which one would you buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

which one would you buy?

Post by rossim92 »

I have a friend who has a winchester 1894 ae with the rebounding hammer and a marlin lever with a scope, both are chambered for the 30-30. He will take 400 for either one. the marlin has the microgrooved barrel.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Re: which one would you buy?

Post by old06 »

One vote for the Marlin I have some of each and I like the Marlin's
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, Microgroove rifling makes little/no difference.

More to the point is a shooter's druthers.

Since a Win 94AE and a Marlin 336 (I presume) have different receiver styles, which one feels best in YOUR hands, when you pick it up & carry it ?

Since a Win 94AE and a Marlin are designed differently - also think about takedown/cleaning.

The Marlin's bolt comes out via opening the lever halfway, removing it's pivot screw, then dropping the lever out the bottom & the bolt out the back. Done.

The Winchester, while by no means "hard", IS more involved, to achieve the same takedown.

If the Marlin is a pre-CBS (cross bolt safety), I'd get it in a flash, but if the 94AE was also a pre-CBS, I'd buy it before the Marlin.

YMMV, of course.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Beings that its your buddy, ask if you shoot both of them. Use different loads with jacketed and cast. Then make your choice. :wink:

Forget the scope issue, unless its a Leupold. Cheap scopes are just that...cheap-----------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I like the Winchester 94, but without the rebounding hammer. I don't like the rebounding hammer because it makes the trigger pull very heavy and long. So, I'd recommend the Marlin 336. I've not had any accuracy problems with the micro-groove barrel while using factory ammo or jacket bullets. As far as the scope is concerned, if of good quality (Weaver K4 or better) it adds value to the package. If it's a low value scope, it should be considered a throw away and void of any added value. Either way, both guns - without scopes, if in very good condition, are worth $400. My money would go on the Marlin.
"Please don't feed the trolls. Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy..."
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

+1 Marlin because it is so easy to fully disassemble for deep cleaning and gunsmithing the action.
+1 for ease of boresighting if that is desired.
+1, my Marlins demonstrate better accuracy than my Winchesters.
-1 Marlin because maybe it has the "marlin jam" ??

+1 Winchester for the super-smooth leveraction function (smoother than my Marlins).
+1, my Win's have never jammed during the leveraction cycle.
-1 Winchester, it is a serious chore to fully disassemble for deep clean and boresighting.

Otherwise, buy 'em both and eventually sell the one you like least.

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, IMO, 400 is high for either one.....You should be able to find either in the 300 range....Unless, the current craze has overtaken levers, as well. That 400 would buy a nice, old 94 that would have a lot more class.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

For Me it is a slam dunk,Marlin. the A/E Winnie rebounder was a pain from the day I got it. never ever again :twisted: .......... now My model 64 made in '53 makes me smile. :D .
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Offer $700 for both.... :-)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i bought in December (2012) a 1979 Winchester 94 in good condition for $395.00 (pre-AE, my past AE experience was not very good, actually it was lousy, but that was my experience with one paticular levergun)...and i have owned Marlins, and recently a REM-Marlin 336BL (no longer with us)...in the end if i had to choose between the two i would choose the Winchester 94AE, but i would want to see how it would shoot and function before i would finalize my purchase--i have come to realize in my advanced age that i prefer the feel and the balance of a Win.94...even if it's a 94AE... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

It would be the Marlin for me :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I agree with Blaine, in my part of the country he's a little high on them. Just yesterday 2nd son bought a 94 30-30 for $250 and no rebounding hammer or CBS.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Neither with a qualifier.

I will not buy another Win 94 AE. Period. No exception.
I cannot shoot a Marlin 336 with a pistol grip stock without getting my cheek bashed. So a PG stocked Marlin is out too.

The qualifier is if the Marlin was a straight stocked version I'd grab it.

Otherwise I'd politely tell my friend thanks but no thanks and pass on them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I agree with whoever said to handle and if possible shoot both and see which one you like. I also agree with whoever said to offer him $700 for both - that might have been the best advice. Then you can shoot both as much as you like and sell the one you like less (if you want) later.

When I moved to a rifle county in 2002, my first goal was to buy a winchester 94 in 30-30. So I went and handled a bunch of them and ended up buying a marlin 336 and haven't regretted it for a second. At that time, the Marlins were still made really well, but the winchesters seemed to be slightly less so.

My marlin 336 is way smoother and cycles faster than any winchester I've handled, I've never had any kind of jam and it shoots way more accurate than I ever will.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote:Well, IMO, 400 is high for either one.....You should be able to find either in the 300 range....Unless, the current craze has overtaken levers, as well. That 400 would buy a nice, old 94 that would have a lot more class.
I agree unless you just really want to pay $400, then I'll ship you all mine :)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

$400 is high depending one what type of scope and mounts!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rossim92 wrote:I have a friend who has a winchester 1894 ae with the rebounding hammer and a marlin lever with a scope, both are chambered for the 30-30. He will take 400 for either one. the marlin has the microgrooved barrel.
Neither. But, if you're looking to help your friend, either is ok.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!