Question about the B-I-G Smith revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Question about the B-I-G Smith revolvers

Post by Streetstar »

I have liquidated some of my inventory and was contemplating one of the Big Smith's -- for shooting longer distance silhouettes and stuff like that --- also because it falls into the "I don't know why-- I just want one" category

That said -- comparing the .460 to the .500, the 460 seems pretty favorable for its ability to shoot .454 -----

On the other hand , I don't shoot .38's out of my .357's because they seem marginally less accurate and they are more of a bear to clean --- I would think that phenomena would be magnified in a 460 as the 460 is a full 10mm or so longer than the 454 -- shooting a 454 or 45 would mean the bullet has a lot of freespace before it hits the rifling it seems and would thus have similar issues with accuracy and maintenance as shooting 38's out of a 357

The 500 is a dedicated chambering and would not have those issues -- but may be a bit more horsepower than I want to deal with
--- was thinking one of the Performance Center jobs with compensator , bipod and scope mounts --- those are 7 pound packages -----

My last (and possibly most rational/economical ) idea would be to settle on a caliber, then buy a barrel for my Encore to see if I actually like long distance plinking with big bore revolver cartridges before firing out big money for an X Frame ---- I already have a 15" barreled 45/70, but the 460 and 500 seem to be in a league of their own as far as pressure goes -- and I doubt my 45/70 barrel is even coming close to 460 velocity or pressure with the loads I shoot
----- Doug
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question about the B-I-G Smith revolvers

Post by wvfarrier »

Why not a 44?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I see used 460 and 500 S&W's all the time. They all seem to have a half box of ammo included, with the sale. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wvfarrier wrote:Why not a 44?
My S&W 629 PP is really all that would ever be needed loaded up with a 300gr hardcast over a stout load of BlueDot, or H110....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wvfarrier wrote:Why not a 44?
.44 is a great cartridge, but I am partial to .45 ---- I am admittedly a bit of a Colt fanboy as well , I was perusing GB and the .45 Anacondas BIN pricing was at 2k and above and the .44's were not that far behind :o

my first thought was ---- "Has the whole world gone completely crazy ?"

The anacondas and king Cobras are decent enough shooters, but that is hedging into Python territory , if not above some of them ----- insane for updated and over-bored Colt Troopers
----- Doug
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ive found the ruger super redhawk to be a fine revolver and the trigger and springs can be tuned up at the users level, order out a extra 45 colt cylinder for it if you dont want to worry about build up in the 454 cylinder. danny
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you want one that reason enough. :mrgreen: Plus you can buy a Hand-rifle in 500SW for a companion piece. But 5-7lbs for a scoped pistol, no thanks. I'd rather have a 50AE Automag with 44 conversion unit or a 1911 in .50 GI or a Redhawk in 45 or 454. Load your 45/70 Encore up with some max loads with heavy weight bullets and see how you like shooting it, especially paying attention to the recoils and muzzle blast. Range report when you decide. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd rather get a Bighorn Armory levergun in 500 S&W first. If I really, really liked the cartridge then I might consider a companion revolver, though perhaps in the shorter Linebaugh cartridge, and a more petite revolver than the X-frame.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I thought surely you must mean a nice big "N" frame S&W .44 special.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

CowboyTutt has a 460 snubby; we were shooting the 100 yd steel plates with it. How much recoil can you take. He will shoot it until he trembles. :) it is his traveling bear gun for his long range wilderness motorcycle trips.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've always drooled over the 460 XVRs. The concept of being able to shoot .454, .45 Colt, .45 Gov't, .45 Schofield......out of it is appealing. Especially if one could ever find a .460 rifle.

But I now have a .454 Casull. The recoil is bearable, but I don't know if I could imagine needing more. I was talking to a cousin one day about such things. He said it was his opinion that the 460 kicked worse than the 500. I haven't shot either so I don't know.

I do know there are plenty of videos of 500s flying out of people's hands at the range and hitting them in the face.

