The Duplex Reticle On Your Scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

The Duplex Reticle On Your Scope

Post by Blaine »

You all prolly know this already, but......After you sight in your rifle in at 100 yards (or where ever) place the intersection of your bottom, heavy/light reticle on the bullseye, and shoot a group. It will be higher than your 100 yard POI....Using a table, or a SWAG you now know how to holdover on those longer shots when you have to hold over for a deadly POI.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Duplex Reticle On Your Scope

Post by Old Savage »

7" for a Leupold 4x at 100 yds
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:7" for a Leupold 4x at 100 yds
About 1 foot for my 2.5x Leupold Scout, 300 grain Winchester 45-70s I'm hunting with this year on the 1895GS....That translates into (close to) dead on at 200yds. with that load.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

My 30-06 will go 2" high at 100, allowing for a hold on the back line of a deer at 300 and the tip of the bold cross hair on target at 400.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The point of the duplex is my aim point for the 600 yard plate with the Ruger 308 using ball ammo. Scope is an old Weaver 4x. Never checked it at other ranges, just figured out its the hold point for that range and load, sighted about 3" high @ 100.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

One day I was shooting and started talking to a guy there on the line. He asked me if I knew how to use the duplex as a range finder. I told him no. I put out a 1" grid target at 100 yards and we looked to see how many inches were between the tips of the wide part of the duplex.

I can't remember how many inches were between, but once we saw that he did a ratio calculation based on a deer being 18" from the top of his back to the bottom of his belly. Then he said based on that calculation if a grown deer didn't fill up the space between the points of my duplex top to bottom it was more than 150 yards away.

He did it fast and I couldn't do it again but he was right. That info makes it easy to tell if a deer is close enough to hold dead on.

The way he did it was if there was 7" between my duplex then it would be 7" at 100 yards is to 18" at x yards or something along those lines.

7/100 = 18/x
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I was always of the opinion that the distance between the two bold points was 30" at 100 yards.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Stan in SC wrote:I was always of the opinion that the distance between the two bold points was 30" at 100 yards.
I think it varies with the make of scope.

ALSO it varies with the magnification setting (unless you have a very fancy 'first-plane reticle' scope).

You can also take advantage of the 'duplex' joint to know where two different loads shoot from the same gun. At 4x the scope on my .300 Blackout is 100-yard zero'd for subsonic loads, and the supersonics will be at the top 'duplex' joint. I have to do some more range time (shucks :wink: ) and see where the two loads are farther down-range; it would be nice to know where the two loads cross down to the center and other joint.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

it would be nice to know where the two loads cross down to the center and other joint.
I would think that a ballistics program could tell you that....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I would think that a ballistics program could tell you that....
Yep. I just want to get it verified at a longer-range. Extrapolating back to 50 yards from 300 always works better than going from 50 yards to 300...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was just doing that 2 weeks ago on my Colt 6940. Dead on at 200------- the 69 gr. Sierra Matchking nails the 300 meter pig at the beginning of the Leupold 2 X 7 duplex. I have no idea how that works out or how many inches it is. I just know it works. I guess you could call it a "poor mans mil-dot".
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think the Leupold scope manuals have all that size info for duplexes. I have a Leupold VX-2 2-7 with what they call a long range reticle, and it has a couple dots between the cross hair and duplex point. It has info in the manual about what spacing that represents at different ranges and powers, and it has points on the power scale that represent range use and perhaps to make aim points consistant for certain ranges. It's been a while since I read the manual. The dots can be used as aim points for various ranges, and used as ranging indicators for sizing things. It looks real simple looking thru the cope, but theres a fair bit that can be done with it. They also have a Boone and Crocket reticle on the VX-3 scopes that is a nice ranging tool.

If you want the most ranging capability, you can measure the thickness of the duplex wire also, and it gives another indication when ranging
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?