Enjoying my Rossi Rio Grande 45.70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Enjoying my Rossi Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Folks, been a while since I last posted so I thought I'd show off my new Rossi Rio Grande 45.70. I picked it up 2 weeks ago and as I took it out of the Box I was immediately taken with how closely it resembles a Marlin 336. I was impressed with the deep Blueing and the smooth Satin Finish on the Brazilian Swampwood Stock. The timber while not exactly figured has very straight visible grain that would come up well with an Oil Finish. It is the same Red Coloured Timber my Rossi M92 is Stocked in. That Rifle is 5 years old now and the timber has darkened to a lovely dark hue. I'm sure the timber on the Rio Grande will darken in time also
P8020642.JPG
The action was quite smooth from the first time I cycled it and after a good clean and wipe over with some Lanotec Liquid Lanolin felt smoother. I have only put about 40 rounds through it and the Action is getting smoother with every Shot. I really like the Big Lever Loop, sure it slows things down some but my hand fits inside it perfectly and under recoil the Lever does not Bang up my Fingers as the Levers of my M92 and Marlin 1894 does.

I originally intended to Scope the Rio Grande with my Leupold VX3 1 - 4 X 20 but the first time I brought the Rifle to Shoulder, my eye lined up perfectly with the Iron Sights, the Rifle Pointed and Balanced perfectly - it screamed Iron Sights to me. I removed the Factory Scope Mount, Rossi used plenty of Locktite on the 6/48" Screws. I note Marlin use 8/48"

It's not all good though - The Factory Front Sight has a large Brass bead, the Rear a nice semi Buckhorn. They have a good Sight picture BUT the First load I put through the Rifle 45 gr Reloader 7 300 gr JHP [about 1900 fps ] shot 7" high at 50 yards. Once I worked out where to aim the Rifle shot nice tight round groups.

I took the Rio Grande home and knocked out the Sights. Rossi use a .387" Dovetail, a pain as industry standard is .375". I worked out I need a .062 Taller front Sight, no local Gunshops stock a suitable replacement so I need to import one. Rather than wait a couple of weeks or longer I have started to make one. I cut the Blade off the original Front Sight that was on my M92 Rossi and have cut a Slot in which I'll Solder a section of a Penny that I can File down to suit. I also fitted a 20thou lower rear Buckhorn I had in my Tackle Box.

2nd load - 50 gr ADI AR2208 [Varget] shot 5'. I removed the Elevation adjustment and it settled to 2" high at 50 yards. This is all well and good but I want Elevation adjustment. The 2 loads I've played with are Trapdoor Loads and still the Sights shoot High - Mr Rossi not impressed. Hopefully the Sight I'm making will solve these issue's

A Lee 405 gr Hollow Base Mould arrived in the mail today so I Cast up some Projectiles. They will sit on top of yet another Trapdoor Springfield Load - 45 grains ADI AR2206H [H4895]. I'll play with this Mould, it will keep me shooting but I am looking for a Gas Checked Mould in the 400 gr Weight Range so I can load this Rifle and Cartridge to it's potential.

Here'a a couple of Pics of a Stock Cover with Cartridge Loops and a Sling I made for it last week
P8080680.JPG
I tooled a Warthog Headstudy onto the Stock Cover to add a little interest
P8080678.JPG
These Rio Grande 45.70's have a SAAMI spec Chamber. The 45.70 Marlins have a more generous Chamber and will Chamber longer heavier Projectiles but non the less I messed about with what projectiles and overall length the Rio Grande would Chamber. It will chamber a 500 gr Westcast rnfp with an OAL of 2.540". I also seated the same projectile out and it feed from the Magazine and Chambered flawlessly at 2.575".

Other than the Sights, I really like this Rifle. Soon as I can I'll have it sorted and it will prove my most Capable Hunting Arm for anything that walks this Continent

regards Jacko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Enjoying my Rossi Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice, sounds like a dandy. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sound like it is coming along and you have a good solid plan for it. Best of Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good report Jacko! Thanks for it.
Glad you like it and hope you enjoy it. Consider a tang sight adjusted to give a 200 yard zero to compliment the open sights. Really a combo that works for me. You know, set the opens for 100 then flip up the tang if the range is farther out.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Try it at 75 & 100 yards and see what it does... fifty seems to close.
Have fun with your new toy, looks good from here.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice one Jacko :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions Fella's. The local Range where I shoot is brand new and until the authorities give building approval we are limited to 50 yards, the closest Range with Targets out to 500 metre's is way across the other side of the city and includes a Toll Road. Plan is to have a 100 yard zero when I arrive at my final load.

I just do not know if a Tang Sight will fit the Rio Grande, that Bolt comes back a long way. I guess a Marlin 336 Model may be a good place to start. I have a Tang on my M92 and fitted a folding Rearl Sight in combination with it - it's a great set up. I did try the Williams Foolproof off my 1894 Marlin which also fits the 336, it fitted - sort of - The top of the Rio Grande's Receiver has a different profile to the Marlins and the only way the Sight's Mounting Plate fits flush is when I wound the main body up and used fully 1/4 of the Foolproofs Elevation adjustment. I nearly made a Brass Adapter to shim it but given the Front Sight issue's I already had I decided against fitting it.

Have any of you Folks fitted a Tang to a Rio Grande ??
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool report. I like the way you fixed the sight problem.

The Rossi dovetail widths are annoying...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Good report. I thought Rossi had finally rectified the dovetail issue?? Yes, an irritant. I'm going strictly off my 92 experience, but all my Interarms (80s-90s) era were the odd .390-ish, while I believe my later EMF was the standard "Win" .375. (Never tested as, thanks to NKJ's influence, the facory sights were pretty decent bucks to begin with). An LSI I had was .375 as well--a regular-spec Marbles full buckhorn went right in. Anybody ever actually hear from Rossi on the reason (for ever having had--and apparently returning to--the odd duck measurement? A Euro/metric specification or something? I recall M&M stating that a Euro-spec issue was to blame for those overbore .44 Mags. NKJ addressed this whole dovetail situation awhile back but I forget what if any bottom line.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice report.. Rifle looks great.. That Warthog tooling sure tells me one thing you've got in mind for your new rifle and is well done!.. What's the fur you've got the rifle setting on?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Nice report, I'd love to hear of a Water Buffalo or Sambar hunt with this rifle in the future. Have you considered a peep site?
I have my eye on a stainless steel version of this rifle.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Folks you could say today was Character Building!!! I stuffed up the Front Sight I was making -TWICE :), I'll have a 3rd crack at it soon :roll: While reloading 40gr AR2206H [ H4895] under a Lee 405 gr Cast Proj I knocked the freshly opened Bottle off the Table, spilled the bloody lot! Sawdust on the floor contaminated the Powder :evil: ADI makes powder for Hodgdon and exports it to the USA yet we gotta pay $45 a 1# Bottle :evil: And lastly I decided to file down the Slot of the lower Rear Buckhorn I fitted as it was still a little High - YEP - Boogered that too :lol: :lol:

I still have the original Buckhorn and until I get that new Front Sight made or just order another from "Skinner Sights" I have fitted an old Japanese Tasco 2 -7 x 32 Scope I had lying around. Will soon find out if it can take the recoil, they have a Lifetime warrantee so considering my Day today, I may need that Warrantee tomorrow :mrgreen:

Ben the Rio Grande is resting a a Feral Billy Goat Skin. Can't lay claim to shooting this Fella, a local Tannery had them going real cheap so I bought it. Still Stinks of Billy Goat a bit as well, keeps the Wife and Kids out of the Garage !!

Ji, I am considering one of the Skinner Peeps for it but the only thing I do not like about the Skinner is they are not easily Field adjustable for Elevation due to that tiny Lock Screw. I would really like to fit a Marbles Tang Sight but as I said earlier I have doubts one would fit as the Bolt comes back a long way. Hopefully I'll receive some advice or see a thred soon where someone has fitted a Tang Sight to a Rio Grande.

Sadly there is no Sambar or Asiatic Buffalo within 2000 Kilometres of where I live so I'm unlikely to Hunt them but I can Dream !! I have 2 Hunts coming up in the next 3 Weeks chasing Feral Pig's, Goats and with Luck, Fallow Deer. I'll report back if I make Meat with this Rifle.

regards Jacko
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Jacko wrote:
Ji, I am considering one of the Skinner Peeps for it but the only thing I do not like about the Skinner is they are not easily Field adjustable for Elevation due to that tiny Lock Screw. I would really like to fit a Marbles Tang Sight but as I said earlier I have doubts one would fit as the Bolt comes back a long way. Hopefully I'll receive some advice or see a thred soon where someone has fitted a Tang Sight to a Rio Grande.

Sadly there is no Sambar or Asiatic Buffalo within 2000 Kilometres of where I live so I'm unlikely to Hunt them but I can Dream !! I have 2 Hunts coming up in the next 3 Weeks chasing Feral Pig's, Goats and with Luck, Fallow Deer. I'll report back if I make Meat with this Rifle.

regards Jacko
Sometimes I forget how big Oz is just remembering that Queensland is right "next door" to Northern Territory a hop, skip & a jump away from prime Buff and Sambar hunting. :roll: 2000 kilometers not an overnighter trip.
Anxious to hear how the pigs respond to lead suppositories, keep us posted. :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Yes Ji sure is a big Sky. My favourite Hunting Property is only 840 K one way.

Did some load development over the weekend - Saturday was not good, severe Leading - Lube was Lee Liquid Alox. Disapointing as LLA and Wheel Weight Alloy works with my 35.303 at 1885fps. Load was 40 gr ADI AR2206H [ 4895H ] -Lee 405 gr HB @ approx 1420fps. Sundays Lube was was Homemix Lee Liquid Alox, Parrafin Wax and STP Oil Treatment.

Rest was unstable basically a wobbly card table resting on my elbows in the middle of a Cow Paddock.

Here's a 10 shot group. As the wind blew, the Barrel Heated and the barrel leaded very slightly the impact shifted low and right. The first 5 shots cut through the base of the V.
P8170699.JPG
This is an encouraging load other than the very slight leading. I have changed Lube again to White Label Carnuba Red 2700 blended with Bee's Wax and ATF. If I still get leading I'll add some Tin to my Alloy, if all is good I'll up the charge until accuracy goes South.

The 2 shots touching off to the Right 45 gr AR2206H 350gr rnfp Westcast commercial hardcasts. It was going to be a 5 shot Group but things aren't all great with my Rio Grande - I have had a series of Cartridges Fail to Fire due to Light Hammer Strikes on previous Range visits. I did not mention it earlier as I was trying all I could component wise to check it was a mechanical issue. I have tried Winchester, CCI and Remington Primers. I will buy some Federal as well as they use the softest guilding of the 4 big brands, perhaps they will help.

In the mean while I've had the Bloke at the Gunshop tell me my Warrantee is Void because I am shooting Handloads. He did give me an option of buying a box of Factory Ammo and if it failed to Fire the Warrantee would likely be honoured. This is Rossi Policy not his. It sticks in my Craw to waste $45 on a box of 20 Cartridges, some of which will not fire when I can buy a Packet of 50 new Cases for $50.

Boils down to me buying the Factory Ammo and then showing them the light Hammer Strikes so they will honour the Warrantee or Shimming the Hammer Spring myself which will Void the Warrantee anyway. I have not made up my mind yet, will see if the Federal Primers help. Principal have always cost me money - at least I sleep better

regards Jacko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Looks like you have a shooter there, Jacko. Nice looking group.

When I have a Failure to Fire with a Marlin it is always one of my cast loads and it is always because the bullet is pressing into the lands slightly or some little interference kept me from closing the lever all the way unless I squeeze extra hard. Those danged Marlins gotta' be 100% closed or they won't fire, and so I am thinking the Rio Grande is the same. But since you are getting dents on the primer when it fails it may not be my lever thing, but thought I'd mention it just in case. That is what I would check first.

And if you had failures with CCI primers I'd bet the Federals won't work any miracles. I did some primer sensitivity testing a while back and the Federals were the easiest to fire, all right; but the CCI's were so close behind there sure wasn't much difference.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the tip earlmck - something I had not considered. I will pay particular attention to closing the Lever toomorrow. The Mother in Law is coming over and I am Bailing out to the Rifle Range.

The nose on those Lee405HB Proj is quite long and I was not sure they would Chamber, let alone Feed through the Magazine so I did some experimenting. If I pay attention to OAL I can seat and crimp them at 2.585 and they will Feed through the Magazine and Chamber Flawlessly. The Metplat is quite small and the Nose quite rounded so even a 2.595 they Chamber with no contact with the Rifling.

regards Jacko
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have a number of 45-70the rifles and a .460 / 425gRanch Dog gas checked bullet with Lee Alox is the ticket. With RL7 or 3031the the accuracy is amazing and zero leading.
Leading is almost always caused by an undersized bullet.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

rbertalotto I have .357 and .44 Ranchdog Moulds. They Shoot accurately and functure flawlessly through my Rifles. Unfortunately his 460 series Range of Moulds will not Chamber in the Rio Grande SAAMI spec Chamber unless I trim the Cases a 1/10" of an Inch or so. Over on the Rossi Rifleman Forum Ranchdog gives a detailed description why, he even has posted Data somewhere over there that I have Cut and Pasted for reference purposes.

I have slugged my Barrel and got .451 Bore and .457 Groove. I have checked and my Lee 405 HB Mould drops at .459 with the Alloy I am using. I am shooting them as Cast. I have been Casting for some Time but still have a lot to learn and am keen to Hear any and all advice, thankyou for yours

I spoke to the company that Imports Rossi Firearms into Australia. They where very helpfull and agreed to repair the Light Hammer Strike Issue under Warrantee. Sadly it is going to take approx 1 Month. I really like this Rifle and am already impatient for it's return. I will have chosen a Gas Checked Bullet Mould buy then and the Aftermarket Sights I am going to fit will not be far away

regards Jacko
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com