Range Report.. NOT!..Stuff Happened..UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Range Report.. NOT!..Stuff Happened..UPDATE

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well stuff happens..Didn’t make it to the range today due to a couple of reasons..My Lee priming tool lever busted….Naturally it was two cases after I had been musing to myself that I had never had one break!.. Heh heh.. no prob I had a spare on hand … bought it a couple of years ago for just in case..Retrived and installed it and was ready to go in 5 min…But what really upset me off was that the new one broke on the first stroke!.. & the primer wasn’t even half way in the pocket!! That sucker broke like it was made out of a Saltine cracker...I moved on from loading the 44-40 to putting together 20 rounds for the 300 Sav to test & clock…Some how the seating depth adjust ment was off.. The upshot of that was a bullet stuck in the rifling & powder (2460) dumped in the magazine when I ejected the round..With the cock on closing feature of the 99 I couldn’t feel the bullet engage the rifling..Now I have to disassemble the gun .. remove the rotary mag.. clean things out…Oh well.. the mag did need to be relubed at some point .. The lube I’m sure is factory lube on this circa 1960 carbine…Hopefully I’ll get to the range next week end..
UPDATE
Well I just finished up the job of cleaning out the action of my 99. I ground a couple of screw drivers to fit the screws just right and so I didn’t booger any, the Kroil I put on them the other day let them turn loose nicely.. Now the powder that contaminated the action is the very fine grained AA 2460. I was pretty sure it was going to be bad, but I was holding out some hope that the magazine would be where most of the contamination was …I was positive it was really bad when I saw powder running out of the stock bolt hole!! Powder was everywhere, total disassembly required…never done it before…That was the easy part.. Getting the powder granules out of all recesses turned out to be waay more than I anticipated. Having no compressed air was a real handicap, take my word for it guys..So my approach was tying to douche it out with WD-40….Well that was dumb..Yeah it got a bunch out alright, but what remained were little clumps stuck in various screw holes and corners…. but dark colored powder in all the recesses inside of a blued steel receiver was not gonna work for these sad old eyes.. OK I’ll degrease everything with Brake cleaner!!…Well the upshot of that was a well enough dried out receiver… and the remaining powder kernels were easily visible because they were now transformed into a bluish dot encircled by a paler shaded residue that stuck like poo to a shoe.. Man I picked at that “crapâ€
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I replaced the lever on my Lee priming tool once and the second one failed shortly after just like yours did. It went straight into the garbage can and was replaced with an RCBS hand tool ( early one without the feed tray.
I love that one and it works just great for me. :wink:
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

My lee priming tool broke also, sent it to the garbage can and bought a RCBS (has the priming tray) and no problems since.
Karl
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlin shooter wrote:My lee priming tool broke also, sent it to the garbage can and bought a RCBS (has the priming tray) and no problems since.
Karl
Same here ( my third!).
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I won't give up on the Lee priming device as yet...As I said it worked fine for many years I'm more worried about getting the rotory mag out & back in.. The screws on the action are pristine..Iv'e doused them with Kroil in preparation for the job..Keeping my fingers crossed!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I must be lucky (I know I am now cursing myself for sure) - I've been using mine for years without a hitch! :shock:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I bought my Lee over 15 years ago in Tennessee, and am still using it. No failures of any kind!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I bent mine a little & bought one in anticipation of it breaking. Never did break tho.
I think I got a lot of fat CCI primers. Never had any trouble with any other primer but 2 boxes of CCI I got from the same place, theyre old but that shouldn't matter.

Anyway I know its cheap & i'm not surprised some break, but I like it.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Ben,
Call Lee. They will send a replacement....no charge. Been there, done that.

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Wolfy
Levergunner

Post by Wolfy »

The Lee hand-priming tool comes with a set of directions.....read them, if you did not chuck them into the wastebasket when you took it out of the box. It clearly states that that little pot-metal dogbone or link needs to be lubed with a light coating of grease every now and then.

I broke the thumblever on my first one and sent away for a replacement. The letter which came with the lever said that I had most likely galled the dogbone and built up a ridge of metal that kept the seating plunger from going full depth in seating the primer. Upon examination of the link, I could see that was exactly what had happened :oops: Lee also sent a replacement dogbone link along with the lever...AT NO CHARGE :!: I've used that replacement link and lever for years now, but pop it apart now and then, wipe the black crud out of it, douche with a shot of brake cleaner, re-lube and go back to work. I have no doubt the tool will outlast me...just read the *******' directions and stop blaming the tool :roll:
Last edited by Wolfy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfy
Levergunner

Post by Wolfy »

Judging from the number of responses to my last post....I guess I was right 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wolfy wrote:Judging from the number of responses to my last post....I guess I was right 8)
Cleaned, lubed and whatever. I broke three of them and not one RCBS ( 10,000+ rounds later) . I like LEE and some of their products but the Auto prime is a joke.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I had mine lubed from day one..The replacement however was defective & thanks for the input fellas.. I'll give Lee a holler & we'll see what we see..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Wolfy , I did read the F----- directions and kept it lubed. I found out later Lee had redesigned it and the newer ones were much improved. OH WELL that was 30 years ago. :wink:
Wolfy
Levergunner

Post by Wolfy »

Maybe you're trying to put large primers in small primer pockets :D The only wear that I can detect on mine is the "nubs" on the plastic magazine lid for the tray. Doesn't lock quite as solidly as it did when new, but other than that....NO problems. I use mine for re-priming .45-2.6-.540 Sharps cartridge brass that is, by necessity, cleaned thoroughly after each firing. Maybe that's the difference. I've found it to be a great tool that works as advertised....when the directions are followed. They are NOT junk :!:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think we are talking about two different priming tools. The one I threw away was the old one that had no primer feed tray. You had to put them on one at a time. The handle was cast out of pot metal and snaped off easily.
I have been loading since the early 60`s and my brass is cleaner than factory. No LR primers in SR pockets!! :D
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've got two Lee Auto-Prime tools, broke on thumblever right away, and just the other nite broke one of the trays off! I've been meaning to call Lee for a replacement, but now have LOST the thumb lever! Guess I'll have to ask about that also! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!