POLITICS - Grrr... private range being attacked

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

POLITICS - Grrr... private range being attacked

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The news is on in the background - a rare occasion for me, as I find TV news generally worthless due to the bias (I read my news from various sources). But, it is a local (Charlotte) station, and I wanted to catch he weather. A "headline" caught my attention too - "local homeowners want gun range closed".

Turns out that a bunch of panty-waist sissies are whining about a private range owned by a local doctor. They want it closed. It also turns out that the doctor bought the land - 7 acres - long before anyone else was out there, and long before the neighborhood was built around him. He spent $15,000 building a 20-foot high berm, with a 60-foot base. The shooting lane doesn't even point towards the homes.

I hate these morons who move in, then think they can change what people have been doing who have lived there for years before they did. The whiner they showed on TV was a pathetic slug!!! :evil:
fknipfer
Levergunner

Post by fknipfer »

I understand how you feel and feel sorry for you guys. Best thing you can do is to sell the land to a minority pig farmer. I think that will even things up.

fknipfer
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Fknipfer,
What a great idea!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Out in CA where I grew up were two large diary farms. Been then since the early '20s; thru lean times and fat. In the '60s the land around them started being developed. Ultimately they were surrounded by land zoned "residential". They were forced to leave, the last one selling his land in the '70s. The one moved inland about 40 miles, where the cycle began again. He's since moved his operation to AZ. Where it has already begun. The short-sightedness of folks is absolutely astounding. Now I "KNOW" folks in CA don't eat meat, only stuff like tofu, etc., since many of the fashion "creamers" for their Starbucks come from a diary farm; just where SHOULD they be located.

A long about way of introducing my comment. Laws should be initiated regarding "initial use protection". Some jurisdictions have such. To quote one of my favorite criminals: "It's a good thing!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

This has happened to a friend of mine. The family farm is only 90 acres but they built houses all around him now. He hunts and still plinks, but not without calls to the sheriff. As I understand now, they are trying to re-zone him out of there. But he is putting up a good fight
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

You see the same thing with airports. They build 'em way out in the country to avoid the noise issues, then the idiots start building their houses right by the airport that was already there and whiiiiine about the noise! :evil:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I work for a local Council and have to deal with these folks all the time. I had one whiner complaining about the leaves falling off the trees in Fall and landing in her garden, she lived in a street called LEAFY LANE!!!

I also get city folk moving out to the sticks, buying a new house under a Rookery and then complaining about bird poo landing on their cars!!!

If you dare to have a Rooster that crows in the morning boy are you in trouble!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I believe many towns are seeing this and are doing things to control some of the negative impact.

The town I want to move to has done this several years ago. They have declared their town as a right to farm town. Many people from NYC moved in and complained about the smell of the dairy farms. So the town fathers got together and passed through changes to protect the bucolic nature of the town.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There was a story here on our local news yesterday about a blueberry farmer who has had to set out propane cannons to keep the birds out of his crops. Now the people who built houses near the farm are complaining.

One of the stores we deliver to has to have the delivery done before 11 PM or the people will complain. I had to laugh as I was leaving one night at 10:45. I looked over behind the grocery store that's in the same plaza and they have now installed a great big CAT generator to power the store in case the power goes off. I can't wait till that baby fires up.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Well it looks like another dream of my is in trouble. My plan for when I win the lottery, is to buy a section or two of land and build my own shooting range. I've always considered the neighbor thing and escaped urbanites when planing this and decided a section of land would be minimum to do what ever I wanted.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I get so sick of hearing the"I don't like it so YOU shouldn't do it."
"Don't tread on me."
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

For a short time I was on a Homesteading forum.

It consisted mainly of people who were city dwellers trying to turn country.

Almost every post soon was geared toward locking every gate. Tall fences, no treaspassing signs. No hunting. call the sherriff 6 days a week type attitude.

every post I made generally was contridicted by a city dweller turn country MOD. lady who opinion was the only one that carried weight on the topic.

I am sure this is what the world is coming to......

