Texas Youth Deer Hunt Weekend -2013

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Texas Youth Deer Hunt Weekend -2013

Post by 86er »

I set up a pop-up blind and a camera that I have been watching closely since July. Brandon is shooting his 360DW caliber Win 94 real good out to 100 yds. I was ready and anxious - but when Saturday arrived Brandon has a different idea! He said he'd rather go bird hunting. His plan was if we got birds on Sat, we could deer hunt Sunday.

Sat morn we loaded up the dogs and headed to our hunting club. The club just had two English-style driven pheasant shoots, so there plenty of birds in the fields. I worked the dogs and supervised Brandon with his 1939 Iver Johnson single shot 410 (custom fitted, IC choked). He knocked down darn near every bird he shot at. When the dog points and the bird gets up close, the 410 is absolutely deadly. Since watching my boys shoot dove, quail and pheasant with the 410 (3" 7.5 shot) I have a new-found respect for it. Here's the pheasant tally -

Sunday we had a big lunch and headed out to the hunting property. After about an hour and a half I looked over to our left and saw a parade of hogs coming across an opening. There were 26 of them altogether strung out, the closest at about 50 yards. Brandon picked a big one in the middle and shot. The hog squeaked and took off on a run. Hogs went in every direction. A hog that lagged behind popped out of the woods and Brandon said "I'm going to shoot him too". I didn't even know he worked the lever. Bang - flop. It was only 5:28PM, so I told Brandon to be quiet and the deer still might show up. At this point he said he did not feel good.

Over the next 40 minutes Brandon complained of a migrane and sick stomach, but he refused to leave. He said he'd tough it out until dark, so I just told him we could leave whenever he's ready.
I looked up and said, Brandon - here's your deer. He quietly aimed in at the 94 yard shot. I looked though binoculars. At the shot I saw the deer tuck its tail and run, but I did not see or here a shot. I asked Brandon if he hit it and he said he aimed good but lost the sight picture in recoil. We did see two little deer run out of the woods at the shot so we were not sure. After a half hour, we got down. It was nearly dark but suddenly we found a blood trail that started about 30 feet from the place of the shot. I gave him the flashlight and he followed it. I was surprised how far it went, probably about 80 to 100 yards. It was a high lung shot and the bullet did not exit. He said "OK, I'm going to throw up now", and he did. He sat on the ground and fell asleep. I carried him back to the truck and had a long night ahead of me...
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Texas Youth Deer Hunt Weekend -2013

Post by TedH »

Excellent! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That boy did just fine, stayed with the job until he found his deer then he could quit.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That boy is something else.

I used to think I'd like to go to Texas someday to meet Joe. Now I'm thinking Brandon is da man :!:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That kid has gotten more game in one weekend than I have in my life......and I'm 36.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's great! Love hearing stories about young hunters.

I have a 12 year old that we recently adopted, along with his 8 year old sister and little brother who is 4. He's passed his hunter safety course but opted to go visit family the weekend of our OK youth hunt. He'll eventually get the fever.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats to Brandon! And to Dad! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Gotta respect the young man for hangin' in until he'd done what he came to do.

I suppose the company of a boy like that is sufficient reward for gettin' stuck with the dirty work.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hanging in there like that with a migraine? Brandon is tough. Joe, next time I see you I will teach you a pressure point technique to help knock the edge off of a migraine for him. You can't do it for yourself, but it works well if you are pressing the right nerve point for someone else. You might check with a neurologist to see if there are any medicines recommended for his age for migraines.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Nice outcome to your little expidition!

Those youth only seasons are great. Our state adopted one a couple of years ago. They time it to coinside with the state teachers conference so all the public schools are closed on Thursday & Friday. This year it fell on the week before the general firearms season. Only kids aged 12 to 15 can hunt & they must be accompanied by an adult. Goo deal for both the kids & Grandpa.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Rusty wrote:That boy is something else.

I used to think I'd like to go to Texas someday to meet Joe. Now I'm thinking Brandon is da man :!:
+1
It is not the critic who counts
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That kid is tuff enough.