I can shoot +P+ ammo out of mt .45 Colt Redhawk so I seldom shoot my .454 Freedom Arms. I sold my .44 magnum and need to find another. I would shoot it more since I have a B92 rifle mate for it :D I have a .45 Colt rifle too, but not a .454
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Vance, I have seen both and believe me - they would not fly out of your hand. I did see a guy at the range with a 500 Snubby double action a cylinder full on target but he was a strong guy who really looked like he knew what he was doing - Tutt is not a big guy at all. I think that 460 Snubby is a great gun and I gave him a hard time about it before he bought it an we shot it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The one I was most interested in is the 10.5" barreled rascal as pictured at the top, in one caliber or another ----- bottom pic is a scoped up 8 3/8 "er ----- the weight of the 10.5" PC model is 82.5oz (around 5 pounds) not including optic -----some models actually ship with a small harris bipod as well
I would be shocked if it just flew out of your hands with that kind of weight unless a person truly wasn't prepared or didn't have much concept of what it would do , but it could happen I suppose

I am going to play with my Encore a bit first to see if I like the long distance challenge though --- it would be a cheap thrill , but the weight of an Encore is nowhere close to what these big rascals weigh, so it wouldn't be a fair recoil comparison ---- at 250 - 300 yards out of a Encore pistol barrel in 45/70, I will really be lobbing 'em in :lol:

I'm also curious if you can fill those big 'ol 460 or 500 cases with Trail Boss for some milder plinking loads ---- I've seen 2 model 29's blow the backstraps off with light loads packed with cornmeal to take up the dead air space -- so I definitely don't want to make up soft loads that way :o :o

I'll be the first to admit , for hunting purposes and real world shooting, a .41, .44 or strong loaded .45 is all I would ever need, but I really don't do any hunting anymore, so the prospect of knocking down some steel at 300 yards sounds like a fun challenge

----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Some of the Encore setups I pulled off of Photobucket are really catching my eye though --- (bottom pic is my stock 45/70 with iron sights-- there is not much weight to it as it sits , hottest load I have ran through it is the stock Hornady FTX load off the shelf , - off the shelf 405 grain Trapdoor spec loads kick less than a stout .45 in a revolver though )

I'm not really talking myself out of a big X frame yet, but using what I have for a while may be what I do in the short run

edit : - If I really have an itch for a .500, these guys can get me one to try on the Encore frame for 255.00 with a brake , plus another few shekels for a wood target style fore end , $300 or so and I get a new caliber to toy around with -- gotta love the Encore sometimes :D
http://www.edstc.com/15blueenc.html

----- Doug
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Well dang it. Just posted a nice reply for the second time and I guess it went into cyber space!

Anyway I have both of the 8+ inch bbl smiths 460 & 500. Also shoot an NEF Handi Rifle in 500 S&W.

The Handi gets depending on which MAG TECH load A 400gr jsp 3100 ft lbs or B 325gr jsp 3300 ft lbs. With the COR BON Barnes X 275 gr it gets 2591 ft lbs.

The 500 S&W revolver get with the MT A 400gr 2050 ft lbs , with the MT B 325gr it gets 2230 ft lbs.
With COR BON 275 gr Barns X it gets 1752 ft lbs.

Shot one deer last season with the Handi with Lee 440 gr cast at 1125 fps instant drop.

Only thing I have shot with either revolver has been armadillos & possums.
The armadillos crack like a car windshield from end to end with either revolver.
Am trying to get a deer with the Handi with the MAG TECH 500B load this year.

