Fun with a boat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Fun with a boat

Post by getitdone1 »

I now live within 4 miles of one large lake/reservoir and about 21 miles from another. This got me to thinking about buying a boat for some fun on the water. More "boat fun" than fishing.

Now I'm wondering about what kind of boat. Good exercise could be a part of my decision and that would require a regular boat with oars or a canoe. If I go with a boat with a motor--limited in size on these lakes--I'd lose the exercise but realize another type of fun.

I'm sure many of you have had one or more boats and wondering what you like and why? The canoe might be my first choice since it would give me exercise plus I believe It would allow me to move faster over the water. I know it's less stable and more apt to capsize. A small canoe would also be easier to transport. This thought also makes me wonder about a kayak (sp?) Be nice to be able to throw the boat into the bed of my pickup and go.

I've never been much of a fisherman but it's possible if the fish are big enough and plentiful enough that could change.

Don
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fun with a boat

Post by jeepnik »

The old joke "A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into" is somewhat true. Smaller, lake sized boats aren't near as bad as larger/ocean boats. The salt water is a pain in the butt.

That said, if you want to row, any number of say 14' to 18' aluminum boats are pretty light and easy to row, just limit the weight you put in it. The trailers are pretty light as well. And, if you desire, you can easily put a small outboard on them. But, they do need a CF number (registration) and that fee goes to the state.

As to canoes, I don't have much experience so I'll leave that to others.

Now kayaks I do have some experience with. I fish from one on lakes or fairly close inshore on the ocean. They are easy to paddle, once you learn how (and they do take some learning to master a few of the techniques), but they scoot pretty good. You can tailor the length, width and capacity for your desired use. Oh, and as to the learning part, find someone to teach you, don't just plow ahead like I did. I learned, but I also learned some bad things that took unlearning once someone told me how it should be done.

Frankly, as much as I like my kayak, I'd really suggest a small 14' aluminum boat to start. Fairly inexpensive, easy to operate (row or steer when motoring), yet large enough for a companion, and a good sized for solo fishing. Without the motor attached, they are pretty easy for one person to handle, and depending on the length of your pickup, you can install a rack and remove the trailer all together. Though 12' boats are easier to rack carry, they just always seemed a bit too small, especially if you take a guest along.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've had a motor boat since I was 7 yrs old and never lived off the water until moving to TX. I do live w/i a few miles of a large reservoir and w/I an hour of 6 big lakes. For a tiller powered do-it-all I like a 14-16 ft flat bottom or modified v Jon boat that is 48" wide or more w a 20" transom. They are very stable and will carry a load. We had a 14x48 with Papabear, his big dog, me and my little dog plus guns, decoys and gear out in the rough salt bay in winter. Probably close to 800 pounds and with a 15hp we could get over 10 mph. It was vary sturdy and safe. If you got in low water, one or two people could push or pull it. Trailering was easy as it was a lightweight deal. Next for Utility I like a 17-22 ft center console w extra power. Depending on design some of these draft 14" of water! I'd want at least a 70 up in a light 17 ft and a 150 on a 20 something of greater weight. That gives you the speed and power to get out of the way of trouble or pull someone. You could carry 8 people in the larger models but easily 4 in smaller ones. All composite will make it low maintenance and long life and foam filled will make it unsinkable. For manual power, electric power or a 10hp and under the old Ghenoes are great. They are very stable, light and low draft. 2 or 3 people w gear is possible. You can row or pole it or paddle it. Trailer, pickup bed or carton with help and the right car and accessories. Best of luck with this venture!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For my meager needs a regular canoe has been most fun and practical. Only problem is in high winds on very open water they can be a pain to maneuver, but maybe any boat would without a motor.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

My experience Don is limited to Canoe and Kayak, in rivers and streams...I've never owned a motor boat. Yet.

If the reservoirs near you are regularly subject to windy conditions most of the year, you'll prefer a motor boat. If not...Canoe or Kayak will serve you well.

There are two basic kinds of Canoe or Kayak; faster and slower. The faster, which travel and glide farther with each paddle stroke...are tipsy and less stable when motionless in the water. The slower, which travel and glide less with each stroke...are more stable when motionless.

The stable craft are obviously what one would desire for fishing. My kayak is the more stable variety, and is 14 feet in length. Mine was purchased with the notion of river camping trips, and it excels at that.

The appeal of kayaks are similar to that of motorcycles in a way.....when riding with friends, you are all going the same direction; yet each pilots their own machine. When canoeing, team work is the rule.

The picture below was snapped on a November day in Nebraska that reached nearly 80 degrees. The Kayaks were quick to load and enjoy on short notice.

The canoe with its greater volume is ideal for really long trips and camping, where transporting a lot of gear is desired.

http://www.paddling.net is a great resource for canoe and kayak reviews.

Good luck with whatever you choose...and send us pictures of your adventures! :wink:
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

There are no perfect boats. You need a passel of them.

