Fun with guns...no politics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Fun with guns...no politics

Post by hartman »

Had a good weekend last. Boys and I went and shot jack rabbits...shot at them only got one. With the warm weather they've been jumping out real far. My oldest boy shoots my old 30-30 with home cast bullets. My little boy shoots the .22 I got him for Christmas last. I shot my .357 mod '92 and don't like it (the caliber) as well as 45 Colt. 45 Colt smacks them alot harder.

At church on Sunday one of our members asked if me and the boys wanted to shoot some chucker's and Quail. He has a bird farm and sells alot of gamebirds around the West. Any way he also has a permit for shooting until the end of March. We went out to his place and the boys got to set the birds out.

I stole my friends German shorthair bitch and we went hunting, what a hoot. I've never shot quail before, what a humbling experiance.

We got 3 of the five chucker's and 5 of the eight quail.

My buddy's dog belonged to my best friend who was killed 3 years ago and his boy was at Christalis for the weekend so he couldn't go with us anyhow. His mother wants me to take the dog cause he doesn't use her enough but I don't have the heart.

Bigbear hope this helps, I'm not much of a writer

Hartman
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great report hartman!
Thats funny my 357, 92 is one of my favorite jack rabbit guns, need to get it out there and thin em a bit!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like an awesome good time!!! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This isn't meant to be critical of you I just want you to look at this differently. When you say you don't have the heart to take your late buddy's dog into your home I'm thinking you'd just be reminded of your buddy and that would be uncomfortable for you. I hope that, if it suits all concerned, you'd accept that maybe the plan is for you to bring that dog into your home just like you'd have accepted your buddy into your home. In hunting with that dog, you're not only honoring your buddy, you're doing with his dog what his dog likely loves to do as he would have enjoyed doing.

In December 2006 my best friend died and I have to tell you, I'd have loved to have such an opportunity.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

+1 on Hobie's thought.

That poor dog NEEDS to work; Your good friend would no doubt want to provide for her and your hapiness until you meet again, so why not recieve her into your home and life? If she is loved where she is, that's all well and good, but if she can be loved AND hunted over, she'll be much happier.

She is after all, a bird dog and your friend bought her for that purpose. She was made for that purpose. He worked hard to train her for that purpose. You will spend many enjoyable days afield with your new best friend.
Plus, it sounds as though you need some more time over a dog if you can't hit quail consistently... :wink:

After you get good enough at quail and chucker, and start feeling good about yourself, try woodcock if you want to be humbled again!!!
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Guys,

I just don't have the heart to take the kid's dog away from him. He has lost so much...If he were to offer her up I'd take her in a minute, but he doesn't have the heart to give up his old man's dog either.

Thanks for the advice,
Hartman
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

hartman wrote:Guys,

I just don't have the heart to take the kid's dog away from him. He has lost so much...If he were to offer her up I'd take her in a minute, but he doesn't have the heart to give up his old man's dog either.

Thanks for the advice,
Hartman
I must have misunderstood somehow. I thought that somebody else had the dog, not your friend's family.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sounds like you had a great time. Chuker are fun to shoot tasty to.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis