Lyman's #358477

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Lyman's #358477

Post by Machado »

Gentlemen:
Has anyone used Lyman's 150 grain #358477? I have used this bullet, cast hard, in revolvers and rifles both, in .38 SPLs and .357s, loaded mild and wild, with disappointing results.
What is your experience?
Thank you.
Antonio
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Lyman's #358477

Post by Sixgun »

That's my #1 choice for all sixguns and has been since 1975. That's the year I bought a Lyman 4 cav. Mould with that number and I must have cast 25 thou. out of it and shot it out of 30 different revolvers, all with excellent results.

What are you sizing them at? I size at .358.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Sixgun wrote:That's my #1 choice for all sixguns and has been since 1975. That's the year I bought a Lyman 4 cav. Mould with that number and I must have cast 25 thou. out of it and shot it out of 30 different revolvers, all with excellent results.

What are you sizing them at? I size at .358.----6
Sixgun, my Puma '92 barrel slugged at .355", I sized the bullet at .356". Sized at .357" for the S&W M-19, 2 S&W K-38s, an 8-3/4" S&W 686 and at .355" for 2 Taurus TAs that mike .354". I changed the charge. I switched powders. I switched primers. I crimped. I didn't crimp. I taper-crimped. I changed seating depth. All to no avail. Maybe it simply doesn't like me.
Pity. I own two of these molds. These bullets are very easy to cast, and I can make up to 250 per hour on a good day, more when the cheese is ripe and the wine is friendly. It is my only cast bullet that doesn't deliver. My #358429 is wonderful - it really shines in the rifle - and so is a jurassic #35895.
By the way, all my bullets are cast hard, at BHN 23. Perhaps I should cast them softer?
I'd appreciate learning what your pet loads are.
Thank you for your interest.
Antonio
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Antonio,
Size them .358 for all of your guns. Don't make them so hard, a Bhn of 10-15 ( depending on velocity ) is hard enough. Always size you revolver bullets by the throat of your cylinder,,not the barrel and keep your velocities under 1600 for the rifle.

My all time favorite 357 load is 7 gr. of Unique and 38's get 5 gr. of the same.----6
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Thank you, Sixgun.
The 5 gr Unique load is a favorite with 158 gr swaged bullets.
I'll cast them softer and size them all at .358".
I'll keep you posted.
Again, thank you for your time.
Antonio
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You got it my man! And when you get time, how about sending up some of those Brazilian beauties up here! A few pics will do!----Sixgun
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Sixgun wrote:You got it my man! And when you get time, how about sending up some of those Brazilian beauties up here! A few pics will do!----Sixgun
I will, Sixgun, as soon as I re-learn how to get past the idiosyncrasies of Photobucket. Matter of fact, I just walked by a passel of them in Copacabana a few minutes ago, and it's only 76 F - cool for Rio de Janeiro. The real fun begins at 100 F.
Best,
Antonio
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! This is gonna be good! Wait until Old Savage hears about this. He is always bragging about the California girls. I say the real hotties come from South America.

Good luck on your bullets and accuracy. You must be pretty important down there as I hear the average guy can't do much revolver shooting. Am I wrong? How are your gun laws?

We are full of knowledge here so if something comes up, give us a holler----Sixgun