How to thin the herd

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

How to thin the herd

Post by big bear »

Too many??!!
Any tips on how to thin the herd and not regret it? fer instance...take down Savage 99, 300 savage. 70% condition, but only take down Savage I have.Savage99 250-3000, got 3, one is an R model another like new, third with Redfield receiver sight,....Garands...nope can't sell.Model71's, nope, rifles in 358Win, 375Win, nope.Get my drift? Tips from old guys only appreciated.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to thin the herd

Post by Mescalero »

I have too many, and no heir to leave them to.
The only thing I have found to work is to give them away and I have done that, but have not really made a dent.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I am in the same boat, nobody to leave them to, but I am not getting rid of any more. Every time I sell a gun within 6 months I will be wishing I had it back. Will probably leave them to my gun club to be auctioned off or something.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The ones I gave away, within 6 months I was kicking myself for having done it.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Never have too many guns. If'n yer concerned about where they go after yer gone, will them to a shooting organization, someone you think will appreciate them, or have the executor of yer estate auction them off and donate the proceeds to your favorite charity. If you're running outtta room in yer house, get a storage container and store non-essential stuff, like furniture, clothes, etc. Until then, even if you don't shoot them, you can appreciate them, prolly more than anyone else; enjoy... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

mikld wrote:Never have too many guns. If'n yer concerned about where they go after yer gone, will them to a shooting organization, someone you think will appreciate them, or have the executor of yer estate auction them off and donate the proceeds to your favorite charity:mrgreen:
There are a few that I told my wife I'd rather her not have to get rid of, but I have written for her a pretty detailed explanation of where she should be able to find current values if that ever comes up

But if it is just thinning the herd -- I'd list 'em on here in the classifieds , - I recently sold a few and its much easier to ship a gun than I thought it was
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Compared to what your major assets are worth, like the house, the guns are a drop in the bucket. Enjoy 'em. Once they throw the dirt in your face, all of the shootin' is over.------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:...Once they throw the dirt in your face, all of the shootin' is over.------------6
Not necessarily true. I'm off to the huge shooting range in the sky, where all shots are in "X" ring, ding steel, and someone else field dresses your kill... Folks like Chef Ramsey prepare your meals. Yep, that be heaven!

Oh yeah, I'm available for adoption.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Of all the guns I've ever sold or traded, there have only been 2 that I haven't regretted getting rid of. I only buy what I like, so there will be a better chance it will get used. If it gets used, I see no reason to part with it. Just my take. The only tip I can give is that if you think you have to get rid of some, get rid of the ones that you shoot the least and that you think you would miss the least. Guns are usually replaceable, but if you think you are going to want to replace it later, don't get rid of it in the first place.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have some that I like and will be with me to the end, they are not made/ imported anymore and those that do sell them want out of reach prices for them.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I don't think there's a one that I haven't regretted parting with.

Maybe the PPK/s I had, but even that one I could have happily kept if I hadn't been saving for something else.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

They are just "things", not your children. I've never had a regret. I've always been dispassionate & pragmatic about selling "things". It's like when you sell your home....take the emotion out of it and treat it as business.

What you want, what the Blue Book says and what the market is willing to pay are three different prices. Just remember that if you bought junk it will stay junk.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"What you want, what the Blue Book says and what the market is willing to pay are three different prices. Just remember that if you bought junk it will stay junk."
--jdad

BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's a few I wish I'd never sold but most were investments for when
I needed it. Recently made the decision to part with a few. Most I haven't
fired in over a year or are overlapped by another rifle/cal combo.
I always start with duplicates or replaceable pieces. Then on to bigger
$ items if I really need the cash.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sell guns? Who me? Ok, I've had several come and go :wink: Ok several hundred. I don't have a problem selling, bartering or giving away firearms. When they no longer serve a perceived need, then they go. My collection is way down and likely to get smaller. Good luck in your choices of those you desire to keep and those that just collect dust.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote:...Once they throw the dirt in your face, all of the shootin' is over.------------6
Not necessarily true. I'm off to the huge shooting range in the sky, where all shots are in "X" ring, ding steel, and someone else field dresses your kill...
Where's the fun in that? I SOLD an M4gery because it was boringly accurate. Eternity without Challenge would by inprisonment in a (pretty) cage...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am sure Six would jump at the chance to get my Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 Auto.
But if you keep entertaining me and making me laugh, I'll send you the contact info for the chick I am leaning to, to handle that part of the estate.
And you can tell her you are my bud from leverguns, I tell her about leverguns.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am sending my address. Just put them in the woodshed behind the garage.
I will put them away when I get back from the gun club. Thanks. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The thing that seems to SUCK is that so many of you "have no heirs to leave your guns to"... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

An interesting development, is it not?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:I am sure Six would jump at the chance to get my Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 Auto.
But if you keep entertaining me and making me laugh, I'll send you the contact info for the chick I am leaning to, to handle that part of the estate.
And you can tell her you are my bud from leverguns, I tell her about leverguns.com
Mes,
That one hit a nerve. You are absolutely right in my desire to have, hold, and shoot one of those in 45. Did you ever notice that after spending serious money on this gun or that gun, another one comes up that you want? Happened to me last year after spending a months salary on an 1873. I could have had one of those Marlins in 45 for 500 and my shoebox of 100 dollar bills was very low which gave me the Heebie jeebies, so I turned it down.

I got an idea..........when I come to pick up the old Jeep, maybe, just maybe you can slip that Marlin under the seat as a surprise when I get home. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

See,
That's what I like about you Six, if you are in for a penny; you are in for a pound!
Those guns are just too much fun!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

My dad had one of those camp carbines in 45. He'd traded it away by the time he died though.

I don't have heirs to speak of either, just a nephew who's mother will probably ensure that he's horrified by the mere thought of a gun by the time he's 18. I'm saving a couple of my dad's guns for him, just in case the kid shows a bit of character and ignores my sister's more foolish flights of worry :mrgreen:

Back to thinning the herd though, the few guns I've sold were all either the only ones in their caliber, or calibers I wasn't in to. That's a good place to start.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

92&94,
My brother has done that to my niece.
When my mother died, my brother insisted I give her Cadillac to my niece.
I did, she took it to the Caddy dealer and had it worked on.
Three thousand dollars later, I paid for it; and she sold the car.
The young ones of today, will not stand against a determined enemy.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

OHHH...I thought you were talking about the theory of Darwinism..? what ever you do don't ask me about what gun to keep and what gun to send down the road...GOOD LUCK... :)
bear.natural selection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

It sounds like you don't really want to get rid of any (and I don't blame you)
a few years ago I was gifted with 2 nice Winchesters by my Dad & a Uncle
I was overwhelmed when they gave them to me, and by the mist in there eyes
the feeling was mutual, them guns will be handed down some day
the rest of the herd, I just don't know?
I am way past middle age

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll let my Daughter cherry-pick what she wants someday. If I should go to "The Great Levergun Site In The Sky" a little early, I've told her of be very picky selling stuff, and to sell them one at a time instead of taking the first lowball offer for all of them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

92&94 wrote:I don't have heirs to speak of either, just a nephew who's mother will probably ensure that he's horrified by the mere thought of a gun by the time he's 18. I'm saving a couple of my dad's guns for him, just in case the kid shows a bit of character and ignores my sister's more foolish flights of worry :mrgreen:

Uggghh --- this may be the case for me too ---- My neph doesn't have much interest, and my brother doesn't have much interest in teaching him

--- im afraid he will be a pansy by the time he's, 20-30-40 years old (but I sincerely hope not)
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I had high hopes for the niece, but my brother sure hosed that up.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

This question always comes up but the answer is you can't do it without some regrets. Most of the regrets aren't about the guns though. They are about old eyes, old knees, and wanting to do it all again but knowing you can't. Guns are just things and no matter how much we like old guns they belonged to someone else before we got them and will belong to someone else when we don't have them any more.

