New Caster Needs Advise

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

New Caster Needs Advise

Post by Dan 444 »

Hello.
I have not started casting yet, but have started collecting wheel weight lead (evil-bay) and tin ingots. I am a MarlinNut and plan to cast for my leverguns in 218Bee, 219 Zipper, 30-30, 32 Win Spl, 35Rem, 356 Win, 375 Win, 444 Marlin and 45-70. I currently buy h/c bullets (21 bhn) and they shoot great in my Marlins. I plan on using an alloy consisting of 10 # wheel weights/0.5 #tin and water quenched. I push my bullets hard and I would appreciate your thoughts on my planned alloy.....

Now for the dumb question. The lead and tin ingots are all different sizes and shapes. How do I "chop 'em up" so that I get exactly 10# wheel weight and 0.5# tin to melt down to the proper alloy? I am thinking about melting the lead and pouring it into molds to get exactly 1# ingots and doing the same with the tin in 0.5# ingots...and then taking taking ten lead ingots and one tin ingot and melting them together to get alloy ingots for making bullets. Is this the correct way to do this or is there a better way?

Many thanks,
Dan
P.S. I think that the Ranch Dog molds are going to produce super bullets for my Marlins....gotta get some some ordered. He oughta' give me the molds for free, since he inflicted me with Marlinitis a number of years ago.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

That method will work just fine, or just weigh the stuff and use a calculator to get the ratio right.
The best thing that you could do is to buy and read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That alloy will cast some nice bullets but I think your wasting your tin.
1 to 2% tin is all thats needed and an alloy of 1% tin to WW will heat treat harder than one with lots more tin.
Might try adding a few ounces of Extra Hard Magnum shot to the mix to get a little more Arsenic to help with the heat treating.
I oven HT an alloy of WW+2% tin and they come out very hard, Upper 20`s Bh at 475deg. for 1 hr and quench in cold water. It takes a few days to reach maximum hardness.
Have fun. :wink:
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jeff Quinn wrote:That method will work just fine, or just weigh the stuff and use a calculator to get the ratio right.
The best thing that you could do is to buy and read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
+1 (Emphasis added.) Peruse the sites ffor The Cast Bullet Association and Los Angeles Silhouette Club, both contain huge amounts of info. Also look @ Cast Boolits site.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!