Muzzleloading carbine question(s)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Muzzleloading carbine question(s)

Post by awp101 »

barbarossa's thread about the carbine he is looking at (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42404) and Nath's short Enfield has gotten me to thinking. Dangerous, I know... :lol:

If a person were to start looking for such a thing, what models would one look for? Let's say percussion from the Civil War era to the 1890s, US or European. Quality replicas are fine since one would want to shoot it rather than collect/look at it. :wink:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Muzzleloading carbine question(s)

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Pedersoli makes a really neat CSA Cook's Brothers Carbine. Nice finish and Cabela's has them for $200 off right now....still $799.....go to the Pedersoli website and you can check out several other carbines from the War of Northern Agression Period.... :wink:

rick
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One of the best you can get is a .58 cal Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter

http://www.gunlistings.org/michigan-gun ... al_carbine

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:One of the best you can get is a .58 cal Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter

I always liked these !

Now I'm more inclined to go with a Sharps or Maynard carbine or short rifle . Also Navy I believe it was had a pretty nice looking copy of a Civil War Gallagher carbine as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Search for "musketoons"
Slow is just slow.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote:One of the best you can get is a .58 cal Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter

One of these showed up just after I got my musketoon made by Zoli, I was a little sad about it as I had a Zoli Zouave that in smooth shot 3" groups to 60yds but was way to heavy to carry all day of which I likes to do etc.

What ever you do bed the barrel in the stock snug and make sure the nipple barrel ain't touching the lock. Mine is bedded on layers of greased canvass. They shoot tighter then.

My smooth bored musketoon is good with 1oz of shot to beyond 25yds, don't sound to good but it is when shot from a blind or sneaking about looking for sittin' stuff. From one blind of mine I tip 1/2oz of very rough home made shot and similar amount of powder, maybe a card stack for a wad or just a ball of news paper and wait for a pheasant to pass. Ten yard usually. :)

The longer barreled smoothbores I have owned of .58 were effective beyond 30yds with a good ounce.

I never tried but some can wing shoot with them!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would get one of the earlier Parker Hale Enfield Musketoons.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The 26 inch barreled Thompson/Center "New Englander" and "Big Bore" would be considered carbines by muzzle loader standards.

The "White Mountain Carbine" has fast twist rifling. The rubber but pad is the only thing that makes it non-traditional.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a New Englander, in .54 it is a good gun. TOO heavy for me when in .50 cal. Could also be had with 12 ga. barrel.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

765x53 wrote:The "White Mountain Carbine" has fast twist rifling. The rubber but pad is the only thing that makes it non-traditional.
I had one of the White Mountain Carbines when I first tried ML hunting . Was a nice little gun and I sold it to a friend that still has it !

He told me about a month ago he thinks he'll get me to sell it now since he no longer use's it . Might have to get it back for myself !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One of my "someday" projects is to build a 20", 20ga underhammer trade gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cas wrote:Search for "musketoons"
Musketoon, that was the term I couldn't think of! Thanks! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the ideas on what models to look for. What's the story on the New Englander? It could be had with a 12ga barrel? Is that option specific to the .50 or .54?

The Enfield (1856?) still has my vote... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s one it s an Indian made copy of an Enfield carbine it s smoothbore and 65 cal or 16ga with a 26inch barrel it also has a swivel ramrod they go for about $400

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I was just at the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg and they have two Confederate Carbines that look like a Cook Carbine, but the barrels are even shorter....I'm thinking 13 to 14". Need to get pictures next time I go there as they were so interesting. Alot of Wheeler's and Forrest's men would have been toting those or those like them, in addition to short double shotguns and revolvers. I like the look of the short carbines, but do wonder what the ballistics would be on that short of a black powder burn. For short range work, probably fine enough.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

barbarossa wrote:Here s one it s an Indian made copy of an Enfield carbine it s smoothbore and 65 cal or 16ga with a 26inch barrel it also has a swivel ramrod they go for about $400

Where did you find that little cutie? :mrgreen: Were the originals smoothbored or rifled?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Loyalist arms in Canada sells them.The originals were smoothbore.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I deer hunted with a White Mountain carbine in .50 for 15 years.Killed a heap of deer with it.Sold it about six years ago and bought a New Englander in .54.To my estimation, Thompson-Center makes the best muzzle loader in the US.
I REALLY like Nath's Enfield.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Both the .54 and .50 TC New Englanders have 1:48 twist. The shotgun barrel fits either and one can fit the .50 on the .54 stock or the other way 'round if you want. Mine is accurate with RB over 50 gr. and the heaviest conicals over 100 gr. of powder, black or Pyrodex. I paid $157 delivered to get mine from Mid-South but that was almost 20 years ago!
Sincerely,

Hobie

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have a TC new englander in 12ga and also a 50cal kit that I bought a while ago still new in the box unassembled.I
was thinking on converting the 12ga to flint .Would make a handy little flint fowler but I may just leave it alone and buy a Pedersoli Mortimer instead.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s another carbine made by the same maker as the one I just bought aa 1847 carbine in 69 cal .Has an aged patina.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a New Englander in .54 and love it, but don't consider it a carbine really.

I have a '63 Springfield repro but always wanted a short musketoon for hunting.
Slow is just slow.