credit cards?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

credit cards?

Post by pokey »

good , bad , ugly?

i'm thinking about changing my account.
anyone have input ? gun friendly ? good customer service, etc.
not b of a , obviously. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: credit cards?

Post by Rusty »

I have mine thru Cabelas. Purchases get you points to spend with them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

NRA has one through First National Bank of Omaha. Somehow NRA gets a little something every time you use it.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I recommend USAA if you ever served in the military, and/or a credit union, to keep your business local. I would suggest forsaking all others.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I use the cabelas card and pay it off every month. I used the point to get 5 guns over the years. Customer service is good.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Avoid using your debit card on the internet unless it's a merchant you trust.
You can reverse credit card charges (paypal is best of all when the merchant accepts it).
But with a debit card, you have no recourse for a bad vendor.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont use them.....credit or debit
only in emergencies...or for car repair or something like that...
and on online purchaces, which I try to stay away from...
I have an NRA credit card....
but with any credit card and with high interest rates....they can shove.....
well, you know what they can do with them....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I use a Cabelas card for business and pay it off every month. The points are nice but they never make it to a total high enough for guns with me. Bullets, scales and other reloading supplies with me.

LK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Every cent possible goes thru the Cabelas card, and it gets paid off every month. On top of the points, I don't have to keep an eye on the checking account every time I go to spend a few bucks. I also pay bills online. Put me in the Electronic Money supporters group. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Look to join a local credit union. They usually have great rates on credit cards.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Cabela's for me. Gonna have to drop into one if I ever get near, they owe me a new rifle. :D
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

We just dropped in at the Reno Cabela's and picked up 3 cases of shotgun shells with just the points we've accrued.

We use it for almost all of our online purchases, fuel, meals, travel, etc and simply pay it off each month.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've never used a credit/debit card in my life. I would not know how to use one. I purposely used this mindset since I was old enough to have money as its a lot easier handing over a piece of plastic than it is to hand over pictures of dead presidents. :D

Not to mention I will not fall into corporate America's trap of being a modern indentured servant as this is what its all about.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I've never used a credit/debit card in my life. I would not know how to use one. I purposely used this mindset since I was old enough to have money as its a lot easier handing over a piece of plastic than it is to hand over pictures of dead presidents. :D

Not to mention I will not fall into corporate America's trap of being a modern indentured servant as this is what its all about.-----------------Sixgun
Ever try one of those new-fangled colored tvs? The cause cancer, ya know. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:I've never used a credit/debit card in my life. I would not know how to use one. I purposely used this mindset since I was old enough to have money as its a lot easier handing over a piece of plastic than it is to hand over pictures of dead presidents. :D

Sixgun(you da man) :lol:

Really they are ok(all long as you pay it off monthly)
Some things(you MUST have a credit card now)example hotel booking/car rental etc.(how bout booking flights?)
They also verify what is open on limit.And if it is over 50% limit used(????????????)
Guess their thinking is if someone ruins stuff on either(they just hit up the card)its in the fine print somewhere on the contract ???

I even heard at Cape May they are instead of charging that $100 per person,think thats what they charge us?(beach use for multiple days over 5)which you get back unless they fine you---They have always had it(must be cash)
So if you take $2000 for trip and you have a family of 5 (have to give $500 hotel holds for beach permits)so better take $2500 (or have a MAC card)or something etc.
They are going to Credit Card only(at least that's what they told SIL at Christmas time.

We do 2 weeks a year at the La Mer there,
I have to say(absolutely stunning place)for being pretty close by.(5 hrs)
Daughter always takes two friends,on us of course (so thats $1K cash I believe ,but if you are a local its like $30 for the season but they don't get it back!(Thats just for the beach patrol) :lol:
Lets not say what eating about every night at the Lobster House costs :shock:

They don't take checks--------so you best have a pillow case full of money :lol: if no card.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have a card from Amazon.com which is very convenient, and gives you points for each purchase.

When you make a purchase from Amazon.com, it gives you 3x the points. And you can get almost anything on Amazon. Then you can get yourself something free.

I used to put business purchases on the card, then pay them off, and get free stuff on Amazon with the points. Kind of fun.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

me thinks i smell an exaggeration,

i use cash locally as much as possible, but as stated, there are
things these days you cannot do without a card, most want credit
not debit. airlines, rental cars, hotel/motel, even gunbroker. com
wants a number [ just for I.D. they say.].

i agree with pay it off before the interest kicks in [@ 30 days].

was just wondering if any one was better than the others.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just to clear it up on the non-believers, I will swear on my parent's graves that I have never used a credit card of any kind in my life. In addition to no credit cards, I do not have a checking account, ATM card or any kind of a card except my drivers license and concealed weapns permit. Fly? couple times a year-cash at the travel agent. bills? ain't got many but I pay the electric, phone and cable at the check cashing store where they take cash. gun supplies? my best bud owns largest retailer on the East Coast--he says my cash is good. rent a car--never did--I drive jeeps which are very dependable, plus I keep an extra Rubicon in the garage--3 jeeps-2 drivers. Buffalo Arms, Midway etc.---postal money order.I can wait an extra 3 days. Vacation? My son lives in Colorado and I stay at his place and when we hunt, we live in a tent. Here in Pa. I have access to hundreds of acres of private land with living quarters at my disposal.

Gunbroker or Guns America--I only occasionally sell on Guns America. I have never bought a gun on the internet. There's too many of them around here. Going to Targetmaster is better than a gunshow. :D

I will not frequent any kind of corporate vacation place such as Disney Land, whatever. When the kids were small we used to but cash worked.

Never use COD or anything that requires a cedit card. I tell the people I'll find someone who takes cash. I always do.

The girls at the bank tell me this country would crash if everyone was like me. Yea, I have a bank account. Thats where I keep 99% of my cash.

I despise the phony and corrupt money system that this country runs on and I will not be a part of it. Once this country got off the gold standard in 1913, corrupt has been the way. Like I said earlier, the credit system in this country is a modern way of THEM keeping US as indentured servants. No one or any entity tells 'ole Sixgun how to run his life. :D ----------------------Sixgun

When I need something I just go buy it. If I don't have enough money, I wait 'till I do.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You are a very rare man!
You are a very good man!
Your word means a lot and I respect you for having the bal## to stick to what you believe.(even if at times it might inconvenience you some.)
Sixgun, no doubt you speak the truth. As to your parents(God Bless them cause they sure raised a fine son) :mrgreen:
You are a better man than me!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I only use plastic for convenience. I do not run a balance on any credit card. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it, card or not. (except real estate)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I use the Cabelas card for most things, pay it off every month, then enjoy the stuff that I get with the points accrued.

My wife uses an airline card - same deal. She and the kids are flying to Hawaii "free" (not free, but you know what I mean) this summer on points accrued.

My suggestion would be to use a card that will give you points/dollars towards something that you actually want or enjoy (to include cash back if that's what you want). Watch out for yearly fees. ALWAYS PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH. Have fun. Die.

I recommend that order of things.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

madman4570 wrote:You are a very rare man!
You are a very good man!
Your word means a lot and I respect you for having the bal## to stick to what you believe.(even if at times it might inconvenience you some.)
Sixgun, no doubt you speak the truth. As to your parents(God Bless them cause they sure raised a fine son) :mrgreen:
You are a better man than me!

Madman,
No, I am not a better man than you or anyone else on God's green Earth. I just have this self discipline that comes from a driving force of never to have anyone or anything hold anything over MY head. Therefore, if you pay cash--its yours. No threats to take it back. You want it?? Molon Labe :D

The Feds control us with our stomachs---corporate America does it with our wallets---if you let 'em :wink:

I am a firm believer that NO ONE has the right to control anyone else, but corporate America and the Feds think otherwise. Those rotten ***'s can kiss where the sun don't shine. M.A. :D -------------------Me

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sixgun is absolutley correct!
However they are good to have in an emergency.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:) It's just another tool, like a good knife. An idiot will cut themselves, and a fella that knows what he's doing will make dang good use of it. For me, that translates into about 300 bucks a year @ Cabelas. :wink: And, I don't owe a penny to anybody.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Forgot to mention, I use an AAA Visa for buying fuel. It gets me 5% back on that, which is kind of significant these days! :)
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Hey Sixgun - just keep that credit card under your tin foil hat and all will be good. :roll:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:Hey Sixgun - just keep that credit card under your tin foil hat and all will be good. :roll:

Ha! Thats a good one! :D You really have to get up early if you want to get ahead of cowgirlkell.

Thats almost as funny as the Gunbroker pic you posted that you said was your gun :D

cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

At least it's not refinished. Log on to Gunbroker and you can see who the buyer is.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have a Cabelas card. Great Customer service. I like the $$ that add up. pay it off every month. if anybody is with the Sportman it is Cabelas.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I love my Cabelas card. Pay it off in full every month, and then enjoy the points and free stuff from Cabelas.
One time, there was a TINY mixup, and something like 5 cents didn't get paid on the monthly bill - which then kicked in interest on the entire month's bill. I called them up, and I'd say within 15 seconds, all the charges were dropped. The Cabelas card has EXCELLENT service.
Plus, with every month's bill, you get a brochure full of overs just for Cabelas Club members.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ndcowboy wrote:I love my Cabelas card. Pay it off in full every month, and then enjoy the points and free stuff from Cabelas.
One time, there was a TINY mixup, and something like 5 cents didn't get paid on the monthly bill - which then kicked in interest on the entire month's bill. I called them up, and I'd say within 15 seconds, all the charges were dropped. The Cabelas card has EXCELLENT service.
Plus, with every month's bill, you get a brochure full of overs just for Cabelas Club members.
Yep...I screwed up an electronic payment, and it didnt' go through. There was a penalty and interest involved. I called to fine out what happened, and when I made the payment while I was talking to the guy, he dropped the penalty and interest for my mistake....How customer friendly is that?? :D

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am envious of Sixgun's vigilance ------ regrettably i had to start using them when they quit trusting us at most of the gas pumps a few years ago. I travel so much that it just makes things a lot easier for me as well, rather than carrying fistfuls of cash (convenience is what gets Americans in trouble at times though)

As an aside, if you have an occupation where you have a ton of tax write offs, using my Discover card makes it easier for record keeping , as every month they break down the expenditures by category , like travel, fuel, entertainment, services etc. -- that has been a plus, --- but the negative is that work has been slow for me lately and paying off the balance from my last big business road trip is taking forever
----- Doug
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny you mentioned the gas pump, that is one place I don't use credit cards. I used to leave the card with the clerk at the gas station while I pumped my gas, and then he'd charge the card. That card I didn't use for anything else except internet purchases.

Then someone charged my card with $1300 worth of Ticketmaster in Los Angeles. Because it was local, I'm pretty sure it was the gas station that did it - plenty of time to copy down my number, expiration, and security code on the back. The money from selling the tickets probably went straight to Al Quaeda.

So I no longer use it for gas or groceries, unless I can do it right at the pump no clerk.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Some people light their smokes with money. Not me, I can't afford it.

Credit cards don't cost anything to use as long as you keep them paid off. If someone is willing to give me a 1-2% rebate to use their money I am going to take it. I prefer the cash to points because I can spend cash anywhere I want.

Also, credit cards leave a credit trail that, if we are responsible, help build a good credit rating in case we ever want to use it.