Personal challenge to Kismet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Personal challenge to Kismet

Post by AmBraCol »

Are you capable of posting an on topic post (at least firearms related) or are you merely here as a pot stirrer? There's plenty of room for all kinds of opinions on a wide variety of subjects. However I'm beginning to get the feeling that your purpose here is not to engage in discussion of firearms and the shooting sports in general but rather to raise a ruckus. Please feel free to disprove my theory about your motives. This is not an attempt to silence you, it is merely an attempt to see if there's more to you than controversy.

Sincerely,

Paul
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

kismet

Main Entry: kis·met
Pronunciation: \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Turkish, from Arabic qisma portion, lot
Date: 1834
1 : fate 1
2 : fate 2a
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:kismet

Main Entry: kis·met
Pronunciation: \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Turkish, from Arabic qisma portion, lot
Date: 1834
1 : fate 1
2 : fate 2a
And lately we could add to it another definition as well... :D But I won't. I'd rather he have the chance to prove my opinion wrong. In other words, my challenge is to the person who posts as kismet and signs as Michael.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I read the science vs. God post with sadness.

Frankly, God does not need my defense. But I will confess my faith regardless of what may occur. I don't mind that other folks don't feel that way, but why be so angry about it?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:I read the science vs. God post with sadness.

Frankly, God does not need my defense. But I will confess my faith regardless of what may occur. I don't mind that other folks don't feel that way, but why be so angry about it?
Angry? I hope that is not the tone I'm writing with. That is not my intent, nor is it the spirit with which I offer this challenge. I truly wish to know, is there more to this person than pot stirring? And I ask that knowing that I too am often guilty of stirring pots that are better left still. However, I also post on topic at times. :shock: :) :lol: So I'm curious, honestly curious, as to whether the person who posts as "kismet" is capable of doing the same. And if that seems angry, well I'm not sure how to put a happier face on it. Guess I was just born ugly. :D :) 8)
Paul - in Pereira

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I was not implying that you were angry. I don't know if you were or not. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No knowledge of him but he did post a thread on maple stocks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kismet

There is a whole slew of references here.

It has everything from "Divine destiny" in Islam to a song written by Elvis.

Doesn't seem like a "bad" person, but I do get the "pot stirring" feeling.

I've never entered a post myself for the intent of stirring the pot, but I'm sure
it has been seen as such because I like to drive home a point.

It may be he is just a hard-head like me but from a different point of view.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Paul,
I read some of his posts and he does think he is something special, as he certainly defies the general thinking of members here. He knows he is smart and we know he is an aetheist. The cats gotta go. We don't need some devil lurking around here so tell him to hit the road.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Whoa, now, Dangit......... You gonna start banning people that disagree with you? That's a no-go, in my opinion....Right on the edge of a rather sharp remark.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Burn the witch....burn the witch....burn the witch.......Geeeez, how comical.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Yep, He's hanging in there like a "Hair in a Biscuit"..! :shock:

On the other hand, having "that type" around makes it easier to know who needs prayer and who doesn't...! :D
Last edited by deerwhacker444 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My thoughts on the issue at hand:

1) Paul, you are letting this guy and his opinions get under your skin.

2) I would hope we could keep the discussions on this board to the issues and not the person. I know this has not always been the case, but hope springs eternal.

3) I don't agree with most of his opinions, but I do appreciate his ability to present them in an intelligent manner.

4) I am not the decider of who is welcome to stay and who must go. I would think Paco would be the only person who can take that position.

5) Diversity of opinion is not a bad thing. A battle of the wits only helps sharpen our thinking. The problems seems to be that some folks come to that battle of wits not fully armed. When the run out of ammo, they just get mad and start calling names.

6) I would hate for this board to become some sort of Taliban who drives from it's midst those who do not conform in every way to what they think is common thinking/doctrine of the board.

7) Way to many folks have left this board, due to the intolerance (religious and political) of some of the members.

8) Just ignore the guy if he bothers you. I keep a small list of folks I just won't engage in coversation or respond to their foolishness. Works for me!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gotta say, I'm with TTT & Charles here.

If a man's faith can be rocked/wrecked by argument, then it's not really a very solid faith.

Whether or not that is a good thing or not is up to your POV.

(i.e. rocking/wrecking somebody elses's faith = good, but wrecking yours = bad or some such.)

Somehow Faith survived the realization that the Earth was not the center of the Universe - no matter how heretical that idea was in the 1600s - and I expect it will survive Macroevolution too.

And I miss Junior... :cry:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BlaineG wrote:Whoa, now, Dangit......... You gonna start banning people that disagree with you? That's a no-go, in my opinion....Right on the edge of a rather sharp remark.....
I would agree with this....letting others talk in freedom. Truth will rise to to the top through debate as long as good men don't remain silent. Also, let's welcome any attempts to mock our Christian faith....there's nothing to hide. The Christian faith is one which can be scrutinized down to it's smallest detail, and it's claims still stands like a Rock after nearly 2000 years. Those who come in with the minds and hearts closed off, it will always be folly to them, no matter what one says. But you never know what will happen down the road to any person to change their viewpoint. These things are out of our control.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I ignored him after his first posts... That is the easiest way to get rid of his type. Gotta feel sorry for him in a way, eerrr NOT..
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Charles wrote:My thoughts on the issue at hand:

1) Paul, you are letting this guy and his opinions get under your skin.

2) I would hope we could keep the discussions on this board to the issues and not the person. I know this has not always been the case, but hope springs eternal.

3) I don't agree with most of his opinions, but I do appreciate his ability to present them in an intelligent manner.
Excellent points all, Charles. Except he's not under my skin. Personally, I find him amusing. I've heard his arguments before, and they still ring hollow. It is my endeavor to go back over points in which I disagree with certain ideas and reconsider - did I overlook something? So it's amusing to me when someone tells me "You believe that because your religious group tells you to." Chuckle, snort, giggle, cough, choke!!!Yeah, right. Anyway, this particular thread was started in the hope of seeing if there's more to this character than pot stirring. Perhaps there is. Perhaps he DOES own a levergun and actually is interested in the shooting sports in general. And maybe not. As for banning or shutting down an account, that's a weapon in our armory that seldom gets dusted off, let alone used. The ignore button works well. :D

Anyway, we'll see what we shall see.
Paul - in Pereira

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I know I may be showing my Polish side here :roll:

Or at best my lack of prowess with a computer.

There is an "ignore button"?

I probably wouldn't use it (if such a thing exists) cuz the more info I have the
better to form thoughts.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, because what may be known about God is manifest among them, for God made it manifest to them. For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish and turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed creatures and creeping things.
Therefore God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, that their bodies might be dishonored among them, even those who exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created, who is blessed forever. Amen.
ROMANS 1:18-25
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Jeeps wrote:I know I may be showing my Polish side here :roll:

I probably wouldn't use it (if such a thing exists) cuz the more info I have the
better to form thoughts.
Well, there is. But it's not on the computer. It must be mentally engaged, and works well when there is a conflict of personality. I rarely use it, but it can be handy when certain persons insist on being a pain. They're only a pain if I pay attention to them, so that's where the ignore button comes in. I've never used it over a mere difference of opinion - only in the case of personality conflict in which it is obvious that someone's not engaging in dialog but rather attempting to be a pain - "just because"...

So it's not the polish blood, it's the obscure reference to an inexistent and yet handy "button"... :D
Paul - in Pereira

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Paul... I see where the guy is coming from with the "group think" remark. It doesn't apply to you and I hope it doesn't apply to me, but he has a point.

The vast majority of religious folks, regardless of the religion are not critical thinkers, but just swallow what their culture, and/or religious leaders tell them without giving it much thought. If it were not so, there would not be so many nutty religious groups on this earth. Millions of folks will swallow the most outlandish things if is are couched as religion. Folks who are otherwise good thinkers, place their reason on hold when it comes to religion and think faith requires the suspension of thinking.

Now I believe orthodox/Biblical Christianity is very reasonable. But most Christians can't back up what they believe with a reasoned argument. Many can, but most can not.