Even where I am now in the middle of now where that past 2 years houses are springing up all over.
AQHA Life Member
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

country

Post by brucew44guns »

I built a new house 3 years ago in Kansas, on a gravel road that is 3 miles long before it dead ends and you have to turn. Only 4 other residences exist on this road besides ours, and the closest is over 3/4 mile away. On the whole section of land we live on, only one other house stands, with other sections all around with no houses, just prairie or pasture land. People ask us all the time, arn't you worried about your investment out here? I say "NO". I'm just glad I don't have the worry of illegals, troublemakers, nosy neighbors, City Councils, or anti-gunners. Not yet at least.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Hey Griff, what's tofu? You seem pretty knowledgable about that kinda thing. S'pose even truckers born in California consume that latte stuff, uh? Thought tofu was the white compacted soil around Santa Fe New Mexico? Didn't know people ate it.

Regarding the point of the thread...I'd like some one to point out where in the Constitution does it allow government the right of emminant domain. It seems it is all over local and state laws. Just upsets me that some Johnny -come-lately can change generations of life styles just because they have more money!

I live just off a lake in Wisconsin and one of my now ex-neighbors was forced out of her house at 84 years old by new "rich" neighbors that do not even live here year round. Her and her late husband built their house sixty two years ago on what was then not the best lake front property. Being of modest means, they built a modest home maybe 1500square feet 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath and slowly built up the 1/2 acre lot wheel barrow by wheel barrow. Upon retirement, they lived their dream of living by the senic serenity by the lake. Her husband passed some ten years ago and her only income is SS and what is left of her savings, so thankfully she had no mortgage and could get by just having utilities and property tax. That is until about five years ago...developers moved in and began razing existing modest lake homes and building huge 10,000 sq ft three story "summer" homes. The average value of the lake front property soared and the local government under the influence of the developers started putting in zoning laws to squeeze out the Joe lunch boxes by esculating the property tax rate due to lake privledges. My neighbor's property tax rate went from $1500 dollars a year to $15,000 a year over the course of three years. Of course she could not afford it (she never even complained until the second year of the tax increase and her savings were all used up!), but once some of us long time residents heard of her plight, took up the fight. Needless to say, we could not beat city hall and the developers lobbyists. That third year we took up a collection to stop the town from foreclosing on her property and the year before last, the owner of a golf course (been in his family for over seventy years) covered her. Last year the town passed a law that states that all property taxes have to be paid by equitable means from personal income of the property owner or their immediate family. Another words, we cannot take up collections to help her keep her house. The reason for this was; her immediate neighbors had petitioned the town hall because they considered her clean, modest home a blight next to their multi-million dollar summer homes. Therefore, in the interest of PUBLIC DOMAIN, by getting her out of there, the community would benefit from increased property tax levy by having a more affluent home built on that desirable spot (remember, it wasn't considered desirable when she and her husband bought it). Big city lawyers and their lobbyists, along with their entrenched town council members(non paid wives and wealthy residents with nothing better to do) took this all the way through the court and won their day. The court condemned her property, paid her $.10 on the dollar (not even close to her "fair market value") and sold it in a closed auction to: guess who....the developer that intitiated the whole thing five years before. They gave her 30 days to get out and bulldozed her home on the 31st day. Within two months a four storey all glass 'exclusive' lake home was built on the spot and put up for sale at $2.7 million. The next election we got rid of enough of the board to gain a majority, but it was too late.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Hey Griff, what's tofu? You seem pretty knowledgable about that kinda thing. S'pose even truckers born in California consume that latte stuff, uh? Thought tofu was the white compacted soil around Santa Fe New Mexico? Didn't know people ate it.

Regarding the point of the thread...I'd like some one to point out where in the Constitution does it allow government the right of emminant domain. It seems it is all over local and state laws. Just upsets me that some Johnny -come-lately can change generations of life styles just because they have more money!

I live just off a lake in Wisconsin and one of my now ex-neighbors was forced out of her house at 84 years old by new "rich" neighbors that do not even live here year round. Her and her late husband built their house sixty two years ago on what was then not the best lake front property. Being of modest means, they built a modest home maybe 1500square feet 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath and slowly built up the 1/2 acre lot wheel barrow by wheel barrow. Upon retirement, they lived their dream of living by the senic serenity by the lake. Her husband passed some ten years ago and her only income is SS and what is left of her savings, so thankfully she had no mortgage and could get by just having utilities and property tax. That is until about five years ago...developers moved in and began razing existing modest lake homes and building huge 10,000 sq ft three story "summer" homes. The average value of the lake front property soared and the local government under the influence of the developers started putting in zoning laws to squeeze out the Joe lunch boxes by esculating the property tax rate due to lake privledges. My neighbor's property tax rate went from $1500 dollars a year to $15,000 a year over the course of three years. Of course she could not afford it (she never even complained until the second year of the tax increase and her savings were all used up!), but once some of us long time residents heard of her plight, took up the fight. Needless to say, we could not beat city hall and the developers lobbyists. That third year we took up a collection to stop the town from foreclosing on her property and the year before last, the owner of a golf course (been in his family for over seventy years) covered her. Last year the town passed a law that states that all property taxes have to be paid by equitable means from personal income of the property owner or their immediate family. Another words, we cannot take up collections to help her keep her house. The reason for this was; her immediate neighbors had petitioned the town hall because they considered her clean, modest home a blight next to their multi-million dollar summer homes. Therefore, in the interest of PUBLIC DOMAIN, by getting her out of there, the community would benefit from increased property tax levy by having a more affluent home built on that desirable spot (remember, it wasn't considered desirable when she and her husband bought it). Big city lawyers and their lobbyists, along with their entrenched town council members(non paid wives and wealthy residents with nothing better to do) took this all the way through the court and won their day. The court condemned her property, paid her $.10 on the dollar (not even close to her "fair market value") and sold it in a closed auction to: guess who....the developer that intitiated the whole thing five years before. They gave her 30 days to get out and bulldozed her home on the 31st day. Within two months a four storey all glass 'exclusive' lake home was built on the spot and put up for sale at $2.7 million. The next election we got rid of enough of the board to gain a majority, but it was too late.
Wow, that's a story that will enrage almost anyone.

There's a Johnny Cash song titled, "God's Gonna Cut You Down". It's all about a reckoning. I sure hope it's true.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep ..I belonged to a neat sportsman's club... people shooting there for years & years...But the area gradually got built up and sure enough the shooting range got closed down because the owner got tired of hearing all the stupid sniveling jerks that moved in by a shooting range
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

Yeppers, happens way too often. State of Floirda passed two laws.

1. If the range was there first too bad.
2. If the range has an EPA approved lead management program
you can't sue for enviromental purposes. Courts won't even hear
your case.

My club was smart. We built near the dump, which has now
been turned into the county incenerator. NOBODY lives there
today nor will they move in tomorrow. We have invested $500K
in building sky screens, you can't see the sky from the firing line.

In my opinion the NRA should be building more ranges. One in every county in the country. More shooters is far better than more lawyers.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

41_Marlin, you must be referring to the SCGGA range. It also helps that it's near the Sheriff's practice range where it is expected that a lot of noise will be generated. The neighbors certainly aren't going to call the sheriff about the noise. :)
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Are the whiners the problem, or could it be unethical

Post by AkRay »

developers and realtors? They're a profession like anyone else and they're not all without ethics, but these problems wouldn't be happening without their involvement.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Hey Griff, what's tofu? You seem pretty knowledgable about that kinda thing. S'pose even truckers born in California consume that latte stuff, uh? Thought tofu was the white compacted soil around Santa Fe New Mexico? Didn't know people ate it.

That just makes me want to puke. If that happened around here that "4 story $2.7 millon glass house would have trouble keeping it's windows intact! :evil:

Only thing I can say is I hope the town council, developers, and rich homeowners like the property they will all be getting in eternity - it will be a little warm, but they deserve it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: