to get you thinking about elk hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

to get you thinking about elk hunting

Post by BigSky56 »

A few head of cows at a friends ranch south of my place, salt block is 50 yds from the house. danny
elkapr 007.jpg
1894c

Re: to get you thinking about elk hunting

Post by 1894c »

very cooool... :)
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Salt block must be for friends Angus cows.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

for horses and mules though the elk moose deer and both kind of bears come to it. danny
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Danny! :D And yes, I'm thinking about it now. 6 months will be upon us in a flash. :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I've got roughly 25 cow elk right across the road from my house as I type this. They really tear up the remaining aspens we have on our place, except for inside a couple of half-acre exclosures with 8 foot sheep fence. Inside these exclosures many young aspens are coming up--outside the fence you cannot find any small trees and the remaining larger trees are already dead or dying. We hope to stave off the elimination of these aspens as most stands really represent "clones" from one original "parent plant". Few aspens seem to come from seeds, though some do.

Both elk and drought are thought to be responsible for the SAD (sudden aspen decline) situation. I'm not sure about the latest expert opinions on the role of tree disease in this crash.

This is occurring at 7500 feet elevation in Northern AZ.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I'd love to put a cow elk in the freezer this year.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

BigSky56 wrote:A few head of cows at a friends ranch south of my place, salt block is 50 yds from the house. danny
elkapr 007.jpg
Already thinking about it. How are the elk doing around your place this spring, Danny? Are they rebounding from the wolves? Lots of calves, sparce, none?
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think about it EVERY year, but the wallet thinks of some excuse not to! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kim, these cows are part of the herd thats around me out of a herd of that use to # 35 or 40 we havent seen any of last years calves survive to spring and the herd is down to 20 the wolves just follow the herd around and pick them off. Ive only seen 3 moose calves this spring one orphan calf by my place and twins with their mom that another rancher by me let them homestead his hay bunk. Out of 100 head of cows in 3 different herds Ive only seen a dozen or so calves that made it to spring. Overall the elk and moose are getting hammered the only saving grace is when the wolves get on ranches they get shot, I wouldnt be surprised to see that residents will be drawing for elk tags in 3 to 5 years instead of OTC. MT and ID made a mistake when they broke away from Wyo's stand on wolves, our original wolf plan was the same as Wyo and passed by the legislators in 2003 but modified to please USF&G in 2004. All the apex predators have increased the griz, wolves and cougars a rancher east of me lost 2 foals to a cat last fall. danny
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

southeast of Lincoln county, calling turkeys a wolf came. Friends two Jack Russel pets were killed by a lion. We know what to do and are doing it.