I have spent the past four decades as a teacher of the Christian Faith and I won't teach anything that doesn't make sense and is not resonable. That doesn't mean I teach science, but reason and logic is not religated to the secular field of thinking.

I have had many folks tell me, that thanks to me, they now understand the faith they have held for many years. On one hand, I like the complement, but on the other hand I find that sorta scary.

Religious groups of all stripes are far, far, far to dependent of their doctrine and religious leaders to do their thinking for them. Faith and reason are not enemies, but reason helps us understand our faith and brings it onto the head as well as the heart. It makes us stronger.

So, the bottom line is I understand where Kismet is coming from with that crack and he would be right more often than he would be wrong. Present company excepted of course :o
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I just came from the Ben Stein movie thread and now I understand the gist of
this thread a bit more, I'm not jumping into that other thread, I wouldn't be
any help but to look like an uninformed follower.

It seems he yearns for confrontation, his parents probably never let him get
a word in about anything.

His intelligence is without doubt, or at least his ability to put forth a sound argument.
Although asking someone to prove "faith" is the ultimate easiest
way to give yourself an argumentative high. For those who enjoy the "pong"
effect of continuously throwing things back in your face it is to be relished.

Probably the product of sending a meek yet intelligent person into a system
full of secular-progressive college professors.

It would probably be flipped had he been sent to a jihad training camp.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF INDOCTRINATION.

There is a reason why I am an America loving Catholic man who is proud
of serving in the Marine Corps and holding doors open for women.

A reason why I would reach for a elderly persons hand coming down steps.

A reason why I will not lie, cheat, or steal.

I was properly indoctrinated.

Believe it or not, this is what makes the world go round.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

AmBraCol wrote:
Jeeps wrote:I know I may be showing my Polish side here :roll:

better to form thoughts.
Well, there is. But it's not on the computer. It must be mentally engaged, and works well when there is a conflict of personality. I rarely use it, but it can be handy when certain persons insist on being a pain. They're only a pain if I pay attention to them, so that's where the ignore button comes in. I've never used it over a mere difference of opinion - only in the case of personality conflict in which it is obvious that someone's not engaging in dialog but rather attempting to be a pain - "just because"...

So it's not the polish blood, it's the obscure reference to an inexistent and yet handy "button"... :D
I had a feeling it was thought based, but I just had to know :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Charles wrote:Paul... I see where the guy is coming from with the "group think" remark. It doesn't apply to you and I hope it doesn't apply to me, but he has a point.
This is true, group think is a problem - and it's not limited to religious folks at all. :-) It's a human weakness, folks are too lazy to think for themselves, they want someone to do it for them. Shucks, someone's complaining because I tell him to do more research - instead of telling him what to believe. :shock: And then accuses me of "group think". Kind of amusing, to say the least.

One of my biggest struggles is to get folks to THINK. Modern religion is all about FEEL, with folks forgetting the Lord's words, "Come, let us reason together."

The founders of what has become "modern science" were Christian men. They broke out of the mold and looked for order and reason in the world and universe around them. Their belief in a rational God gave them the courage to seek for reason in what too many considered to be chaos. And now we're being told that intelligent design is a "religious discipline, not a scientific one". Yeah. Right. Again, group think, assuming that if one's careful studies display the hand of a creator then one is some how sullying science. Intelligent Design gave us the very basis upon which the scientific method came about.

It is easier to allow one's self to be fed, rather than gathering and preparing one's own food. But when it comes to matters of importance, we can not afford that luxury. We should search out and seek the truth - and that's more than the rabid darwinists today are willing to do. Kirk's posts yesterday on the subject are quite enlightening. I need to take the time to finish the article he linked to. Good stuff there.
Paul - in Pereira

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

God gave Men Reason and a cause for Faith.

Men gave Men Religion and a cause for Politics... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:God gave Men Reason and a cause for Faith.

Men gave Men Religion and a cause for Politics... :wink:

:shock: :D :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

One of my biggest struggles is to get folks to THINK. Modern religion is all about FEEL, with folks forgetting the Lord's words, "Come, let us reason together"

Paul... Those are true words from the headwaters! I face the same challenge.

