No rest for the wicked: A sticky link/ramp?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

No rest for the wicked: A sticky link/ramp?

Post by Panzercat »

Feel free to say "I told you so" somewhere in your reply, but I'm hoping its accompanied by a fix that doesn't involve a lengthy stay at some manufactures depot or the words "talk to Nate" ...Like he doesn't have enough on his plate :p

I have recently acquired a used mossberg 464 and the main problem is fairly simply-- one out of every 10 rounds will not feed from magazine tube. The original owner probably knew this and even had a dummy round for me to cycle on pickup; a problem that wouldn't be exposed without running multiple shells through the action at length. Needless to say, there have been a few rude comments concerning the sellers questionable ancestry, but what's done is done and I really wouldn't mind salvaging the rifle.

This is the aforementioned failure in action. The round fails to feed onto the ramp while the rest of the action cycles smooth as silk. Occasionally I'll hear a hollow pop which I assume is that tab lodged against the round's butt (the Link?) moving out of the way when the lever is returned fully to battery, allowing the round to be positioned, but that part of the action is closed so I can't eyeball it to say for certain. I've ran some CLP through the action to give it a cleaning for what its worth.

Any ideas, folks?

PS-- Being a Davidson's doesn't confer a warranty to you as the second hand owner... Or apparently a save versus quality control failure. If you see it being touted as an advantage in a used gun you're looking to pick up, it's not.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: No rest for the wicked: A sticky link/ramp?

Post by J Miller »

Yes, I have an idea.

There is a possibility the cartridge stop, the little projection at the top front of the link is too tall. If so the rim of the cartridge will catch on it and fail to feed.
Here is a pic of a Win 94 with the action closed:
win94action2.jpg
If you look closely you'll see the cartridge stop sits horizontally just between the fingers on the front of the cartridge lifter.
I'd take the gun apart, remove the loading gate, then put it back together and watch what happens.

That's my idea and that's where I'd start.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

you will have to study what actuates the cartridge stop.
if it were too tall, you would have constant failure to feed.
if you close the action too gently, it may not be moved enough
to release a cartridge to the lifter. too much spring or not enough
pressure? does the lever have any play while in battery?
if you close the action slowly can you hear the cartridge release?
can you intentionally cause the malf.? perhaps by slowly and
gently closing the action?

good luck. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Along the same lines, could the follower be sticking or hanging up in the magazine tube. Its movement after breaking free would tend to sound like a pop. Debris or other stuff in the tube?
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Check you mag spring and follower.
Mack
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Thanks so far for the advice, everybody. Definitely pointing me in the right direction, or at least a more coherant one.

-I've increased spring pressure (by lengthening it) with no real affect. Reducing it has not had any affect either.
-Sharply levering the action with force does not produce any consistent result. You can see the round happily sit in place regardless.

I will start to investigate the Follower more closely, though it didn't show evidence of fouling when i removed it and the spring. Do you suppose a wire bore brush is appropriate for cleaning the mag tube just in case? I'll also start to try and induce the error consistenly. On a side note, do you think overlubing could create this issue? Will also try and listen for clues in the action.

Thanks again!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.