Accurate Arms Answer To 5744 Spike*pic added*

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Accurate Arms Answer To 5744 Spike*pic added*

Post by Sixgun »

First, I would like to thank all of the fine shootists here who chimed in on the 5744 problem. I called their customer service and got hold of the ballistician. I ran the story down just like I said in my other post. He wanted to know what the load was.--I told him 32 grains with a 375 NEI gas checked bullet sized .459 in the 45-90 case. Then he wanted to know the lot # which I no longer have. It was the end of an 8 lb jug that I transfered to a smaller one pound plastic container of 5744. I threw out the empty 8 pounder a month ago.

Then he wanted to know when I bought it and I believe but not 100% that it was in Oct. 2006. Now he wants me to send him the rest of the unfired ammo which I will do.

I explained that I and many others are deeply concerned with this and we want an answer. (yea, they are gonna tell us their powder is dangerous to use. I can hear it now, "Yea Jack, We don't know what your worried about, we have only had 16 reports of guns blowing up!")

I think I'm beating a dead horse.

I will stop using 5744 in large bore calibers. I know of 4 instances (personally) where there were problems. One Hi-Wall 45-70, and three 1886's-one Browning in 45-70 and two originals in 45-90. I load between 7 and 12 thousand rounds a year and in the last 35 years I have had TWO problems with pressure, and both were with 5744 in big bore calibers. And your talking to a guy who uses LOTS of Bullseye and Unique in LOTS of old guns.

Don't know if this is the problem, but in three of the instances, the outside temperatures were in the high thirties. I chrono loads in all kinds of temps and contrary to what Mike V. says, I get 100-200 fps drops when going from 90 degrees down to 10 degrees using 5744.

I will continue to use 5744 in the smaller cases such as 30-30, 32-40, 32 Spl, 38-55, 35 Win. and a few others probably because I have so many rifles sighted in for it, never chronographed any pressure deviations with these smaller cases and d*** it, I just bought two more 8 pounders!

Ill let you boys know how things turn out. In the meantime, life goes on.---------------------------Sixgun

Here's a pic of the case. The one on the left is the case I fired immediately before the spiked one. Kind of hard to see as I'm not much of a photographer, but the suspect case on the right has flattened lettering with a nasty looking primer.
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the update Sixgun. Hopefully, they may be able to replicate what happened. The 8 lb jug I have is much older than that. I also transfer some to a 1 lb jug for each of filling my powder measure as I reload.

After you posted your load, I went and looked at their website for loading data; they list from 30 - 35 grains for the .45-90, yet when they recommended my load in my .40-90SBN, they recommended a max load of 29 grains behind my 350 grain bullet. I'm sure that it being a bottle neck, there might be a bit more pressure, but I'm getting consistent loads in the mid- to high 1500fps range.

Look forward to what they say after they have a chance to inspect your ammo. Did you send the case in which the spike occurred?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Sixgun- Thanks for the post on 5744. As a new kid on the block, I had to search your original post. It is spooky to think aboout what you went through. I use it in my original Trapdoors, Sharps and Ruger #1 as well as my 38-55. Please keep us informed.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Thank you for the 5744 post. As one who is starting to use this more and more, I was quite concerned as I don't want to have any kabooms happen.

If possible, could the moderators sticky this topic as it has big implications for levergunner reloaders, please? Thanks!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Wow that pick says alot. :shock:
I hope they are able to figure out what the deal is and take care of it.
Keep us posted.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have no doubt that you are a competent, conscientious reloader but I am willing to wager that they will give you a hard time about mixing the contents of one container into the contents of another container, same powders not with standing. I wonder if different lots could cause such results? My hunch is no but.... The pains that the powder manufactures go through in the name of safety knows no limits. They do make mistakes however but they seem to invariably catch said mistakes, sometimes after a mishap like yours. Glad you are safe. Please keep us informed. 1886.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's a very good pic, Sixgun. It certainly sez A LOT. That "flowing" around the primer is indicative of VERY high pressure!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Jack nice pics That primer is scarey .
IM hoping someone can figure this out from the other post it appears all the bases are covered in what MAY have happened .
Now im not sure whatI want to do with my 5744 that I have left been using it for so long and with success ,but now im scared .
Looks like im going to be experimenting with new powders again after all these years .
The only objections I ever had before to 5744 was the unburnt residue and kernels which I always suspected was the cause of the fliers I got regularly that spoiled great groups with cast bullets.
OH well BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The picture makes that troubled case look longer than the other.

Seems like after firing the other 7 or so pounds of powder in that keg, it would have exhibited some sort of hint at a problem before now. :?: When powder goes bad it's pretty evident in short order.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

H-4350 does a very nice job for the 45-70. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30