Broken Shell Holder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Broken Shell Holder

Post by Griff »

Wow! Has anyone had this happen:

During last Thursday night's reloading session where I pulled bullets and loads from about 75 rounds on incorrectly loaded .40-90SBNs. I decided that since I had about 25 rounds where the compressed BP loads had deformed the cases, I'd resize them. I had one, that didn't get enough lube (apparently) and "PLIINNNG", the shell holder rim broke off, leaving me a 2.625" case stuck in the sizer die, a broken shell holder, and a loose partial ring of steel lying somewhere in the barn! While there's a little corrosion in the exposed surface of the shell holder, none that I can find in the jagged edge where it broke! (The photo appears to shows it to be much more corroded than the actual part, seems the red really reacts to the flash.)

Called RCBS today and told them of the problem. They asked me to mail it back and they'd send me a new one. Glad I have a spare!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I have one of these:

What's a "shellholder"??? :D

scott
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Never heard of anything like that. But those RCBS people take very good care of their customers. They've gone above and beyond the call a few times for me!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since I just picked up a RCBS RockChucker II with it's compound lever, I'll have to be doubly sure I have enough lube on cases.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

For sure and for certain the shell holder was defective. I have pulled off a couple of case rims leaving the case stuck in the die. The brass should give way before the steel.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

RSY wrote:I have one of these:

What's a "shellholder"??? :D

scott
What kind of press is that?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, I had a #31 (IIRC on the number) break for the same reason. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RSY,
I have two of those. Best press I've ever used. Far superior to the Rock Chucker in several areas.

big bear,
That is a Bonanza Co-Ax press. Sold by Forster.

Those presses use a spring loaded universal shell holder. They will handle just about any case you can think of with the exception of some of the huge ones.
The dies just pop in the slot at the top of the press body. You can see the silver colored die lock ring. No threading in or out. Really handy.

And most important to me is that the shell holder section moves straight up and down guided by two rams. It can't tilt or twist like a single central ram set up can.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I've worn out several shell holders, but never had one break like that. Probably a flawed blank they machined the holder out of.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...I'm with Charles on this. I have had shell holders pull 3/4 of the rim off a case stuck in the die, with no damage to the shell holder. :oops:
...FWIW, pulling that much rim off required both hands on the lever, and a LOT of force applied by the press' compound leverage. :shock:

...old goat
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I had one bust just like that Griff...43 Spanish Lee made shell holder...Replaced with RCBS.. seems to be holding up fine...
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

J Miller wrote:RSY,
I have two of those. Best press I've ever used. Far superior to the Rock Chucker in several areas.
Of course, I agree. But...there is one thing it won't do. So, I do have an old Bonanza O-frame for collet pulling duty.

Otherwise they are, indeed, the cat's butt.

scott
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RSY wrote:
J Miller wrote:RSY,
Of course, I agree. But...there is one thing it won't do. So, I do have an old Bonanza O-frame for collet pulling duty.

Otherwise they are, indeed, the cat's butt.

scott
Forster does have collet pullers that will work with the Co-Ax presses, but you are right they don't work well with other brands of collet puller dies.
Another thing you can't do with them is set them up with a ram prime die. For these two things I have my RCBS presses.

Joe