Opinions requested 50-100-450 barrel length for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Opinions requested 50-100-450 barrel length for hunting

Post by Walker »

Against all common sense, I'm going to have my 1886 (black powder frame basket case) re-barreled to 50-100. I'm not comfortable with the old 45-90 barrel and its unknown history and I figure if you have to keep the pressures down to a safe level for the old frame, create the biggest hole possible.

I'm leaning towards either a 26 inch half octagon w/ short mag or a 22 inch half octagon w/ full mag and just developing one working 450 gr load.

What barrel length would you guys go with for the 50-100?

Your opinions and sanity checks are greatly appreciated.

tw
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Opinions requested 50-100-450 barrel length for hunting

Post by Griff »

Walker wrote:black powder frame basket case
Your opinions and sanity checks are greatly appreciated.
tw
That part would stop me from doin' anything with it. if you're going to keep to BP loads, go for it. I like the heft and balance of the 26" octagon barrels. My Browning '86 in .45-70 is so equipped... hate to think of the bruises I'd get shooting it if it were ANY lighter!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

20" would make it quite handy if you stick with smokeless.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Griff wrote: That part would stop me from doin' anything with it. if you're going to keep to BP loads, go for it.
Thanks Griff, I was planning to use 5744 and not exceed the original BP levels. That should be more than enough for hogs, black bear, and any mule deer inside of 100-150 yards. With that frame (made in 1888) and a new barrel, would that take care of any pressure questions at that level?

tman,
Yeah, I'd originally thought that a 20 inch full octagon would be nice. Still thinking about it and if I could see the front sight well enough.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

forgot to photo... it's this one

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Walker, if that's a basket case what's a good one look like?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

J Miller wrote:Walker, if that's a basket case what's a good one look like?

Joe
I'm with Joe on this one! That is one fine looking rifle - on the outside anyway. What does the bore look like?

My 40-82 is an 1887 rifle. When I first shot it, the bore was dark, pitted, and I didn't think it would ever clean up. After four years shooting it, the bore is still dark, but it looks a ton better than it did, and it is very accurate. I'd give the old girl a serious try before you tear apart a fine old rifle. If you keep smokeless loads to BP levels, it should give you a lot of fun times. If you are really concerned about it, buy a bore scope on flea bay for <$20 and look down the pipe.

Nice rifle!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As far as barrel length, if you do change it out, I like the 20" barrel length on my 45-90. Its really handy, and a lot lighter than the 26" barrel.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When I bought my old (1916) 86/45-90, I thought it would need to be re-barreled but a good cleaning, some shooting and lots of JB bore cleaner and it is just fine with gas checked bullets. It's 26 inch full octagon/full magazine and I really like it. Killed a couple of whitetails with it last year. But----bought a Browning 86 in 45-70 with the barrel cut to 18 1/2 inches with 4 round magazine, the stock cut and recoil pad installed, has a receiver sight on it and it will no doubt see some woods time this fall.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

geobru wrote: What does the bore look like?
I'll need to get a bore scope, but when I first picked the receiver and barrel up, they had been sitting for over 30 years in the estate of an old gunsmith. The barrel looked like it had something brown growing inside; probably just the accumulation of dust and rust from being in the rafters of the shop. One pass with a brush and it was almost as shiny as new. This barrel is right at 21 3/4".

OK, thanks for the advice guys. This one will stay as is. Griff you're right, if I "need" a 50-110 it should be stronger steel.

Take care,

Terry
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Personally I would stick with the 45-90.

The 50 EX (50-100) actions were all hand modified by Winchester to properly feed that round. Having done several, and having the opportunity to disassemble a few originals, I’ve come to the conclusion that every 1886 50 cal conversion is different.

The 45-90 WCF is fully capable of taking all game that you mentioned, plus you can also fire the 45-70 ctg. That makes practice ammo that much more affordable.

V/R

mike
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Mike, I'll be working on 45-90 loads safe for the old barrel. Should be plenty for anything in Southern California at least.