Guys I am down from 6-2 to just under 6 foot due to an Buick Electra eating my HONDA 750 K1 & me head on for lunch in 1982. Killed the bike. I did better. For the last 9 years I am riding a red SUZUKI HAYABUSA. I am just an beat up man of 68 years old & weight about 175 lbs in the mornings, not very big.
On the recoil with the open sighted revolvers I do not have any recoil issues. They have never tried to jump from my hands, but I do have large hands. The NEF does not seem to have bad recoil either.

hayabusa
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

IVE shot a 500 1 time, recoil wasn't bad at all
ear plugs alone are not enuff!!!! it hurt!!!!

ollogger
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

hayabusa wrote:For the last 9 years I am riding a red SUZUKI HAYABUSA. I am just an beat up man of 68 years old

hayabusa
68 and riding a Busa! Much respect :D
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doug,

Been there friend feeling the need to just get something! :wink:

Did the big pistol thing.Heck even the Savage Striker 260 rem. Bunch of Ruger's and Smith's in 44 Mag. Cowboy shooter Ruger Vaquero Old model in .45 Colt, Raging Bull .454 the big one of those. on and on. Long barreled TC Encore 14" in 35 Whelen.

You know what I came up with? After the fun factor wears off those huge ones get old.

That 45-70 TC you got, that will do anything you need for LR stuff. Screw the pressure etc. That caliber gun and barrel length in that will rival about anything one can handle.

It gets to a point where those suckers are just too big. Just grab the rifle.
The Smith's hey I love them. They shoot very nice look Purdy and the triggers are to die for, but if you are looking for a just a one gun that will kill anything on this planet. Does not have the Oh its a Smith it will break soon with hot stuff, along with just making that fine line where the gun is still reasonably still carry able. The one I would choose, Manf# RUG 5505

I have shot over 300rds over the years of my friends and I can honestly say, Finest handgun I have ever shot. The sturdiest gun period I have ever shot. And the versatility of that gun is beyond words. Leave it as is with those fine sights and when you pull that gun out at the range look at those others whatever and just grin! That gun I shot shot both the .45 Colt and .454 Casull extremely well. Meaning only limitation was me!

http://www.firearms4u.com/guns/revolver ... vers-5505/

Enough gun as is pal, cause you wanna hit what your shooting at! I have shot the Big Smith's :roll: Build factor to Ruger ? Not!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caNga1ses0g
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Streetstar the just turned 22 yo son still likes to ride behind me.
Said I am still safe. Not to worry about riding it anywhere.

busa
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Gotta head in to work in a few minutes, so I don't have time to post at length at the moment...

I've got PC X-frames in both .460 and .500; nearly twins.
If I had to pick one over the other, I'm not entirely sure how I'd go. The .460 has the versatility of taking multiple cartridges, has turned in better groups and (with the 200gr loadings) shoots flat enough to be useful out a ways. The .500 leaves me with a grin on my face.

Can't really be considered a sidearm. They include a sling in the packaging for a reason. I tend to think of 'em more as extra short carbines that are hard to shoot well unless you've got a really good rest.

And that's about all I've got time for right now. I'll try to make time to get online and check in here again after work.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Streetstar,

I had a chance to shoot a "big" S&W revolver some years ago. It was a 460 with the 4" barrel and ported end piece. EEEEE GADS that thing was NOT pleasant to shoot with 460s. Here's a pic of me shooting it:
Joe Shooting 460web.jpg
The owner had never fired anything bigger than 454 Casull in it and was already afraid of it.
I put 10 rounds of 460 though it and told him thanks, that was fun. You shoulda seen the look on his and his sons face ... :shock: .
My hands are inside the fire ball and the over pressures blew everything off the shelf in front of me. You can see the two plumes of flame shooting up from the porting.
My wife took the pic without additional lighting. We were in an indoor range, the muzzle flash provided ALL the light you see.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I don't think I could get comfortable with that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Molasses wrote:Can't really be considered a sidearm. They include a sling in the packaging for a reason. I tend to think of 'em more as extra short carbines that are hard to shoot well unless you've got a really good rest.
That's why I'd consider either a 16" barreled 454 Casull levergun, a 'custom' short-barreled Bighorn Armory levergun, or even a Class-III SBR version, instead; might hold more rounds, no cylinder-gap, and easier to shoot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I took three shots with a buddy's S&W 500....comfortable factory grip, IMO, so I didn't find the recoil to be all that bad, but, you have to be comfortable letting the firearm travel upwards a ways :o Know that hurts me to shoot? That dang LCP! :evil: Two mags and I'm bleeding between the first and second knuckle of trigger finger. (If I used the very tip of finger, like I was taught, I would not have that problem, but, with a double action pull, I cannot seem to do that). A thin leather driving glove seems to alleviate most stinging from snappy handguns....Personally, if I were to get a 500 for the purpose of bear protection, I would load 400-450 grainers to a modest 11-1200 fps. Hardcast.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've spent a little bit of time thinking about this today.
Like I said before, I consider my two S&W PC X-frames to be more like short carbines than sidearms. Clumsy and awkward short carbines. Neither fish nor fowl.
MVC-010F.JPG
However, I think they're at least as manageable as either of my Contenders (with any barrel and grip combo other than the original skinny grip and tapered 10" octagonal barrel), the .45-70 revolvers or the XP100. Not in the same league as the Grizzly, Auto Mag or any of the single action Rugers cluttering up the safe: they're all holsterable without feeling like there's a saddle scabbard strapped onto ya.
For me, the big PC X-frames and their ilk are at their best when I've still got tags, there's already venison in the freezer and I need a challenge for the rest of the season. At that point, the challenge is the point of the exercise.
I and a number of other folks mentioned the .460's vaunted ability to fire a number of different cartridges earlier, but I've got to confess that I've never fired anything other than factory .460s out of mine. Interesting that other folks posting in the thread have encountered folks that have only shot the lesser rounds out of their's.
As for recoil, I don't think it's that bad with any of my oversized revolvers. Between the weight, cylinder gap and grip shape, they don't beat me up as bad as some smaller guns. With that in mind, I've shot most of 'em one-handed. Not with any super-duper Uberloads, but they were full grown .460 and .500 loadings. The one in the right hand below is the .500, the left hand is the BFR .45-70:
MVC-024F.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,

I think you are just trying to get justification from the boys here to make an honorable purchase. Hey man, life is short and go get yourself one. :D

Your gun savvy enough to know a hot loaded 44 Special will kill anything in North America easily and knock down any silhouette with regularity out to 500 meters, the second part I know well.

I guess it's the same reason most of us here have had 400 horsepower engines in our cars to drive to work in a 45 mph zone.

If your going to do it, get the one that grabs at you the most.....then enjoy it!------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Streetstar,

I think you are just trying to get justification from the boys here to make an honorable purchase. Hey man, life is short and go get yourself one. :D
:lol: :lol: -- its easier when I can blame the members of an unknown (to my wife) internet forum for why $1300 or so is missing from the Christmas account !

I want one or the other of those big boomer revolvers, but now I have decided to take a slightly more logical approach

As I already posted, I already have an Encore frame and a big 'ol 15" 45-70 barrel , -- yesterday I was at a gunshop whose inventory is rapidly drying up , but he had a couple of cardboard boxes of miscellaneous T/C stuff --- I was able to snag a flat bottomed rifle fore end with sling (aka bipod) mount for 1/2 price --- The 15" barrel pokes out the end of it a couple inches still, but it does not look out of place for a target oriented pistol --- I will tinkering with it a little more in the upcoming days , as I may have to do a little more inletting to make it fit right --- but this will give me a big thunder-boomer "target pistol" to play with and see if I actually take to that type of shooting
--- I like the big revolvers because I wouldn't have to completely re-set my position after each shot like you need to do with a break top single shot

I stumbled across a Contender/Encore oriented forum and one of the posters there stated that the .500 S&W in an encore pistol is not the greatest idea in the world -- the Encore is lighter than a big Smith and there is no ability for its pistol grip to roll in the hand - its just a sharp, violent backwards push

--- Naturally i'll keep the board updated --- this T/C looks cool so far with the little rifle forend mocked up on it --- since it is walnut and blue steel , a short little brass Malcolm scope on top would be exceptionally cool if it had enough eye relief , but alas i'm daydreaming again ---- but i'll take a pic of the rascal next time I am down in the shop
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cool Doug!

Let me say one thing I don't give a hoot and holler what anyone tells you that 45-70 with your 15" barrel in that TC shooting some Buffalo Bore 405gr bombers @ 1865fps with that barrel length will do anything killing stuff wise as well as any .460/.500 S&W.

We already have tested the TC Encore 15" 45-70 unit prior at our club and we got steadily 1800-1900 fps velocites.

The difference I do understand they like to take those "small cases" in the .460/.500 yep to me small compared to your big 45-70 and press the pressure limits. Kinda like a turbo'd Jap Engine or some V6 someone redlines at 7500rpm :lol: :lol:
Same with the .454 hey I had one, not bad but holding it in your hand against the 45-70 :lol:
Like a 3.0 Turbo V6 compared to an Olds 455 V8
When they come out with a 500 S&W round with the case length of the 45-70 or greater---oh ya!

That 45-70 does it all. Wanna get eyebrows raised at your club put an a## kicking HP scope on it sight it in at 300yds,practice and know your holds at the various ranges and let lead fly.

We also tested the BB 430gr Penetrator load in that 15" TC barrel and got an average of 1805fps
Shooting an elephant in the knockin with that verses the other two difference Na! Least my take?

Now this is comparing your TC verses those Smiths!

Still say you need a fine shape polished SS old style 7.5" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt Only handgun of mine (mean daughters boyfriends now)that heart goes googly ga over.

Just look at the quality these guns had,this one is in 44 mag but same gun etc. Actually mine was scheduled few years ago to be slicked up and engraved by Bob Munden before he got ill. What a fine person he was! I choose that gun because its my favorite gun.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =374638213
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Fellas, thanks to Old Savage for telling me about this thread. I did an article on the "snubbie" 460 some years ago. It is to date, my favorite handgun. The 460 and 454 Casull are two of my all time favorite cartridges. The 460 allows the use of spire point bullets and bullet weights of different types from 200 to 400 grains. Very few cartridges have that amount of bullet weight range. If you like to handload, the 460 is an "experimenters dream." There is so much you can do with the 460 cartridge.

As to the gun itself, my "snubbie" is extremely well balanced when fully loaded and all the weight is in the center of the gun. Its not muzzle heavy and it has enough heft to make it stable to shoot off hand. It also has the best "out of the box" trigger I have had in a revolver. Its these overall attributes that make the gun so accurate for me. Old Savage had to remind me we were hitting a 100 yard steel target off hand and we BOTH did it. Its one durn fine weapon.

http://www.gunblast.com/AndyTuttle_SW460ES.htm

I can't say I understand the appeal of a 10 inch handgun that requires a sling and a bench or field rest to shoot. I have a 8.5 inch Raging Bull in 454 and have shot the equivalent (ported long barrel) in a S&W 500. Not much difference in recoil at all using those types of platforms so whether its 454, 460 or 500 it won't matter too much. When you get into the shorter barrel lengths with no porting, Mic McPherson tells me the 500 kicks a lot more. I tend to believe him as he's a pretty smart guy.

I hope some of this information might be useful. As Sixgun said, have fun with your purchase! If you want to sell it later, so what? At least you had the experience.

That being said, my "banana gun" is going NO WHERE EVER! Its a keeper!!!

I wish I could afford a 460 Levergun (there is one available I believe) but its not at all cheap and my McPherson 454 Puma is "da Bomb" anyhow.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If I need more than a .44 I get a rifle. Or a mortar or an airstrike....

Never understood the Huge Revolver fan club, but they sell, and resell, and resell..... :) Whatever floats your boat.

.454 is about the biggest I'd go, haven't shot one in a long while though.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

.454 is about the biggest I'd go, haven't shot one in a long while though.
They are not that difficult to shoot to be honest. It really depends on the overall platform. My Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with a 5 plus barrel and plus P loads is far and away more of a handful than my 454 Casull in a ported long barrel design. Or even my snubbie 460. I've seen that Ruger combination rock a man much bigger than me off of his feet!!!! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Its taken my a big chunk of my life to realize that just because something does not float my boat, it does not give me the justification to steer others away from my preferences.

In my twenties, I bad mouthed the AR-15's and it was bad mouthing one type of gun or another. I still do it on a regular basis.

Life really is short, so if your ever wondering what it would be like to shoot this or that, like Tutt says, its the experience. As long as the bills are paid, the family is happy and is not short changed by your decisions, and your not stealing to get your new experience, go for it. :D

I still hate French, Italian, and Japanese military guns and any lever action or single action army that does not say, "Made in America". :D ----------6
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote: Still say you need a fine shape polished SS old style 7.5" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt Only handgun of mine (mean daughters boyfriends now)that heart goes googly ga over.

Man --- what a sore subject to bring up ! :lol: :lol: -- I had (operative word being HAD) a polished Blackhawk .45 , 7.5" --- it is one of my "one that got away" stories. ---- I was in the initial stages of building my house and hadn't thought about the guns in a while --- in a moment of weakness, a friend of a friend made me an offer and it was gone --- my thoughts were "I can get another .45 Blackhawk again for $450 all day long" :oops: :oops:

That gun was fun and is what introduced me to the .45 -- It was pretty, but could ring some 150 yard steel pretty consistently if I did my part ---- I have also took a poke at the 150 and 200 yard gongs with a big Colt .357 -- at 200, it feels like I am a mortar man with how much elevation I have to account for :lol: --- never tried it any further than that --- cant be any worse than trying to shoot a .308 at 1000 though (about a 37-38' drop) :lol: --- being a Colt, i'm never going to mount a crutch (optic) to it though

I do have an affinity for big revolvers, but in the past I have thought what some of you have already echoed -- If I cant get it done with a 180 gr. 357 , or a .45, then I need to grab a rifle--- but since I don't hunt much anymore and just play at the range, I can throw practicality out the window :lol:

----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar, whichever one you buy I'm close enough I'll come help you break it in. We can also swap Encore stories. If the wife kicks you out I'll even let you use the deluxe doghouse.

If you get a 460 and it breaks your arm...I'll give you most of your money back on it :lol:

Like I said, I've drooled over those 460s for a while, but with the .44 mag, .454, and .45 Colt +P+ I get all the abuse I need. I would like a 16.25 inch .45-70 barrel though....just because.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, finally lured Cowboy Tutt back here and away from those darn motorsickles for a little bit - RECOIL???? Nah! Here he is shooting his 460 Snubbie.

As he says, it does seem very easy to hold this gun steady on target.

Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Old Savage wrote:Well, finally lured Cowboy Tutt back here and away from those darn motorsickles for a little bit - RECOIL???? Nah! Here he is shooting his 460 Snubbie.

As he says, it does seem very easy to hold this gun steady on target.

Whoa! I wouldn't've guessed the extra barrel length/weight forward and that honkin' big compensator on mine would make that much of a difference... What load is he shooting?
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not sure if that was factory stuff. He likes to load everything up. I have some 45 Colts he gave me that push a custom 360 Keith out of my 20 inch Rossi at 1350 fps. He will be along to answer later.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeeze, I feel like I've been violated by a Papparazzi! :lol:

Probably just the 300 grain Hornady XTP and a lot of H110 (close to max load but not all the way). For target shooting I don't try to hold it down too hard. I try to relax and let it float up. The factory grips are awesome for my hands. I do need to use a more aggressive forward stance however. Mic has been giving me some coaching lately and I once found a great video by Jerry Miculek on You Tube about stances.

The long ported barrels don't jump as much. My Taurus Raging Bull with the 8.5 inch barrel has recoil that goes straight back which I tend to prefer. Actually the snubbie has recoil that pretty much goes straight back too although it does not look like it. Not enough barrel time to lever it up. The ported long barrel ones stay down but are very muzzle heavy and you need a lot of arm strength to hold them out. Helps to shoot a lot or just hold the gun unloaded at home in a firing stance until your arms shake. That will do-er! :)

The Gunblast article has a video of me shooting it if you really want to see the recoil difference between some max 454 Casull loads and almost max 460 loads in the snubbie. You can see the gun sort of shudder when it hits the first 460 round. Hold on!

Joe Miller is right though, the muzzle blast is ferocious (ported barrels tend to be more so) and any wood partitions between you and the next guy bang like a gong and everyone looks around for where the mortar fire is coming from. :lol:
As Joe pointed out, I would not recommend it for an indoor shooting range. Muffs over ear plugs is a good idea.

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some pics you might like. They were extracted from some videos we took, one during the day and the other at night at the NRA Whittington Center in NM. Why do I look like some Marvel Super Hero throwing flame???? :lol: -Tutt

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My 8.75" Taurus Raging bull .454 has less punishment than my 6" M629 with stout loads. And I mean shooting the hot Double Tap 400gr .454 1400fps stuff. Zero jump,just nice soft straight back solid push like Tutt says.

That 629 stick a red dot on it shoot it from sandbags on a shooting table and that sucker feels like its gonna fly out of your hands. :roll:
Come back and knock your teeth out. And I like recoil! :lol:

The 7.5" Vaquero with hot 335 gr .45 Colt loads just pleasantly rolls back in hand some!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt and The Shadow

Standing - Andy (Tutt), oldguy, The Shadow, and El Chivo

Just let me know when you want me to go back to the pretty girls :D

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Madman, I guess we both have the same RB model more or less. Here's a pic of the two side by side. The RB has a trigger job by Jim Stroh, the Smith didn't really need one. Both guns weigh about the same??? Hard to believe, that is how massive the X-Frame is. The RB has more palm swell to the grip. The Smith is better for smaller hands. Actually, the RB is not as muzzle heavy as I remember but its still a good idea to work on forearm strength. I would have bought the roughly 6 inch barrel RB if it had been available here in California but we could only get the long barrel version. -Tutt

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You guys are getting me all excited with these big belly guns! Tutt sure has some neat pics with the flash and all. I want to get in the action if Old Savage lets me. :D

Some guys can handle the recoil better than others. I've been shooting all sorts of sixguns since I was little and I'm not ashamed to say that the 44 mag is my personal limit. After 50 rounds of full power stuff, I start flinching.

The pictured S&W 629 fixed sight Tunnel Rat has a 2 and a half inch barrel. With full power loads, it really does start to jump out of my hand to the point where it takes a few seconds to regain control. If held limply, it will fly out.

I find a 200 gr. bullet at 1,000 so much more controllable .......might as well carry a 1911.----6

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

A 44 Mag out of that little thing would INDEED be a real handfull!!!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can do 50 rounds out of that thing, your a bigger man than me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Way to go Sixgun! :D

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well then Six, it is my favorite you like, the 44 Spl. As you have slyly pointed out. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

No, no, no Tutt. I can't do more than a couple out of this 44. The 44 that I can handle 50 rounds is out of a full size handgun, like a 10" Smith Silhouette or a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Even flattop Rugers beat me up with full power loads.----6
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Oh Gawd Old Savage, Deja Vu!!! :lol I went for the 45 Colt, +P and 454 Casull for the same reason. Just more of a good thing. Ross Seyfried had it right.

Your an honest man Sixgun. These new small ultra light guns can bite very hard. Ouch.

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tuttle has been gone so long he did not know who Boots was

Now here is what she is wearin' to shoot snakes and stuff with on the ranch. 45 Colt. Logger gets to use that other little gun.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

She's cute as Heck and a nice "surf and turf" dinner to be sure. Makes me want a steak tonight. Hmmm. That being said, DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT! On topic Old Friend! LOL -A-