Tommygun Firing Before Lockup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Tommygun Firing Before Lockup

Post by Sixgun »

"The Gunny" and I cruised on up to the gunclub today with a variety of military weapons to blast steel and generally have a good time. We shot a pair of 03A3's, two Garands, 1911 Colt, Uzi, Remington Keene 45-70, AR, M1A , some handguns and "The Gunny's" Auto Ordnance M1A Thompson (semi-auto).

So..........."The Gunny" and I are always switching each other's guns and I told him I wanted to blast a couple of 30 rounds stick mags from his Thompson and I even had my own ammo..........230 gr. Lyman cast hard with 5 grains of Bullseye. So...........(again) I started to proceed to blast the 100 meter 6" plate and about in the 10th round............blaaaaaaat.....a 3 round burst....not cool..................I cleared the gun and checked things out, figuring a rare occurance as "The Gunny" told me it never happened before, so..........I continued firing..........then blatt....sssssss.....and some other strange noises and my face caught a mess of grit. This time I told him to rid of this junk gun and give me back my Smith Carona. Picking up the empties I noticed two strange looking empties, indicating firing before the bolt was locked.

Cause was probably the lead bullets hanging up on the feed ramp and me pulling the trigger.---------Sixgun

Another view
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tommygun Firing Before Lockup

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Those are going to be hard to resize!! :o
Must have a stuck firing pin. I don`t think they are made to slam fire like the grease gun was.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
First "belted" caliber .45 ACP I have seen. Had to be an interesting moment.
Would be interesting to see if your cast loads would loosly chamber completely with the bolt locked back.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Stick with factory FMJ and it won't likely be a problem.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

someone on this forum loaded this-- the 38-45... :)
.38-45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Those are going to be hard to resize!! :o
Must have a stuck firing pin. I don`t think they are made to slam fire like the grease gun was.
If I recall, late models did have a fixed firing pin. But in any case, this was a semi-auto so it surely does not apply.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

These cast loads chambered easily. Thompson's, like most semi autos, have generous tolerences. Like MrMurphy say's, jacketed will cure the issue and we did fire a hundred or so of them and there were no issues. Yea, the cast were hanging up on the feed ramp and my shooting fast probably had something to do with it. :D

I've put a thousand cast through the Uzi with no issues at all and Mike Venturino shoots cast through his 9mm and 45 subguns.

Maybe I can talk "The Gunny" into cleaning his guns once in a while. He has a terrible habit of shooting his guns, wiping down the outside and putting them away. And this guy was a 20 year Marine with 5 years or so as a DI. Could you imagine one of his recruits having a dirty gun? :D He had one guy jump through a window (second floor) to get away from him and many recruits wet themselves while in formation. A dirty gun? He would have made them peel potatoes for 2 weeks. :D -----------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

"And the cobblers children go to school barefooted!"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch. Those are not the cheapest of guns. Glad you are okay! :shock: