double gun front loader,,,,,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

double gun front loader,,,,,

Post by Nath »

ing is always a pleasure!

Useing paper cartridges made in front of the tv I had over a dozen shots for three pheasants and a rabbit. Not good shooing but good all the same 8)

If she thinks I'm plucking another one this Sunday she is wrong :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: double gun front loader,,,,,

Post by 3leggedturtle »

It is better to have shot 12 times and hit 3 Than to have shot 0 and hit 0 :roll: Glad you still got out and tramped around a bit.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Of all the MLs I've played with the shotgun was by far the most fun... The only time I felt handicapped with it was when Doves were coming along in droves...I just poured eq vol powder & shot from my flasks & used V.M. Starr’s wadding method... same thickness wads used over powder & shot, but 2 or 3 of 'em for over powder & one for the over shot... Maybe with made up loads like yours I might not felt handicapped on the doves the few times we got into 'em when they were coming in thick... How you make up them carts Nath?... Thanks for posting...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds like a good day to me. 8)
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Your living large for sure. Well done! :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paint me jealous! :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rjohns94 wrote:Your living large for sure. Well done! :mrgreen:
Dear Mike, I suffer just like the rest, illness, aging, working, waves of depression, struggling to pray or not praying enough!
Ben_Rumson wrote:Of all the MLs I've played with the shotgun was by far the most fun... The only time I felt handicapped with it was when Doves were coming along in droves...I just poured eq vol powder & shot from my flasks & used V.M. Starr’s wadding method... same thickness wads used over powder & shot, but 2 or 3 of 'em for over powder & one for the over shot... Maybe with made up loads like yours I might not felt handicapped on the doves the few times we got into 'em when they were coming in thick... How you make up them carts Nath?... Thanks for posting...
Ben, I understand. I just let them fly by etc.
I have tried all manner of ways to speed the loading but decided thats not really important! I have been on many a driven bird day and scores of pheasants pass over. I just ask if someone would like to share my peg or back gun for me, if they do then they cover my reloading if they don't well I did ask!

The paper is simply PVA glued around a dowel and one end glued and folded. Once dry, powder or shot added and the open end is simply folded a couple or three times.

In the photo my left hand warmer pocket has the shot and wads and the right pocket the powder and overshot cards.

I too favour the OS cards for a wad but have a stack of fiber ones so tried them in spring and get good patterns. I do like using a little less powder than shot (FFF). If I load ball the left tube seems best and for some reason preferes a wad too and then the patched ball. I was gatting blown patches all the time before the wad was used.

Yesterday gents I also found deer slots from our tiny Muntjac deer again, looks like they are returning :D
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... IQBEPwdMAo

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used O/S wads on top of the powder, after reading about V.M.Starr, it worked well for me too.
Glad to see you are making smoke my friend... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I recall at one time I had a W. C. Scott and Son ML double. Really a nice gun that shot well. Traded it for a camera lens.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

M. M. Wright wrote:I recall at one time I had a W. C. Scott and Son ML double. Really a nice gun that shot well. Traded it for a camera lens.
That is ok, we are all sinners some way or another, as long as you have repented and learnt from it you will be fine :wink:

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My Brother Nath are y'all allowed to hunt the deer now ? Interesting info about them using their canine teeth to fight with....my dream has always been to spend time in Scotland hunting Roe Deer, gamebirds and fly fishing.....all from some wonderful Castle....but a working man's wages and now Degenerative Joint Disease have made that dream just a dream but with fine men like you sharing we can all share the British Hunting/Fishing experience.....thanks sir.....

rick
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jumbeaux wrote:My Brother Nath are y'all allowed to hunt the deer now ? Interesting info about them using their canine teeth to fight with....my dream has always been to spend time in Scotland hunting Roe Deer, gamebirds and fly fishing.....all from some wonderful Castle....but a working man's wages and now Degenerative Joint Disease have made that dream just a dream but with fine men like you sharing we can all share the British Hunting/Fishing experience.....thanks sir.....

rick
Dear Rick, if ever you can I can put you in touch with some fine men that would see you ok. Just south of Edinborough!

N 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never had a ML shotgun. Always thought it'd be too complicated for my simple mind. After making up brass BP shotshells, I'm sure it couldn't be harder! So it probably is. :P :lol: :lol:

One other comment... methinks your tag line is a tad misleading! You Sir, seem to get more shooting and hunting in than the rest of us combined! Congrats, and just a little :mrgreen: on finding and living the secret!

I have a friend that's wealthy beyond compare, (at least to the rest of my friends), and he seems just as "troubled" as the rest of us... I keep trying to get him to adopt me... but, so far he's ignored the not-so-subtle hints! Oh yeah, Sixgun, HIS lead stash makes you look like a "piker"!

I keep trying to get away from work and have him meet me for a WY antelope hunt with our .30-30 Leverguns. We can never get our schedules to match. You'd think that a guy that doesn't "work," wouldn't have a "schedule!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, you're so good about posting about your hunting outings. Thank you. You do a lot more hunting than I do, and I live in the American West.

And as to your comment, "I suffer just like the rest, illness, aging, working, waves of depression, struggling to pray or not praying enough!"
You just described me to a tee, although I don't work for a living any more, just work because it has to be done.
God bless you.
Bill
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I made some "quickloaders" for my 12 ga double muzzleloader out of pieces of 1/2" coldwater PVC pipe and plastic caps to fit. They worked great until the ex Mrs Willy's brother got to playing with them making pipe bombs while I was on deployment in the Med.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.