Folks who have been taught to be anti-religion, have been taught that it is devoid of reason and intellect. Religious people just must be from the lower classes and not capable of reason and intellect. It is therefore assumed, than religion must be the produce of group think.

I came to faith in Christ rather late at age 29 and the above is the way I thought. My point of need was spiritual and not intellectual, but once I allowed faith to enter my heart, the intellect of the Gospel became very, very evident.

One of the chief problems if not the chief problem if that the logic of the world and the logic of Christ are mirror images with everything in reverse.
The world says take care of your self..Jesus say take care of others. The world say the first shall be the most important..Jesus say that last shall be first. The world says strive to be the master..Jesus says strive to be a servant. and on and on and on.

Logic and reason have become so corrupted by the thinking of the world, that black has become white and good has become evil. It is no wonder that folks are confused. It is hard to get folks to question the basis assumptions of the world in which they live.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

It could just be me, but it seems as though we are talking about discounting
peoples view on things if they can't form a proper paragraph or if they speak
from their hearts more than their minds. I know the more knowledge you have
the better off you are. Some people are not intellectually on par or have a vast
pool of reference to compete with learned types.

This does not make a man wrong, just easier to belittle, or to make his ideas
seem wrong or not worthy of attention through word play.

I'm gonna have to say that most of our problems today come from people who
are TOO intelligent running around taking advantage of situations and laws and
people for their own benefit.

If there was no "group think" then "we the people" would be shot out the
window with the constitution.

Back to Kismet, I don't have a problem with him being on the board unless
it is found that he is here for the sole enjoyment of tormenting people based
on their beliefs whether they are political or faith based.

Those are decisions for our moderators to make based on what is best
for the board.

If indeed he is a troll then nip it in the bud.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Nope Jeep.. no such thing. Good communication skill are very helpful when it comes to..well..communicating. But good communications skills don't help with the content of the thought . That comes from having a good functional brain.

Group think is neither good or bad in itself. It all depends on what the group thinks. Learning to think criticaly helps to tell the difference. Critical thinking is a learned skill.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I hear you there.

Funny thing is, I took the usual battery of tests when I went into the service.
I had a GT of 130, well scores ranging from 126 to 132.

But I'll be darned if it doesn't take me 3 or 4 proof readings of my posts to
make sure I'm actually saying what I'm trying to say. Sometimes having to
wipe out three or four paragraphs cuz they sound silly.

I personally was never practiced at putting thoughts to paper/forums being
more of a talker.

Go figure.

Maybe twenty years of driving a truck did something to me :roll:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I guess I'm not the enlightened one. Maybe its the German in me not to be a Pacifist. The Italian in me lets me talk about it in public. :D I have spent most of my life around the Amish who live their lives on Pacifism and its just not for me. When I have a problem with someone, first, I create distance to give them the opportunity to go about their life, and if that don't work, they get hunted like a coyote.
Maybe its because I'm from the East where aggression and predation is rampant. You know, survival instincts kick in about 3 times a day. I still say this Kismet cat has to hit the road.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Re: Personal challenge to Kismet

Post by Kismet »

AmBraCol wrote:Are you capable of posting an on topic post (at least firearms related) or are you merely here as a pot stirrer? There's plenty of room for all kinds of opinions on a wide variety of subjects. However I'm beginning to get the feeling that your purpose here is not to engage in discussion of firearms and the shooting sports in general but rather to raise a ruckus. Please feel free to disprove my theory about your motives. This is not an attempt to silence you, it is merely an attempt to see if there's more to you than controversy.

Sincerely,

Paul
Wow, I get called out and there are two pages of comments before I can even get to responding. First, regarding the specific question of my presence here - I am a little disappointed that you, Paul, in particular called me out because in the Spitzer thread you actually quoted my post in which I answered your question. (Of course, I have since learned that people don't even seem to read my posts, so I guess that shouldn't be a surprise! :wink: ) Here it is again with a little more detail about me...

