Mauser action bedding question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Mauser action bedding question

Post by stew71 »

Does anyone happen to know if sporterized Mausers, in general, "prefer" to be fully bedded, including the barrel channel, or do they perform better with a free-floated barrel?

I have a rifle where the previous owner completely bedded the stock, including the barrel channel. I've gotten the thing on paper, but as soon as the barrel heats up after 2 or 3 rounds, it starts tossing them all over the place. I'm wondering if that bedded channel is causing me some grief.

Yeah, I know. A hunting rifle only really needs the 1st couple of rounds on target to do the job, but I'd still like to see if I can get this thing to tighten up a bit.

Right now, I'm swapping out the atrocious military trigger with a Timney Sportsman. It's also getting a Leupold 6x scope that is a proven performer with mounts that are tight, torqued, and aligned.

And yes, I'm having fun figuring this out. :)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mauser action bedding question

Post by Pete44ru »

[I'm wondering if that bedded channel is causing me some grief. ]

Yep.

I once bought into a pristine commercial rifle based on a Mauser 98, that was F/S @ 50% of it's used value.
When I got in to my club's range, I found out why.
It was a .30-06, and wouldn't keep ANY 150gr, 165gr, or 180gr factory load under 10" @ 100yds. :o

When I got it home & took it apart, some numbnutz had tightly glas-bedded EVERYTHING, and the pore thing had no room to vibrate.

Since I know my Mausers (among a few other types), I scraped out the glas bedding, only leaving it bedded behind the recoil lug, under the front ring's action flat( behind the lug), under the rear tang (scraping out 1/16" clearance around the rear edge of the metal), under the chamber/barrel reinforce (about 2-1/2" FWD of the recoil lug), and a small pad in the forward end of the barrel channel, about 1/2" behind the forend tip joint.
I made sure there was some "up" pressure at the forend tip bedding (shim).

At my next range session, the rifle rewarded my attentions by giving me consistant 3/4" 5-shot groups # 100yds with all 3 bullet weights, and even kept the POI's for the various weights very close to each other.

I used kid's Silly Putty, rolled into thin/short spaghetti-like strips, under the various areas, to indicate when I had at least three cat whisker's clearance wherever, except the forend tip - kinda like using plastic shims to measure an auto's main bearing clearance.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a long term Mauser project that gives me pause to be interested in this subject as well.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, full-length glas-bedding a boltgun has it's place - to line the bbl channel, especially handy for thin, Mannlicher-type full-length stocks.
The trick is to tape the barrel first, so there's vibration clearance everywhere along the bbl except where you want to stop it (like at/near the forend tip).
The tape is removed after the bedding cures, to establish some clearance.

The mistake I see most often, is that some folks just slather in the glas-bedding compound & drop in the waxed (release agent) action/bbl/etc, without previously applying a layer or two of tape in certain areas to both prevent binding & allow vibes.

IMHO, The areas that need to have some clearances, when bedding a Mauser action are:

1) Front, bottom, and both R&L sides of the recoil lug.

2) Rear of the upper/rear tang.

3) ALL around the magazine (well).

4) The entire bbl, except the entire 2-1/2" at the rear & a pressure pad near the forend tip.

5) Bolt handle root.

The best results occur when bedding is done with the bolt & trigger mechanism removed from the bbl'd action. (I know, I know - but there's always one, in the crowd :mrgreen: )

A heavy/target bbl usually shoots better w/o the pressure pad/point @ the forend tip - IOW, floated.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've taken two military Mausers and turned them into sporters. While not a whole lot of experience was gleaned from those two projects, my results would say that Pete is right on the money. I have a 95 Mauser that is a very light barrel 257 Roberts, and a 98 Mauser that is a heavy barrel 22-250. Both are very accurate rifles bedded as Pete described.
NRA Life Member
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Pete nailed it. I have never clearanced the bottom of the recoil lug, and have had good results, next one I do I will clearance it too.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Just for a little flavor.... My bone stock 96 Swede Mauser has printed one inch & sub one inch groups often enough that I know it aint no fluke...Two barrel bands & fully bedded in +100 y/o wood...POI changes have on occasion shifted from one year to the next as far as zero goes though...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Excellent information, Pete. Many thanks!!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.