Marlin 336 ss scope ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 336 ss scope ?

Post by win38-55 »

I have a brand new Marlin 336 ss in 30-30. I want to put a scope
on this gun and was thinking about getting a leopold 3x9-40 VX II.
The question I have is what to do about mounting it to the rifle.
What type of rings a bases are you guys and gals using.
Also are there any other scope's that might be better suited for woods hunting? Say 100 yards or less. Any tips on mounting it would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help. :?:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The pictures aren't very good, but hopefully they show the basic idea. These are see through mounts, not see through rings, and they are low enough that you can also still use the stock sights (or tang sights, if you prefer) as 'backup' or for faster use. I replaced the open sight with a 'peep' blade assembly (from old model Ranch Rifle), which I like better.

The photo view appears WAY more cluttered that it really is, because your eye is much closer than the camera, and because I left the scope covers on, and because there is also a politically incorrect laser mounted low and to the left of the scope. The only drawback is if you like really low mounted scopes, but with a levergun, I don't find the 'cheek weld' to be nearly as important as with the guns I might shoot off a bench.

As an aside, a higher line of sight results in a larger range of distances within which your bullet is closest to your exact line of sight, pushing farther out the distance at which you need to use 'holdover' to hit the target.

The gun is a 1894, but the same mounts fit the 336 and 1895 guns (and the Mossberg '500' shotguns, I think...!)

Image Image
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I've had real good luck with the fixed 2.5 Weavers as well as the 4x Weaver. That is plenty for 100 yds. Not too tough on the wallet either and very tough.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3-9X40 ? See-through mounts ? On a Marlin ? I think I need a shot of brandy.........quick ! :mrgreen:
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

My recommondation would be for a smaller scope on the order of a 2-7x33 VXI or VXII, or a 1-4 VXI or II. The VXI 2-3x33 can be had in silver finish with a heavy duplex and that might just be a perfect marriage for your SS rifle. Or if you can get the one listed in the link below...GO FOR IT! I purchased 3 of these because they were such a great deal... good luck.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1948-218-nikon-1 ... scope.aspx
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.