Building on another thread ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Building on another thread ....

Post by rjohns94 »

30-30, 32 special, 35 rem, or 38-55? And what configuration? The rifle will be a WWG customized Marlin. Primary hunting targets will be eastern whitetail, black bear, hogs. I'm kinda between two. 30-30 or 35 Remington. I'm currently without a lever in my inventory as I'm shifting stock around. I have a heavy caliber hunting rifle. I have a long range bolt gun. But I'm thinking of a general duty lever. I have a config in mind but would love to hear your comments.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Building on another thread ....

Post by 86er »

One look at "1000 Tags Filled" would easily sway you to the 35 Remington. There is no logical reason for it but the standard 200 grain @ 2100 fps has been 100% one shot kill on every bear it's ever been fired at in my ME bear camps, and likewise with WTD when I was present (either as a guide or as the shooter). Not too many other cartridges have anywhere near the statistical accomplishment of the 35 Rem over the course of my 24 years as a licensed outfitter. You do lose the long range (we've never pushed it past 150 yds) and you may be a wee bit light for giant northern or coastal bears, elk and such if the range isn't kept tight. It has a mild report and recoil and has proven to be very accurate for me in 4 different rifles that include a pump, auto and lever. I think you've been there done that with 30 WCF and know the potential. As far as the others, I've not seen the 32 ever out-do the 30 and likewise I have never seen it live up to the 35. Now the 38-55 could be ran stoutly in a modern rifle and would stretch your range or size of game a small notch with the right load, but with classic loads these are kind of peas in a pod. Think of it like the Nitro Express cartridges - 450, 470, 475 etc. Loads vary 40 grains or so bullets and velocity is +/- 125 fps but for the most part there is no difference between them. The one standout is the 450 NE 3.25" that was essentially the original. It just has a better record over history than the others. There is no scientific reason why, it just happens to be that way. So it is with the 35 Remington.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

rjohns94 wrote:30-30, 32 special, 35 rem, or 38-55? And what configuration? The rifle will be a WWG customized Marlin. Primary hunting targets will be eastern whitetail, black bear, hogs. I'm kinda between two. 30-30 or 35 Remington. I'm currently without a lever in my inventory as I'm shifting stock around. I have a heavy caliber hunting rifle. I have a long range bolt gun. But I'm thinking of a general duty lever. I have a config in mind but would love to hear your comments.
Playing around with the 44 mag. 336 Marlin Texan, I'm reminded how much fun it is to make a big hole with mild/medium recoil. The extra rounds are a comforting thought if one was to get into trouble. What can't you do with the 44 Mag/special? Brian Pearce's DRC custom 44 Marlin 1894 is nice. The 35's Sure are fun too and you can't argue with the fact that they were/are highly regarded here in terms of killing deer dead.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Whatever it is, I'll bet it's going to be interesting. 38-55 would have the cool factor down pat. BBore makes a hell for stout loading for that, and so could you.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

For some reason I am more partial to rimmed cartridges in leverguns, and single shots. I am also partial to big holes in big game.
For a custom I would personally go with the 38/55, and probably opt for a straight grip butt stock and tang mounted peep sight, slimmed down forestock too but that's just me. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Id go with the 38-55, in the Marlin you can load it stout & one of those 800lb. PA bear
wouldnt stand a chance, I have one in the CB & its a great gun,
Ive had the 35 Rem in the past but like the 38-55 better, thats my opine

ollogger
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a Jes rebore 38-55 in a 1973 Winchester 94 carbine and it is a joy to load for and shoot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Paco wrote about the .35 and it's potential. He is quite fond of it. I would think there is a larger bullet selection in the .35 range as well, but I haven't checked for sure.
I know one of our store managers shoots a .35 Remington. He says he has quit using his .270 Win, .270 WSM, and 7mm Mag. in favor of the .35.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You didnt comment on whether your putting glass on the gun, marlin or a rossi, you could chamber it to 33 wcf with a 200 gr bullet at 2400 fps as loaded by Snooky Williamson you are only 100 fps behind the 348 and the 338 has better SD&BC the 33 will out perform the other cartridges. Buffalo Arms manufactures the old hornady 200 gr interlock and theres a number of cast bullets for 338. Teddy R thought well of the 45-90 for big bear a hot loaded 300 gr 45 colt in a 92 action is a 45-90 +P and would knock the stuffing out of any hog, deer or bear that walks. danny
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I will have glass on it in qd mount.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I ever need a T-Rex killer supreme, I've got some of the last Nosler Partition .458 300gr bullets. A healthy dose of H4198, R-7, or the like will punch those out about 2,200. Heaven help my shoulder, but that is one kick butt load! Thankfully, I don't think I'll be needing that load anytime soon, but, it's nice to know I can do it if I have to :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Another vote for 35 Rem, when I was picking I was thinking about defense, and for the same amount of recoil the 35 Rem had more energy than a 44 mag.

In my experience it only shoots the jacketed 200 grain bullets well, and notice they are made to barely sit in the short neck, with a lot of bullet out the nose. Unlike 30-30 or pistol bullets. If you want to use a wide variety of bullets, look elsewhere, but if you are going for the regular 200 grain round nose, it's great.

I've tried the Remington and Sierra, and have a box of Hornady to try out soon.

If you look at charts, you'll see the 30-30 170 holds downrange energy best, but who wants that little hole?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I just secured the purchase of a 35 Remington, a straight stocked Marlin with flutes. No safety. A closet queen. Beautiful as new metaln with no wear. This will be the basis of the custom rifle. More to come.
Mike Johnson,

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:I just secured the purchase of a 35 Remington, a straight stocked Marlin with flutes. No safety. A closet queen. Beautiful as new metaln with no wear. This will be the basis of the custom rifle. More to come.
While I love my .30-30s, I have a 375 Marlin when I think glass and a little more umph might be needed! Either I didn't read far enough, or you posted just moments before me... but anyway:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:I just secured the purchase of a 35 Remington, a straight stocked Marlin with flutes. No safety. A closet queen. Beautiful as new metaln with no wear. This will be the basis of the custom rifle. More to come.

Sweet! I've only been shooting the .35R for just a few years but all three rifles I have in that caliber (Marlins) have been tack drivers! With multiple loads.
I have a Win 94 in .38-55 That shoots well with one loading around 1600 FPS. That's what is was made for and all I can ask of a 100 year +
rifle. One of my Grandfather's rifles and will always be with me.

I can't wait to see the finished rifle. I'm saving my pennies to send them my 94P/ .44Mag for a take down conversion. I've delt
with those guys before, first rate!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Clearly the obvious choice has eluded all of you. The 32 Special is what you should be looking at. Using the Federal ammo (or speer bullet)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Griff, i will post pics when it arrives. Got it off gunbroker
Mike Johnson,