OT--Hornady 375 H&H factory load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Hornady 375 H&H factory load

Post by getitdone1 »

Find on the Hornady box of 375 H&H magnum "Heavy Mag" cartridges that the muzzle velocity is 2870 fps. Wow ! That puts it right up there with the old Weatherby 375 mag cartridge. Probably close to 4800 ft lbs of energy. Wow again ! Hornady's 270 gr Interlock bullet.

Haven't shot the gun yet. Maybe today. Would expect noticeably more recoil from these loads than from most. My Browning A-Bolt has a 26" barrel so be interesting when I chronograph it.

Any one here shot this Hornady factory load? Might it be a little too fast for the jacket thickness to obtain good penetration on large game?

Well.....as Elmer might say, could be a dandy groundhog load!

Don McCullough
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

i am sure hornady has put that together for buffalo etc...
i saw that cheaper than dirt had some of this ammo in winchester
at what i thought was a fair price
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don, I've read from consumer reviews that the Interlock bullets are pretty soft, meaning they expand rapidly. I can tell you that the tips are so soft that they will get mashed from recoil while in the magazine. As you said, great for thin-skinned game, although at that velocity I think you would have a lot of meat damage. I can't find anything in my manuals with that kind of velocity with a 270 grain bullet, so I suspect they are using a non-consumer available powder. Let me know how it chronographs for you, would you?

cowboytutt@sbcgloabal.net

Thanks!

-Tutt
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I ran a box of those through mine a while back. The actual velocity I clocked was nowhere near what they claimed on the box. Something like 2630-2650 as I recall. And yes, those Interlock bullet are pretty soft.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Before I built my own 375, a friend let me shoot his new model 70 .375 with the heavy magnum load. I fired three of the 300 grain heavy magnums, and one of them split the neck. I already had the dies and components, so I loaded up some hornady 270 grainers. I could feel the difference in recoil, but it wasn't that great. I'm assuming it was a brass problem, as none of my loads (I fired a box of 20) with Remington brass had any problems.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Like all expanding bullets I'm sure the Hornady Interlock bullet is good for large game BUT ONLY up to a certain velocity.

Wonder if 30 cal and up all have the same jacket thickness?

Seems I recall some one in this group telling me the Hornady Interlock bullets were known for good penetration.

Of course the variables are:

Size of game
Velocity of bullet
Distance of animal determining velocity when hit

Don McCullough