Scoping one of the earliest angle eject model 94s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Scoping one of the earliest angle eject model 94s

Post by macpartsguy »

I am a new member of this discussion group. I have researched for quite awhile before posting this question - I just can't find a good answer. I have a Win Model 94 made in 1982 according to the Winchester records. From what I understand the very earliest angle eject rifles had a different elevation difference between the front and rear mounting planes when compared to the current rifles. So scope mounts made for a modern angle eject do not work correctly for one of the very earliest angle eject rifles. Is this correct? If indeed it is correct were there ever any bases made for these very early angle eject specimens? Or is some sort of a custom gunsmithing project the answer? I know I could do a side mount arrangement but that isn't really what I want.

Can any of you seasoned lever gun users shed any light on this?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Scoping one of the earliest angle eject model 94s

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome. Wonder why that would be if true. Can you post pics. I have few examples of the AEs from 1985 to 2005. Haven't heard this before.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome, if it can be answered it will be done here. Me -No, but somebody will have the answer to Ur ? I have Win,s with scopes but they r side mounts.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

I did quick Google and the responses come back like this page (go the the very bottom):

http://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item/wea ... ount-bases

there is often the part in parenthesis....

"Used as FRONT base on:

Winchester 94 angle eject (except earliest models)

Weaver Top Mount Base Gloss 95 #48095

Used as REAR base on:

Winchester 94 angle eject (except earliest models)

94 angle eject big bore, 94/10"

My father was the first to mention this and I have since seen references to it since but I haven't seen much "real" documentation of it....
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome gents.....I'm a long time shooter - mostly bolt action rifles......my father writes for Gun World and other publications and knows his stuff....he says bases never existed for the earliest angle eject rifles.......but you know us "kids" - gotta try it anyway....
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the difference is the screw layout. Bases definately exist, there wasnt much reason to do angle ejects if bases werent available.

I believe the earliest guns had the screws for the front base going in at an angle from the sides instead of centered over the bore line. Not sure exactly what the rear difference is, but I'm sure it's the screw layout. Check with Weaver and Warn.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
Here's what I see....top and side....I have nothing to compare with....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I may have it backwards about the hole layout, yours has the inline holes for the front base. I thought that was the later type. I'd just get a set of Weaver bases and try them (the store should let you try them, I've taken guns in to see if bases fit) Warn should also have what you want, and their techs will talk to you on the phone if need be.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have seen that angular screw arrangement now that it is brought back to mind. What you have should work with the standard mounts available from with Weaver or Leupold. I have both.

Here is the Weaver on a 1989 production with screw holes like you show.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a picture of both.

big help that was :)

btw - either of these rifles will do sub inch groups at 100 yds as with their best ammo as set up.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes, the Weaver or Redfield 94 and 95 will work for you. I have a set of Weavers you can have for $5 shipped.
Last edited by Tycer on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Fred, what is the exact model and vintage of the top rifle in your pic?

Tycer, are the Redfield bases aluminum or steel? I need a set of early (angled type screws) in steel that I can modify. I didnt know what the Redfields are made from. I may try Warne.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mal it's a 2005 25-35 Win. It is the actual rifle that Jeff Quinn reviewed in Gunblast.com online magazine. Think they might have called it something like the Trails End Round Barrel Hunter or the like. He did a very nice review worth a read. I have found it to shoot like he documents. I also tried it with 100 gr Hornady TSX which were also very accurate but must be used single shot as they will not work through the magazine due to length. It has the long fore end and the tang safety which I like.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Malamute wrote:Fred, what is the exact model and vintage of the top rifle in your pic?

Tycer, are the Redfield bases aluminum or steel? I need a set of early (angled type screws) in steel that I can modify. I didnt know what the Redfields are made from. I may try Warne.
sorry Malamute, I edited the post. The ones I have are aluminum. The Redfield ones I had before were aluminum also.
Kind regards,
Tycer
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

@tycer I'll give those Weaver bases a try.....if you have Paypal let me know your email address....send me a PM. I've had this rifle for a few years and want to hunt with it this fall.....I'm "OK" with iron sights but feel more confident with a scoped rifle.

Thanks all for your input....I'll let you know how this project turns out...
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I recently sold a set of angle eject mounts on ebey and got this response from the buyer.

Hello, tried to install mounts on my model 94ae rifle today. They won't fit. My rifle has two screw holes in front of receiver going north and south and two holes at rear of receiver going west to east. Both mounts have north to south screw holes. The package must have been labeled wrong from the factory. Please provide me your mailing address so I can return them for a refund as per your terms in the eBay listing. Thanks!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

PM sent.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Had one of the first 307's that came out and it did have different mounts.
I traded it 15 years or more ago, and don't remember the lay out, but it was different.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

macpartsguy wrote:
photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
Here's what I see....top and side....I have nothing to compare with....

I had a late Model 94 - a Legacy with the belly button safety - which I scoped briefly using Leupold mounts. The screw pattern was the same as yours.
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

@tycer Paypal sent......

I am very anxious to give this a whirl - I have lots of factory 30-30 ammo and want to save ammo of other calibers since it is so hard to obtain these days.....I also have loading stuff for the 30-30 so I can feed it for quite some time...thanks for all the input - I will report my results
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I had the same problem with my .356 BB AE, I tried everywhere to get the correct mounts, but ended up getting it drilled & tapped for the latter model mounts. That fixed it.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Both the early Angle Eject 94's & the later ones all use the same scope mount base on the rear.

Only the front bases are different, because early AE's were D/T'd radially for 2 screws, with 1 screw on each side quarter of the front receiver ring for the front base, crosswise to the bore.

And,

Later AE's were D/T'd for 2 screws, both inline with the bore, atop the front receiver ring.

Here's the link that pictures the early type, but contains ordering info for both styles: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... nts/W94FSB

The OP's pics are of a later 94AE, that takes a front base D/T'd inline with the bore.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

peter richards wrote:I had the same problem with my .356 BB AE, I tried everywhere to get the correct mounts, but ended up getting it drilled & tapped for the latter model mounts. That fixed it.

me too on a 307 ; then about a week later, i found a set of the proper type that i had put away and hadnt been able to find for years.
cable
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Several years ago I gave up trying to get correct bases fot the BigBore AE Winchester, no one could get them & all the bases
local gun shops had were incorrect. I called Winchester & talked to customer service. They had them in stock individually or both. I ordered a pair & they were the correct ones. Now I am a happy camper!

hayabusa
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

hayabusa wrote:Several years ago I gave up trying to get correct bases fot the BigBore AE Winchester, no one could get them & all the bases
local gun shops had were incorrect. I called Winchester & talked to customer service. They had them in stock individually or both. I ordered a pair & they were the correct ones. Now I am a happy camper!

hayabusa
I got mine straight from Winchester/Browning also.
macpartsguy
Levergunner

Post by macpartsguy »

@tycer the bases arrived today and work great.....playing with different scopes now...

Thanks for everyone's help on this project.....this may be my deer gun for the fall.....nice and compact and plenty of power for where I am going to be hunting....

Thanks again.