A couple months back I decided to get back into hunting. I hunted as a kid in NE Oregon - deer, elk, birds - but, I hadn't hunted since moving away after high school. I began to think about guns and got a bug for a levergun. I used to hunt with a .30'06 and as a very scrawny teenager, the recoil was not comfortable. Now I live in NH so I certainly don't need that much gun, but I still want to get back to OR for an elk hunt and, who knows, maybe I will draw a moose tag. Thought about the Marlin .308, but after playing with both I chose the BLR 81 in .308. In my quest for information I joined the MarlinOwners site, I joined the Firing Line, I joined the Shooters Forum, and I joined here. I posted gun related questions on all those sites, but my signup here took some time to go through and by then I had already purchased my BLR.

Since then I have still been perusing the sites and, interestingly, this site seems to have at least as many "Political" posts as gun posts. Although I have started one gun related the thread, I have certainly not started any political posts - only responded to those already created. From the beginning I have neither hid my identity or my general views. As I told you in that first post, I am a prosecutor here in NH. (Kismet, a word that does have some great underlying meaning, is my dog's name - and we didn't even name her!)

Other details... After high school I spent one year at Haverford College in PA; left Haverford to spend about 8 months in Lesotho, Africa, living in a village and doing community development work with a local ex-pat; came back and fought forest fires and worked at a ski resort; went back to college at Colorado College in Colorado Springs (home to Dr. Dobson) (if you can spare an extra prayer, CC is playing in the NCAA tournament starting this weekend); worked my summers as a river guide on the Snake and Salmon in Idaho; majored in biology; worked for one year at the National Institute of Mental Health doing basic science research in a neuropsych lab before deciding I didn't like to be cooped up in a lab; went to law school at Cornell; got a job at a firm in NH; left the firm because I didn't like fighting over other people's money; joined the county attorney's office to prosecute; going back to Africa this summer - Tanzania - on a "volunteer vacation"; married, no kids, two dogs.

I think that should about do it. Any questions?

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Yea, I have a question.

Read your resume and still can't determine where you got the chip on your shoulder.

Your quote at the bottom of your posts is an intentional provocation.

Other people can quote as well:
"Anyone who is a conservative before the age of 30 has no heart, anyone who is a liberal past the age of 30 has no brain" Winston Churchill.

I am not in favor of expelling a person from a site just because they are rude, insensitive and tend to act as a bully safely behind a glass screen.
Such behavior simply leads me to assume the person is angry or hurting and, therefore, they deserve not my scorn, but rather my prayers.
JR
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Are you here for the simple pleasure of causing others stress?

This is a website about leverguns and everyone talks like they are around
a campfire about guns, politics, or whatever the latest buzz is we may think
anyone might want to comment about.

We all know that along with the culture of guns, hunting, trapping, and other
outdoor activities usually go hand in hand with social conservatism.

Yes, the majority of this website is socially conservative. Me, I am more of a
libertarian/independent. Which basically means I see problems everywhere
with any form of government that dictates to the people.

Now to quote your signature line.
I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it.

* Letter from John Stuart Mill to the Conservative MP, Sir John Pakington (March 1866)
Now seeing as this is a hangout for mostly socially conservative people.
What are we to make of this signature? Your honestly not trying to hurt
peoples feelings?

Before you go off explaining about freedom of speech and yadayadayada
I don't care what you say or where you say it. But you have to realize that
what you say marks a mans character.

If I went around town insulting people wherever I had the chance to, well
right or wrong, someone's gonna label me a troublemaker.

I could be wrong, but I think you have that signature for the sole purpose
of patting yourself on the back for displaying it in front of the same people
it was meant to mock, and that was the very intention of the statement when
it was made, to mock.

If I am wrong, it won't be the first time :wink:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Post by Kismet »

Ok JR and Jeeps, I am guilty on the signature. I'm sorry. In my very limited defense, I will say that if you look at my first posts, I did not have such a line. I did not add it until well after I had been identified as posting liberal socialist cr*p and told to go post to myself! It was, however, intentionally provocative. (For the record, JR, I think your Churchill quote is great, too.)

Now, beyond that I don't think I have a "chip" on my shoulder. And I'm not quite sure how I am the bully when everyone else is ganging up on me!

