Winchester 71 bolt removal to install bolt peep

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ltrr1971
Levergunner

Winchester 71 bolt removal to install bolt peep

Post by ltrr1971 »

I have a reproduction bolt peep for an early model 71. I need to remove the bolt to mount the nut that raises the peep up and down and am not sure of how to do it. Anyone have the knowledge on how to do that or where online there could be a blowup of the model 71 and the bolt? Thanks.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 71 bolt removal to install bolt peep

Post by Jarhead »

ltrr1971 wrote:I have a reproduction bolt peep for an early model 71. I need to remove the bolt to mount the nut that raises the peep up and down and am not sure of how to do it. Anyone have the knowledge on how to do that or where online there could be a blowup of the model 71 and the bolt? Thanks.
Go to e-bay and type in Model 71....I bought a 2 page disassembly procedure for under 10 bucks...free shipping. By James M. Triggs...American Rifleman..1963. Has a parts legend with it.

Mike
Last edited by Jarhead on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I have the $10.00 Radocy takedown guide that you can get online. It has schematics as well as instructions regarding takedown. You can order it and have it within a couple of days, download it, or PM me for other "options."
http://www.takedownguides.com/Long_Guns.htm
Chad
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Be very careful when punching out the pin that retains the bolt and lever to each other. There is a piece on the bottom of the bolt that retains the ejector assembly. If any side load is placed on the bolt when you try to punch the pin, it will break this ear off. So long bolt! The bolt and lever CAN be removed from the receiver as a unit. It is tricky, but can be done.
I seem to remember my 71 had the peep nut in the bolt (above the firing pin) from the factory, even without the sight itself. You might get lucky and find it.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Gun Smith wrote: I seem to remember my 71 had the peep nut in the bolt (above the firing pin) from the factory, even without the sight itself. You might get lucky and find it.
I've heard that from several folks in the past.
Chad
ltrr1971
Levergunner

Post by ltrr1971 »

I looked into my bolt but there was no peep nut. Maybe there was a bolt peep on your gun at some earlier time and it was removed but the nut was left as it is too hard to remove. Just a thought. Daryl
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

All guncranks of any magnitude should have a complete library of J.B Woods disassembly/assembly books. All very detailed that a novice can follow. For the price of about a hundred dollars, one can take apart and put back together most any common gun and many uncommon ones-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD