Day at the range with my Win 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Mccarthy
Levergunner

Day at the range with my Win 45-70

Post by Bob Mccarthy »

Took the new 1886 to the range. All I did in advance was clean the barrel and do a cursory check of the action. Barrels was clean enough, perhaps some dust from storage. The action has some dried grease and I cleaned it as well as I could without a complete breakdown of the action. The manual says to take it to a gunsmith for a thorough cleaning. I don't think so. I will learn the procedure as I do all my other firearms. Dont think it will be a simple as a Marlin, but not too far off.

I loaded up a range of loads with VV 133 and speer 400 grain flat nose which I had in the cabinet. Starting load 46 gn, to 51 gn,

First shot BANG, **** I'm gonna need a recoil pad. The recoil is heavier than my 300 Jarrett. Wasn't expecting that. Not a sharp crack, but a BIG firm push. I'm normally not recoil sensitive, but a 7 lb gun with a 400 gn bullet gets your attention when shooting with a metal butt plate and wearing a T-shirt.

Shot the remainder of rounds over the morning. Shoulder was getting "tired" about 15-20 rounds in. Borrowed a towel, folded it into a makeshift recoil pad for remainder of shooting. I was getting worn out, shooting a gun like this off a bench is wearing.

What I learned, the 48 and 49 grain load shoots nice sized knots. I was shooting 5 round groups, calling off-holds before looking in the spotting scope. Honest 1-1/2" groups. Guns starts to open up a inch or more as it get to 51 grain load (max) (3 inch)

Some of that could be me becoming weary shooting max loads at the end of the day, and knowing I was about to get my *** kicked as I released the trigger. I was using my good rest and rear bag so sights were pretty stable.

I'm going to take my crono to the range next time. My speer book implies around 1700+ fps at the muzzle.

Dislikes, the rebound hammer gave me fits for about 10-15 shots not firing the round on occasion. I think it might have been a hardened old lube problem, the primer wasn't touched..A little WD40 and some dry firing appeared to clear up the issue.

The sights, I assume ,are regulated for factory ammo, I am shooting 400-500 fps faster, time for a Williams.

The fired cases look great, a little flattening of the primer, just minimal and very round along primer edge. I suspect you could load hot enough to blow up the gun before having brass issues. I think 1750 ish is as hot as I will ever need. My barrel is 2 inches longer than the test barrel so I might be very close to book?

Love the gun, picked up a slip on kickEZE for the next trip to the range on way home from Cabelas.

Getting there,

Bob
Last edited by Bob Mccarthy on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Day at the range with my Win 45-70

Post by Pete44ru »

And the pics are....... where ? . :mrgreen:

You can easily clean the action via unscrewing the tang screw, pulling the buttstock "off", and dipping/swirling the action in a pail of clean kerosene (Hess Gas Stations).

The kero will dissolve the gunk, and after the action's shaken dry, will leave a nice/protective oily residue on the interior parts, even in areas not easily reached.

To fix the intermittent hammer strikes, the lower/shorter leg of the forked mainspring strut's forward portion needs to be slightly shortened so that the upper/longer leg drives the hammer fully before the rebound feature (lower leg) takes effect.

(Removal for the job's a piece of cake: while the buttatock's off, cock the hammer to expose the rear tail of the MS strut & push a small nail/brad/paperclip through the little hole - so that the MS will be held compressed after you pull the trigger to drop the hammer & remove the MS & strut)

You're finding out why I long ago gave up firing any boolits over 300-350 grains in any of my .45-70's........ :roll:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Save those heavy loads for hunting or for when you need to punish yourself for being bad. Load 13 grains of Unique and any weight cast bullet for all day shooting fun. Still strong enough for going lengthwise through that imaginary buffalo.----------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good report, glad to hear again what great rifles they are. I love the kerosene tip, learned something today and glad of it.

It's a very classy gun, will last for generations.

thanks

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:You can easily clean the action via unscrewing the tang screw, pulling the buttstock "off", and dipping/swirling the action in a pail of clean kerosene (Hess Gas Stations).

The kero will dissolve the gunk, and after the action's shaken dry, will leave a nice/protective oily residue on the interior parts, even in areas not easily reached.
That's a cool idea and thanks...!

I wouldn't do it just before deer season, though...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bob Mccarthy
Levergunner

Post by Bob Mccarthy »

This gun is coming together. Load development has yielded a good load. Powder, bullet and gun are working to produce **** fine results. I will likely experiment further, only because supply of additional Speer 400 gn bullets is not out there. Down to my last 25. A few for sighters, rest for hunting.

Recoil pad has solved any pain issues.

Last thing to do is select a sight.

Don't care for the stock buckhorn, not at all

Was going to go Williams, but was advised Lyman is more sturdy and better finished.

Also had Marbles tang sight recommended, but I have tang safety and I caught a comment that the Marbles base was a kluge and amounted too far back.

Can anyone confirm and/or recommend a solution, too much information overload.

Bob
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bob Mccarthy wrote:This gun is coming together. Load development has yielded a good load. Powder, bullet and gun are working to produce **** fine results. I will likely experiment further, only because supply of additional Speer 400 gn bullets is not out there. Down to my last 25. A few for sighters, rest for hunting.

Recoil pad has solved any pain issues.

Last thing to do is select a sight.

Don't care for the stock buckhorn, not at all

Was going to go Williams, but was advised Lyman is more sturdy and better finished.

Also had Marbles tang sight recommended, but I have tang safety and I caught a comment that the Marbles base was a kluge and amounted too far back.

Can anyone confirm and/or recommend a solution, too much information overload.

Bob
Bob Mccarthy --- I have been using Williams Reliever Sights for over three decades and I have been completely satisfied, fit and finish have always been good...they are very rugged (never broke one), practical, and if you get the click-adjusted one (Williams Receiver Sights: FP (Fool Proof) Series) it's very easy to dial in. i presently am using one on my Glenfield 30A that came off an old pre-64 Winchester and it works. to be honest I have never used a Lyman, but I suspect they're good too... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Mccarthy
Levergunner

Post by Bob Mccarthy »

Having seen none of the current reciever sights in production, I'm afraid My opinions may be misinformed. On another site it was recommendet to search out a vintage Redfield. If I can figure which varient/model fits, I may just do that.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Mccarthy on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bob Mccarthy wrote:Having seen none if the current reciever sights in oroduction, I'm afraid My opinions may be misinformed. On another site it was recommendet to search out a vintage Redfield. If I can figure which varient/model fits, I may just do that.

Bob
finding an old receiver sight would be very cooool...the Williams FP that I'm using was made in the 50's...good hunting... :)