Merit peep gizmo for glasses?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Merit peep gizmo for glasses?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Anyone use the Merit peep gizmo that sticks on glasses? Anything else like that? How field friendly are these things?

I tried a crude test with duct tape and a small hole and was amazed how it sharpened up the barrel sights on a 9422.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Merit peep gizmo for glasses?

Post by milton »

I tried the Merit,it works at the range and after you get it set up but a piece or two of black tape on your glasses with a small hole in it works much better in the field.The only real advantage of the Merit was the ability to change the size of the hole under various light conditions.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Once you get it figured out exactly where to put it on your glasses it works great. Not very suitable for field work, but good for the range or just plinking. If you have a receiver or tang sight they make an adjustable aperture that works the same way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I like it for range/load development but found that it can pop off your glasses at the most inopportune time so I tied a short piece of limp fish line to the disc arm with a loop on the end that I pass the arm of your glasses that goes back over your ear through...keeps me from hunting for it on the ground..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I use one for my IHMSA shooting, they work great! I think there would be a good chance of it getting knocked off in the field though. I find I don't need it for shooting my tang sighted rifles but use it for regular sighted ones. They certainly help old eyes :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use one for most handgun target practice and when shooting my muzzle loaders. Everything else has a scope or peep sight on it.
They work great and are worth every cent they cost. I to have made my own but after buying the Merit. They make an adjustable screw in aperture also for peep sights that I have and use all the time. It can be fine tuned to make that front sight as sharp as a tack.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I did use black plastic to make one 'permanently' on an old pair of glasses and found it did very well to sharpen focus of everything - sights included.

Most of the time a scope is more convenient for me though, and has the added advantage that it 'gathers light' in dawn and dusk conditions. I really could care less about whether I'm spotted in the woods with a gun that isn't appropriately "vintage" or "traditional", but for those who are into that, the Merit seems like a way to keep your gun 'original' and still functional.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll try the black plastic tape idea first. My right eye has lost a little since the last visit to the eye doctor and I find that I am using my left eye to shoot pistols with. It is easy for me since I don't have a dominant eye. It was about the 3rd or 4th range trip before I realized I was using my left eye. If I hadn't been shooting one handed, I would not have realized it. My rifles are not working so well and the sights are starting to get fuzzy, so I will try the tape thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Check these out. Reusable and they stick to your glasses.

http://www.eyepalusa.com/

There are a couple of different sizes and they run about $30.

I have these and they work well.

Jack