I certainly like to debate the merits of your (generally speaking) conservative views against my (generally speaking) liberal views. The only thing I really dislike is when people don't actually think about their views. Just as many on this site call liberals "sheep" for believing in what they are told by politicians, many others might call religious believers "sheep" for believing what they are told by preachers. There are clearly some people on this site that have thought deeply about things, and those people have posted articulate and impressive responses. But, I guess I don't much care for the people that just call me an a-hole without even reading my posts.

On a final note, I am quite confident that if we were all sitting around a campfire that we would all have a pleasant discussion and I would not be expelled for being a :evil: . In this regard the internet is a mixed blessing - it allows us to speak with people we would otherwise never encounter, but it simultaneously makes it difficult to communicate tone and makes it easier to forget we are talking with real, live people. I have been fired up as I type some of these posts, but never angry.

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I'll try again I guess....

Are you here for the simple pleasure of causing others stress?

I only ask this so others may decide for themselves from reading your posts
whether you are being honest or not.

I know you could dance around me with words and make it seem as though
I am being paranoid or mean spirited.

I contend that you enjoy belittling others beliefs with your intellect.

It is what I feel. It is the vibe you put off.

I may be wrong, but again, not the first time. I can only say what I feel.

To do anything else would be to lie and do a disfavor to us both.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:Gotta say, I'm with TTT & Charles here.

Me to :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Fellas, am I missing who TTT is?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:
And here I was just trying to think of exactly the way to put this. +2

BTW, Kismet; I, for one, greatly admire the NH logo. Would that more politicians and governments, national and regional so espoused an ideal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JReed wrote:

Me three.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

WOW, shame on me I guess.

I see no comparison with Kismet and Junior.

On that note, goodnight and God bless.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

C. Cash wrote:Fellas, am I missing who TTT is?
Prolly me......Tubby The Tuba???

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Kismet...

I extend a warm handshake to you and a hearty welcome to the LeverGuns' campfire. I hope you plan to stick around a long time and contribute often. You strike me as the kind of Levergunner and citizen who can be counted on. I like that...a lot. Pull up a stump, Friend, let your voice be heard and share your interests and opinions with us.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote:[I, for one, greatly admire the NH logo. Would that more politicians and governments, national and regional so espoused an ideal.
Ah yes! I took a trip up that way a few years back and the boxcars of the regional railroad said "LIVE FREE OR DIE" on 'em. It's a beautiful thing. I hope they still paint 'em like that! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On every license plate issued by the State. NH is the sole state (in the contiguous 48, since I'm unfamiliar with AK & HI) that doesn't require seatbelt use for adults. That farcical nonsense foisted off on us by insurance companies only interested in their bottom line, law enforcement for their own machevallian schemes and state legislators for revenue purposes is one of my pet peeves.

My '55 Chevy maintains its yearly inspection and each year I have to instruct a new idiot (that likely doesn't read English any better than a new immigrant) that since it was not required at the date of production, no law has been passed that required it retrofit, it doesn't have to have them.

Stepping down off the soapbox and allowing the next person in line to have their say.

Kismet, hopefully your State Legislature has not seen fit to alter that status. As Mod71alaska said, we're usually not so strident, but... every once in a while...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Griff,
You have a 55 Chevy?
I thought I was a dinosaur with a 302 , 1972 Maverick
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Jeeps wrote:WOW, shame on me I guess.

I see no comparison with Kismet and Junior.

On that note, goodnight and God bless.
AMEN, Junior is a salt-of-the-earth good-guy who never believed he was superior to his God-fearing brothers even though he didn't always agree. I'd love to spend a week in the woods with Junior chasing hogs and fishing for bream. I don't always agree with Junior but I trust him like a brother.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mescalero1 wrote:Griff,
You have a 55 Chevy?
I thought I was a dinosaur with a 302 , 1972 Maverick
Yea, but I didn't buy it new! :lol: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I see no reason to hound anyone off this Forum for having strongly held opinions! Several of us gave Junior a hard time because of his strongly held opinions and now he's gone and this Forum is the poorer for it!

Of course that don't apply to anyone joining this Forum who does not love Leverguns!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My Maverick is a '74 w/ a 250 (302 is in the plans).

Oops! Talk about thread drift!!