Owen
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I recently picked up a 12' semi v john boat. Right now I am pushing it with a 50 lbs thrust trolling motor. I have had it out on a pretty large lake that I live next too, even on a few days when there were some pretty good whitecaps. I have been running a trotline with it and ran it for about a week. In that short week, me, my friend and my daughter all limited out on blue cats with a few channels in there to boot. I also caught a few drum we used for bait, a couple gar, and 2 drum that would go at least 25lbs. Small boats are definately fun to enjoy on the lake. However, IMO, your best to keep it to a 14' minimum with 16 being even better.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Check out a Gheenoe; a friend of mine had one and loved it. It's a boat shaped like canoe; it's heavier than a canoe but a lot more stable. You can row it, pole it, mount an electric and/or gas motor. Here's the website; check it out.

http://www.gheenoe.net/

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Didn't see this style mentioned yet .

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/
Phil
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Why don't you take a few trips to a marina that rents them that you are considering and l'm thinking you will be able to draw a definitive decision rather soon . ATB
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

don't know much about boats, but i have paddled a canoe a few miles.
if you are looking that direction, read this. pay close attention to bottom
shape and stability.

http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/trave ... 55570.html
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Town makes a square ended canoe that looks great for fishing. Had I not got a drift boat, that is what I would have bought. A tiny motor of some sort, prolly electric, would be perfect.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/hunt ... ss150.html
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

A boat I would strongly consider is the KC12.
It's a sit on top ABS kayak, made to sit up high, and made to stand in.
It's lightweight, easy to single-hand, efficient to paddle, easy to handle, and has 450-lb. capacity.
Good for both stillwater and rivers
http://www.kckayaks.com/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

for usability, portability, stability.....and just plain fun the porta-bote is really nice
picked up the large one [14' ] last year, used, like new with a 9.9 motor......we use it in the lake behind our cabin, and it is easy to store for winter. very stable. even a 4 hp motor moves it right along.

http://www.porta-bote.com/index.php
cable
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

hightime wrote:There are no perfect boats. You need a passel of them.

Owen
Bingo!

Short of that though I can give you some insight. How big are your lakes? 1000 acres and under canoes are great, 10,000 acre or larger reservoirs they suck. They, especially if you're paddling a tandem canoe while solo, catch a lot of wind and drift around a lot. Tandem canoes are a pain to fish out of if you are by yourself. Canoe fishing is best done with 2 people, one controlling the canoe, the other fishing, trade off often. When done that way canoes make great fishing boats.

Row boats suck all the time.

10, 15 or 20 HP flat bottoms and semi-V's are great for fishing, they suck for playing and are about as entertaining as watching paint dry. Do yourself a favor and if you go the power boat route go with something big enough to tool around the lake and cool off when the fish aren't biting. The old fiberglass, open bow tri hulls with 50-75 HP motors are a cheap option and make decent fishing boats.

Kayaks paddle better solo than most canoes, catch less wind and are easier to fish out of with the right set up. But seating options are limited and after a couple hours my tail really hurts. Make sure to do extensive testing before you buy and don't get the smallest cheapest thing you find. 14' is a great size.

Pirgues...... I've made, paddled and river tripped 2 of them and prefer them 10 fold over kayaks. Open cockpit makes loading gear and such a breeze and they catch less wind than canoes. Something fun about paddling a boat you make yourself. Alas I had to give up on them too, same reason I now have problems with kayaks (didn't use to have problems with either).

If you're water isn't too big and you are paddling solo a good 14-16' solo canoe is a great choice. They aren't as high sided as a tandem canoe so they catch less wind and have the seat in the middle where it belongs. I prefer one with a high enough seat so I can switch back and forth between kneeling and sitting as my tail allows. They are easy on maintenance (i.e. the pocket book) compared to power boats and easier to load gear in than a kayak. If more people paddled them you'd see a lot less kayaks and more folk paddling canoes. But most folk think of a canoe being that big noisy aluminum tandem they paddled back in camp and don't even think to look at the solo boats.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

If you are talking about Diamond Valley Lake check the regs for boats as far as kayaks and small boats.They are finicky about what goes in the lake!I think they allow the
sit in type kayaks only.The type you sit on top are banned there and at Lake Skinner also.Lake Hemet does'nt allow small craft at all.Lake Perris allows more especialy float tubes.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Grew up on the water, sail, powered, and rowed boats all the time. The most consistant enjoyment I have had is a canoe and now a kayak. A kayak is easy to learn. Do not let an "expert" discourage you. Seems there is a lot of snobbery involved in kayaking. There are tricks to it, especially entering and exiting.

I get up some times and have my coffee in the middle of the lake that is about 10 minutes away.

Depending on your size, look at the operator opening. Get one that is easy to get into. Mine is a Perception because the opening is big enough for my water buffalo like build. I would recommend a sit in type because the center of gravity is lower and more stable.

Enjoy, for me you can't beat a couple of hours on the water, headphones with some classical music and cool breeze.

