Primers backing out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Primers backing out

Post by hondo1892 »

I had my new old Winchester 94 in 32 special out this past weekend and was shooting some old Winchester ammo in it. The primers would back out of every round I shot but the new Remington ammo was fine. Did the old stuff, probably from the 80's loose some of its kick or something else? I know when you have too little pressure this will happen but didn't think too much would cause it. I'm looking forward to get my dies and brass so I can load some lead bullets up and see how they shoot. Also what do you guys like to use to get copper fouling out of the bore. I usually don't have to deal with copper because I shoot mostly lead.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Primers backing out

Post by piller »

Just based on what happens with shotgun shells, if you reload them enough times, then the primer pocket will loosen and the primers will back out when you fire the round. I am not sure if this happens with rifle or pistol cartridges. It seems plausible to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep - too little pressure. They may have been exposed to heat and degraded some?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Definately not an expert on '94s, but I've read here that this is a symptom of excessive headspace in older '94s. Someone better informed will tell you reliable ways to chech the headspace on a levergun...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Depending on the severity of the backing out, it could be low pressure, excess headspace, or nothing at all. Chambers on traditional leverguns tend to be on the generous side to facilitate feeding, and slight primer protrusion can be considered normal in the absence of more severe symptoms.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Pisgah gave a good summary.

This comes up now and then. Here's a thread from the past, read my post. It can be a combination of undersize ammo headspace, max(but still in spec) gun headspace, and other factors. Unless extreme, it isnt likely to cause a problem.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =headspace
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Also, rim thickness can vary from brand to brand. A strong ejector can hold the case forward in the chamber, allowing primers to back out slightly. Check headspace and do a chamber cast. Compare to specs: ... wouldn't you know it, the 32WS isn't listed! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys, the old winchester ammo was the one having primers back out. Remington ammo was fine, no primers backing out. I checked the headspace with a nogo gauge and bolt wouldn't close all the way so that should be fine. My nogo guage is only .006" larger than the rim spec is that the norm for them? I wasn't overly concerned when I seen the primers backing out on just the old stuff. If the new ammo did the same thing I would have been worried.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have seen that happen often with 30-30 rifles at the range, even fairly new ones. I believe the factory ammo is loaded rather lightly, on purpose, and if the chambers are just a little loose (still in spec), or the ammo is just a little cold, the primers will start to back out just a bit. From everythin I've seen with my own eyes, this is just a cosmetic flaw. I have only had one 32 Special, and the two boxes of winchester factory ammo I used in it did not do that. Neither did all the reloads I made with that brass. However, that certainly doesn't prove it cant happen, just like the 30-30, for the above reasons.

I use Sweets 7.62 solvent, applies with a tight nylon brush to the bore, whe still hot just after fireing for the copper. After a five or six cycles of application, and removing with a patch around a slightly saller brush, I clean the bore out with Fitz case polish, applies on a patch around a nylon brush. Then remaove the same way as the Sweets.

This may not get every last bit of copper, but on rifles that are not super precise bull barrel target guns, I don't worry about it.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

hondo1892 wrote: Also what do you guys like to use to get copper fouling out of the bore.
Since I tried the foaming bore cleaners a few years ago (either Outer's or Wipe-Out) I've never used anything else. I've got bottles of Sweet's and Montana Extreme sitting here unused.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

earlmck wrote:
hondo1892 wrote: Also what do you guys like to use to get copper fouling out of the bore.
Since I tried the foaming bore cleaners a few years ago (either Outer's or Wipe-Out) I've never used anything else. I've got bottles of Sweet's and Montana Extreme sitting here unused.
+1 on that Wipe-Out!!
See results of Wipe-Out experiment and results with pix here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=34951