of firewood even a 22 derringer will work fine. danny
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've never shot an AR-7 that worked like it should, caveat I have not shot a new one since about 2005.

I'd keep a .22 revolver (Single-Six?) and a few hundred rounds in the pack, and a real rifle with the pack. Even if it's a single-shot .30-30 NEF, something bigger than a .22.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm thinking that my 3 .45acp with all the extra mags would suffice. I see a place for a small (childs?) .22 rifle with CB longs for very, very quiet hunting. My little Marlin Mountie would be useful in that capacity. Having said that, I'll probably remain in place.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd strongly consider a 10/22 Takedown, but I'm not all that sure a Ruger Mk-II PISTOL with a scope-base for a red-dot or other optional 'optic' wouldn't serve about as well. More CONCEALABLE, which in many 'police-state' situations or other disasters, would be important; similar 'firepower', and from a practical standpoint, accuracy on-par.

Perhaps Old Ironsights remembers the little shorty PISTOL that uses Ruger 10/22 magazines, which he posted pictures of. THAT would be pretty cool, as well, but probably not as accurate as a Mark-II. More firepower, though... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Whatever works for you as far as the specific model. A .22 is one of the most valuable firearms you could have in a survival situation.

Remember, wolves feast on caribou, but they survive on voles.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

"Bug Out" or "Stay in place" hmm. It is not a matter of one or the other, but rather a matter of what the situation dictates. Some times staying is not an option when the "disaster" is local, which is most likely. Civil unrest, some weather issues etc. okay make a choice. Gas main break, or maybe a tanker of chlorine flips off the road close to your house, time to go no matter what you have to leave behind.

At any rate, my bug out bag 22lr is the first gun I ever bought for myself. My Browning BL22 breaks down to a handy size and since the scope is on the barrel it holds POA when you put it back together. Another plus is how simple it is to drop out the bolt and trigger group for cleaning. When I bought it my only reason was that I wanted an autoloader and being left handed I liked the fact it ejected out the bottom. 40 plus years later I still appreciate the bottom eject, but even more, the simplicity of the design and accurate reliability in a lightweight takedown package.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, a good .22 rifle makes a better tool than a derringer!

I would do it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SJPrice wrote:"Bug Out" or "Stay in place" hmm. It is not a matter of one or the other, but rather a matter of what the situation dictates. Some times staying is not an option when the "disaster" is local, which is most likely. Civil unrest, some weather issues etc. okay make a choice. Gas main break, or maybe a tanker of chlorine flips off the road close to your house, time to go no matter what you have to leave behind.

At any rate, my bug out bag 22lr is the first gun I ever bought for myself. My Browning BL22 breaks down to a handy size and since the scope is on the barrel it holds POA when you put it back together. Another plus is how simple it is to drop out the bolt and trigger group for cleaning. When I bought it my only reason was that I wanted an autoloader and being left handed I liked the fact it ejected out the bottom. 40 plus years later I still appreciate the bottom eject, but even more, the simplicity of the design and accurate reliability in a lightweight takedown package.
Exactly my reason for having one.
This time of year it's in the vehicle 24-7.
I really like the compactness of the ar-7 and the looks of it in the camo.
The derringers are nice and are a "can get by with it" tool. But they are
far from an ideal survival / self defense weapon. I do have a single
six in .22 that I will not part with. But it is way to nice and collectible
to be tossed in a survival bag.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I chose the takedown 10/22 with the suppressor and a red dot sight with extra batteries. I haven't figured out the sling situation for it, Ruger should have done that for us. It is bulkier that on the AR-7 but it comes with its own pack that can attach to your BOB, carries extra mags and plenty of ammo. An AR-7 was in my kit, along with a smith pistol in the same caliber. Now it's a Walther .22 and the 10/22, and 1000 cci mini mags and 200 subsonic 22s. A larger caliber rifle and pistol are also part of the kit but are carried daily anyway.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For short term I wouldn't mind the 1022TD, AR7, or the Marlin Papoose. Better still would be a bolt action takedown.
For a long term bug out or foraging rifle I would like the bolt action takedown with a tube magazine and synthetic stock. No magazine to lose or feed lips to bend and the bolt will use a wider range of ammo.
From what I've seen, I'm going to get one of the Chiappa Little Badgers to fill this role.
Simple is good.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike,
Sounds like you have the ideal GI Joe deluxe setup 8)
Probably what I should have, being we both live between
two very close nuclear power plants.
But at this time my goal is small, compact and lightweight.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:I chose the takedown 10/22 with the suppressor and a red dot sight with extra batteries. I haven't figured out the sling situation for it, Ruger should have done that for us. It is bulkier that on the AR-7 but it comes with its own pack that can attach to your BOB, carries extra mags and plenty of ammo. An AR-7 was in my kit, along with a smith pistol in the same caliber. Now it's a Walther .22 and the 10/22, and 1000 cci mini mags and 200 subsonic 22s. A larger caliber rifle and pistol are also part of the kit but are carried daily anyway.
Did you get the integral model from Thompson Machine & Tools...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

fordwannabe wrote:I have a semi new ar-7 and a 10-22 take down. If you need the space an AR-7 isthe way to go. These are not the same gun they were in the 80s, they feed most bullets and if you are really careful you can get decent groups out of it under controlled conditions. The 10-22 take down does require more room BUT the quality.....Huge step up. I have a 2-7 vortex in warne quick detatch rings and a supressor (I bought the one with the flash hider already threaded). The sights on the AR-7 leave a lot to be desired BUT if the choice is to have the AR or nothing, the AR is a Rolls Royce in that case. Just my opinion and probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
+1 well put!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

No I didn't get the integral unit. I have a screw on as it moves between the bolt gun, the 10/22, and a ruger pistol.
Mike Johnson,

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Has anyone had any thoughts about a Savage Rascal as a "survival" gun? Only 32 1/2" long, under 3 lbs., and reported to be accurate...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd strongly consider a 10/22 Takedown, but I'm not all that sure a Ruger Mk-II PISTOL with a scope-base for a red-dot or other optional 'optic' wouldn't serve about as well. More CONCEALABLE, which in many 'police-state' situations or other disasters, would be important; similar 'firepower', and from a practical standpoint, accuracy on-par.

Perhaps Old Ironsights remembers the little shorty PISTOL that uses Ruger 10/22 magazines, which he posted pictures of. THAT would be pretty cool, as well, but probably not as accurate as a Mark-II. More firepower, though... 8)
It's called the "Charger".

I just have a Butler Creek folder on my 10/22.

casastahle: What caliber Derringers? Even with a .22 rifle, or better, a .22/410 O/U survival folder, I'd still keep the derringer handy. I've come to rather appreciate the utility of mine, in particular as the "survival gun" that I can actually hide under the seat of my motorcycle...

Also, if at least a .38, a Derringer is better snake medicine. (Note, almost all New Derringers need to have the throat reamed a little for them to take the CCI shot loads, but once done, it's a dandy 20ft gun. I keep a Shot Shell on the bottom and a Buffalo Bore "Standard Pressure, Short Barrel, Low Flash" .38 LSWCHP on top.

It's also a dandy way for an EMT to carry a snake gun out to a ranch to help someone who has been snakebit...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

mikld wrote:Has anyone had any thoughts about a Savage Rascal as a "survival" gun? Only 32 1/2" long, under 3 lbs., and reported to be accurate...
They are, and you get a good trigger, too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

vancelw wrote:The ar-7 is nostalgic. I think I'd rather have a take down Ruger 10/22. Not as compact though.
Dittos. #1 10-22 magazines are everywhere now, not so for the AR-7 #2 the 10-22 accuracy and durability beat the AR7. #3 the 10-22 comes with its own bug out bag
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mikld wrote:Has anyone had any thoughts about a Savage Rascal as a "survival" gun? Only 32 1/2" long, under 3 lbs., and reported to be accurate...
You stole my post; I am thinking of buying one, not so much for survival as for taking on the bicycle to the range. But it seems to be a sweet gun and available in left-handed also. Why do collapsible when small is available?

Another compact gun would be a handi-rifle, perhaps with several barrels. They also have one intended for survival that are .410 shotgun and 22lr combined.

Truly, I think your best survival tool would be a jar with a lid. For catching insects. I am good at catching crickets, which I did for my frogs for a while. Basically trap one in a clear plastic cup, then slide a piece of card stock under the cup. Pick it up and then dump him in a collecting jar. To make an escape proof collecting jar, remove the lid, and insert a large funnel. Have a small rubber ball handy. Dump the cricket into the funnel, and drop the rubber ball in after him. There's no faster lid than a rubber ball dropped in. I caught 50-60 in a half hour. I didn't eat them, but the way my frogs love them, I'm less averse to it. Survival is survival.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

El Chivo wrote:... I caught 50-60 in a half hour. I didn't eat them, but the way my frogs love them, I'm less averse to it. Survival is survival.
http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

IIRC roasted crickets ground into flour was a brief, but important, staple for the early Mormon settlers in Utah (thus the name "Mormon Cricket" for one indigenous species)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
El Chivo wrote:... I caught 50-60 in a half hour. I didn't eat them, but the way my frogs love them, I'm less averse to it. Survival is survival.
http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

IIRC roasted crickets ground into flour was a brief, but important, staple for the early Mormon settlers in Utah (thus the name "Mormon Cricket" for one indigenous species)
I was thinking in terms of killer fishbait........I'll get my protein from fish, and whatever I can shoot.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For literally decades, an Ar-7 rode around in my Jeep. Then one day I actually needed it. And while it resulted in a few unsavory characters backing down, I came away feeling that the .22lr was just a bit small.

I ended up with a modified Mossy .410 as my new Jeep gun. But the AR-7 was just relegated to the back of the safe. It now resides in the GHB in my wife's car. With that, and she's pretty good with it, and her usual carry piece, I figure she's in pretty good shape.

I liked the modified Mossy for my Jeep so much, I ended up doing similar mods to a 20 ga Franchi that I've had for over three decades. So, now my Jeep, wife's sedan and my work truck all have take down long guns on board when we leave the house.

I can assemble the AR-7 and the Mossy in about the same time, and the Franchi just a bit longer. I haven't assembled a broken down 10/22 takedown so I can't compare assembly speeds. On the plus side, the Mossy and Franchi are going to hit much harder than any .22 lr rifle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I bought a new Henry AR7 8 or 10 years ago. I was never happy with the reliability and the front sight was prone to slide out of the dovetail. A friend wanted it and he got a good deal after he shot it.
My daughter and I each have a youth size 10/22 (shortened stock and 16" barrel). They don't take up much space and they work.
Since selling the AR7 I've built up a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions threaded upper and a micro Aimpoint to use in it's place.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Looks like a nice accessory for the AR-7
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251164641315?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I did a fairly compact model 12 Winchester for travel. The main idea was something I could have in a day pack for hiking in Canada when travelling through to Alaska. I haven't been back through since I did the model 12, but it makes a nice motel gun when travelling. I chopped the barrel to 20" and added decent sights, pad and sling. I had a case made for it when taken down. Its fine for the travel role, but I'm not much of a shotgun fan in general. If I could lay hands on a takedown 94 or 92 I'd consider it more useful.

Oh well, I had pics, but am getting a notice that they have to be less than 1000 pixels wide, which my photobucket settings are. Not sure why they wont post. The pics show as being 700-something X 400-something in size, smaller than the picture posted above.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, that is a must have for your AR-7!
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:Mike, that is a must have for your AR-7!
What would be your recommendation to screw onto the end of
that adapter?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a Henry AR7 survival rifle, it did do what was on the box but I found it a bit slow to get assembled and it felt clumsy in use, I could have lived with that but my 9422 is so much better the AR7 hardly got any use.
I think the Chiappa Little Badger might be a better bug out rifle for taking small game quickly, as it snaps together pretty quick.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I voted with my wallet on this one ---- I'm with everyone else who likes the 1022 TD ---- I have a couple other 10/22 variants, a few magazines, -- the case is non-descript if you do something about the Ruger logo --- love this thing (shown next to a regular stainless carbine to show the nearly identical dimensions ) -- This one , despite the plastic furniture , is a real rifle in every respect ---- The AR-7 has a reputation for being a lot more finicky to deal with

I've downsized my modest collection quite a bit --- The TD Ruger and a bull barrel target model made the cut, the standard carbine in the picture didn't -- TD is on the "don't sell" side of the gun room :)

----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I just don't understand this bug out concept.

Your safest place is at home. If things get that bad on the outside, your going to need more than just yourself, a bag of food, and a .22. Friends will be killing friends and there will be no safe place outside of the home, unless you live in the Rockies and have a bunker to go to.

The way I see it, if your equipped with a "bug out bag" and any kind of a weapon, you will most likely live a few days or a week before you get zapped or die of hunger, thirst, or bad nerves, which most people will get due to the uncertainty of surviving. The exceptions here are real deal survival people who have the skills and are in an area where no one else is.

I'll take my chances in my own fort. Plenty of food, water, shelter, any gun I so choose, along with massive amounts of ammo for multiple weapons.....something you cannot do when your on your own.

If my fort gets focused on, so be it. I'll leave more of them pushing up daisies before they can get me.

A bug out bag for the average guy is wishful thinking.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Always wanted an AR7 growing up and bought one when Henry re-introduced them. Possibly the worst gun I've ever owned. Decided my Ruger MKII 22/45 was the way to go if/when I needed a compact .22lr. Better gun, more reliable, accuracy on par with practice, no parts to fall off and lose (losing the rubber cap off the stock of the AR7 twice in one night while coon hunting was enough for me).
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:I just don't understand this bug out concept.
Bugging out makes as much sense as preparing for the zombie apocalypse or the glacial melt. It's just a fun topic people like to muse about. Don't be a party-pooper :D
How many folks you know that have a .416 Rigby or similar Safari Express super duper Cape Buffalo/olyphant killer rifle that will most likely never, ever actually set foot on Africa let alone use the rifle for what it was actually designed? It's just fun for them to own and dream.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

casastahle wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Mike, that is a must have for your AR-7!
What would be your recommendation to screw onto the end of
that adapter?
Never mind,
My local ACE hardware has the answer to that question.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ah0X92wdY
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

-------

For me , its not about an end of the world scenario --, its more my "Taking a jeep trip to Moab, or SE Oklahoma , " type box or bag --- somewhere where I may be out of cell range, miles off the beaten path, but the intent of the trip is not firearms related -- be better to call it a JIC bag , or Just-in-case

-- sometimes stuff happens , and I typically always have a defensive pistol or 2 somewhere close as well if a meth head needs some 10mm persuasion, but you bever know when a trip out will present some unexpected plinking opportunities :)

Just my take -
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:
Bugging out makes as much sense as preparing for the zombie apocalypse or the glacial melt. It's just a fun topic people like to muse about. Don't be a party-pooper :D
How many folks you know that have a .416 Rigby or similar Safari Express super duper Cape Buffalo/olyphant killer rifle that will most likely never, ever actually set foot on Africa let alone use the rifle for what it was actually designed? It's just fun for them to own and dream.
I want a .375 H&H ! I probably will use it on a Buff hunt though :)
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar wrote:
vancelw wrote:
I want a .375 H&H ! I probably will use it on a Buff hunt though :)
I want a fine double rifle myself. If I ever get one it would probably only be used on hogs unless I down-loaded and used it on deer. Still want one, though. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
I like your choice of words....10 mm persuasion. :D

Vance is from Texas where there is probably the last of the people who have common sense. I hear ya Vance! You guys would be amazed at what I hear up here in the northeast. My buddy Tommy, who owns Targetmaster tells me stories that if you guys heard down there, you would be laughing so hard, you would pis$ yourself.

Just for starters, there are MANY guys who spend the big bucks for high dollar AR-15's, decked out with $1,000 ACOGS, 15 30 rd. Mag Pul mags, 100 rd. Surefire mags, deluxe custom cases, bi pods, lights....on and on..........and they don't buy ammo, saying they will "get around to it". We know they are not buying ammo elsewhere as prices at Targetmaster are very hard to beat (he is factory direct, no distributor involved) and he has every conceivable kind there, from cheap UMC, Lake City green tip, Winchester 55 gr., Remington Premier 69 gr. Matchkings, Federal XM193, and others that escape my little mind.

He has all kinds of MRE's for sale and these same guys say, "I don't need them, I'll just go out and shoot some deer" :D I tell those same guys that might work for a couple of days and then YOU will be hunted and all of your stuff taken from your dead body. Dummys.........stay home----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Your safest place is at home. If things get that bad on the outside, your going to need more than just yourself, a bag of food, and a .22. Friends will be killing friends and there will be no safe place outside of the home, unless you live in the Rockies and have a bunker to go to.

The way I see it, if your equipped with a "bug out bag" and any kind of a weapon, you will most likely live a few days or a week before you get zapped or die of hunger, thirst, or bad nerves, which most people will get due to the uncertainty of surviving. The exceptions here are real deal survival people who have the skills and are in an area where no one else is.

I'll take my chances in my own fort. Plenty of food, water, shelter, any gun I so choose, along with massive amounts of ammo for multiple weapons.....something you cannot do when your on your own.

If my fort gets focused on, so be it. I'll leave more of them pushing up daisies before they can get me.

Of course, there is the converse... the "Get home Kit" which would actually be less "live off the land" oriented and more E&E/fighing oriented...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, I have a tactical innovations can. Model TAC65. I got it down in east prospect. ;)

Also, in Glen rock at freedom Armory they are now making their own cans and selling them. Didn't know if you knew that.

What ever you try, I could bring my can to the range and you could try it out. Can't leave it with you but we can use it together.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI, I agree. My BOB is designed to get me back to my home or hideaway cottage in the event of a breakdown or civil unrest that springs up.
Mike Johnson,

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, I don't have a BOB. Short of the house burning down or tumbling down in an earthquake, I'll stay put. Food won't be a problem, and I have an entire ocean of water available. But, I do have GHBs (get home bags) in all of my vehicles.

The jeep, of course, has an EGSB (emergency got stuck bag). If I can't unstick it, I'm just gonna sit and wait for someone to show up. If I go out alone, the wife knows where I'm going and when I'll be back. If I don't call, she activates the EFTFN (emergency find the fool network) which so far has had 100% success. And that's assuming both the cell and shortwave don't work.

I've actually found that the cell works better out in the desert than it does in downtown LA. Heck, I've got a better chance getting a cell signal out there than I do on a major street a few blocks from my house. Too many places are in shadows to get a good signal.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:Mike, I have a tactical innovations can. Model TAC65. I got it down in east prospect. ;)

Also, in Glen rock at freedom Armory they are now making their own cans and selling them. Didn't know if you knew that.

What ever you try, I could bring my can to the range and you could try it out. Can't leave it with you but we can use it together.
Thanks for the info. Mike.
After I get the camo AR-7, I'm going to get that threaded adaptor
that's listed on eBay. Then I just have to try my hand at making a
can or two like the ones in that YouTube video. 8)