It is nice to enjoy them but something happens one day. There is a time when you say "I will get this gun and take it to somewhere and hunt with it". But a day comes when you say "No I won't". I often think how my Grandfather would never own all the guns I have, much less all the guns that have gone through my hands over the years. He bought nothing he didn't need.

So don't get bogged down by a bunch of guns you never shoot. I have seen widows get bogged down with guns guys couldn't let go of and the money would have helped them more. The guns just worry them and they are burdened enough when their husband passes.

It is always good to find someone to give at least some of them to. It can be hard to find just the right person but they are out there. It is best to give them stuff when they are young and can use it instead of waiting until you are so old you haven't used it for years but they have already had their adventures.

There are very few guns I wish I had back and I know if I did have them back I wouldn't really use them. Mercifully, once I sell a gun I tend to forget it. So the bottom line is enjoy your stuff but remember you won't be taking it with you. Don't worry too much about what will happen to it.

Remember the post a few years ago where the old timer with no heir gave an 1873 Winchester to a 14 year old neighbor boy who then killed his first deer with it? That was cool.

We all face the time when we realize we have more stuff than we know what to do with. When it is really cool, irreplaceable stuff it just makes it that much harder to deal with. Just be thankful you got a chance to enjoy it instead of not.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Dave, very wise words...

This in particular, I can identify with from personal experience:

"It is always good to find someone to give at least some of them to. It can be hard to find just the right person but they are out there. It is best to give them stuff when they are young and can use it instead of waiting until you are so old you haven't used it for years but they have already had their adventures."

Also, they have a lot of happy memories attached to them if given to them when they are younger and enjoyed
together in outings with you, rather than having them left to them as an "heirloom" that was never used for
the previous 20 years...

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
bar j
Levergunner

Post by bar j »

John in MS wrote:Dave, very wise words...

This in particular, I can identify with from personal experience:

"It is always good to find someone to give at least some of them to. It can be hard to find just the right person but they are out there. It is best to give them stuff when they are young and can use it instead of waiting until you are so old you haven't used it for years but they have already had their adventures."

Also, they have a lot of happy memories attached to them if given to them when they are younger and enjoyed
together in outings with you, rather than having them left to them as an "heirloom" that was never used for
the previous 20 years...

John

I agree completely. Share them and make memories and give them away early. I use to go shoot with my now deceased business partner. Now I have several of his guns. They mean a whole lot more because we used to shoot them together.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have regretted a few that I have traded/sold but for the most part my safe has a revolving door. Bring a couple in use them for a while then try something else. I have lately (within the last couple of years) been trying semi auto shotguns. I have come to the conclusion that I am more of a pump kind of guy. I bought a Browning Auto 5 mag 12 ga and a Remington mod 11 16 ga, a bubba rem 1100 and a new H&R 12ga semi. The only one left is the Model 11, mainly because of the history and caliber. I am currently waiting on a Ithaca model 37 in 16 ga to arrive. It was rode hard and put away wet so I have a winter project ahead of me. If it comes out as I hope, the model 11 might be the next to go.
Lever rifles tend to stay in the safe or at least get used on a regularly.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote:
Not necessarily true. I'm off to the huge shooting range in the sky, where all shots are in "X" ring, ding steel, and someone else field dresses your kill... Folks like Chef Ramsey prepare your meals. Yep, that be heaven!

Oh yeah, I'm available for adoption.
:lol: me too.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have 8-10 that I use a fair amount. The others are just things I have acquired over the years and these kinda come and go. If something comes along that I really think I'll like, I'll give it a go. If I really do like it, it's a keeper, if not there she goes for something else. Some times I make a little, sometimes I lose a little, but in the grand skeem of things I break even and have fun too.