Don
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

m.wun wrote:If you are talking about Diamond Valley Lake check the regs for boats as far as kayaks and small boats.They are finicky about what goes in the lake!I think they allow the
sit in type kayaks only.The type you sit on top are banned there and at Lake Skinner also.Lake Hemet does'nt allow small craft at all.Lake Perris allows more especialy float tubes.
m.wun,

They rent boats at Lake Hemet and I've been there and seen boats on that lake. Not sure if they allow one's own boat on that lake.
One thing I like a lot about Lake Hemet is it being in Garner Valley. Do like that area. Also some great history about that lake.

Don
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Yes they do,I meant canoes,kayaks and float tubes.For the boats I think they have a minimum width.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

'Spensive :shock: One of those kevlar Guide Boats would be a nice ride on a lake.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

1894 wrote:Didn't see this style mentioned yet .

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/
I must have scrolled right past your post Phil! Sorry... :oops:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am currently gathering the supplies to build a 14' sailing dory. Have you thought of a roll your own? Lots of plans out there that aren't to difficult.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JReed wrote:I am currently gathering the supplies to build a 14' sailing dory. Have you thought of a roll your own? Lots of plans out there that aren't to difficult.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My experience is with canoes mostly. You could pick up a cheap one for your needs. Go look at a Grumman aluminum hull shape or big royalex wilderness tripper, stable but slow, flat bottom carried into the ends and wide, workhorse on river or lake, handful solo and handles best with a real load.

A modern cruiser, flat or gently rockered from stem to stern on both the gunnel line and keel with fine pointy ends and a rounder bottom, fast and handles wind and tracks on rails, not so handy on a tight river. Something like this sounds like a good fit for you with maybe an added rowing option.

http://bearmountainboats.com/plans/cano ... ct=8254799

I own a 16' Prospector I built, deep to handle a load, rockered to turn with a single stroke, and a Canadian Canoe icon, and on a solo wilderness trip loaded heavy nothing compares, light on the local windy reservoir it sucks with a seasoned paddler.

http://bearmountainboats.com/plans/cano ... ct=8201318

I tried a row boat and for me looking backward plain sucked. The exercise was incredible with a sliding seat and they sure can scoot. Simple to convert a canoe to a row boat by building or buying a seat and some gear.

I built a skin on frame large kayak, google Folbot, wide beam and open cockpit not for eskimo rolls (it would be a "whiteman falls out of kayak half roll" for me) it was a joy for a low skill paddler and for fishing. Generally sea kayaks are fantastic solo boats for dedicated paddlers and most can carry a lunch bag unless you beach and open a hatch or dig under the hull. If there are guns, backpacks, fishing, dogs and kids in your plan consider this.

A fantastic compromise and a very American heritage is a double paddle canoe. You sit on the bottom center, perfect weight distribution for small solo boat and paddle it like a kayak. Generally a smaller boat and not to high to the gunnel or stems and around 28-32 inch beam. Some are decked and some are not. However any canoe can handled like this if wanted. It was a very popular form in the US and Europe early last century and is making a roaring comeback.

http://bearmountainboats.com/plans/cano ... ct=8036000
http://www.laughingloon.com/wee.robbie.html

The Bear Mountain Boats site linked above has great advice on understanding small boat design for canoes and kayaks so wander around there a bit and you will understand the boats you look at better. A small boat that meets your needs becomes like a favorite rifle. A small boat that doesn't work is something you will grow to despise.

Some observations. Solo canoes that are light and not too wide 32" are great solo and load on a simple roof rack easy 14-15 foot is ideal. Solo boats with highly upswept Indian styled ends suck in wind too, the natives paddles them kneeling and sharply heeled over. If it will be tandem paddled occasionally 16 foot and 36" wide is good, again light is best unless you are going to bash rocks. This is the type you will find everywhere used and cheap from Coleman tupperware to Old Town cedar canvas beauties. I like rigid hulls. The tupperware boats flex and warp under way often. A rigid hull is slippery in the water and consistent in handling.

Best advice, keep the big hole up. At first you can expect to get wet so wear your pfd, please every time. After a short time you will be amazed how you and the boat become one unless you pick a barge. Don't put a motor on a human powered boat, everyone I know who did it never human powered again unless the battery was flat or out of gas.

Canoes have no front or back usually. The narrow seat near an end is for tandem paddling, the seat at the other end is used solo facing the end normally considered the stern with the packs ahead of you. Always paddle a canoe close to level stem to stern. It is a chuckle to most seasoned paddlers to see a guy in a 16 foot canoe perched on the commonly considered rear seat and gingerly paddling in a circle. It becomes an 8 foot canoe with an overhang of 8 feet.

I rigged my canoe with a center seat set low so my boat is level solo for paddling alone. Now I can put one girl up front one girl out back and assist from the center as they learn. The whole family paddles with Mom up front the girls in the center seat and me in the rear. Soon it will be Dad on a cut down lawn chair for ballast and two girls paddling. :D
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Hobie wrote:
I must have scrolled right past your post Phil! Sorry... :oops:[/quote]

No worries Hobie , Looks like a fun boat , worth the double tap :wink:
I wonder if it could be adaptable to rowing forward so you can see where you are going , at least for some easy poking around times .
Phil