Well, it's not purty or sexy but...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Well, it's not purty or sexy but...

Post by JohnB »

I recently purchased a Gen 2 Glock 17 and I had forgotten what a great "tool" this weapon actually is. It is not purty, it is not sexy, it is not collectible. BUT, it is an outstanding tool that you can always count on to go 'bang' when it is supposed to. I view these items for what they are... another tool for my toolbox. A bad times, run it hard, put it away hot and dry, reload and store until I need it kind of tool.
LGF small 4.jpg
LGF small 3.jpg
Well, it keeping with the 'system' mentality when it comes to tools....I decided to get the baby brother as a CCW piece. Consistency of training, and all that. I finally bit the bullet and invested in this -
LGF small 1.jpg
LGF small 2.jpg
FYI - The holster and mag holder combo is a Comp Tac Infidel. Very high quality (for Kydex, anyway) and it will fit both pieces.

I gotta say, I love this little gun. Fits my hand very well, light, accurate, simple, easy to manipulate and maintain AND I can teach my entire family how to use it without overwhelming them.

I am pretty impressed...and that is hard to do with a Tupperware. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Well, it's not purty or sexy but...

Post by Blaine »

My G36 was useful and accurate and I'm sorry I let my pinhead SIL have it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

GLOCK--my thoughts exactly...not pretty...just reliable... :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's the model 10 of this generation.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Rusty wrote:It's the model 10 of this generation.
EXACTLY! :lol:
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Very contrary to the notion Glocks are infallible, I had numerous and increasing failuers to feed with my new g20. All the gurus that inhabit the forums told me with solemn(?) authority that my hand loads were the cause of all this. Well after a bit the pattern became clear and the problem traced back to magazines getting"sticky" and the next cartridge in line lay more nose down than in alignment with the feed axis. Cleaned the mags, did light dry type lube and the problem vanished. May be the reason there are extra 10% magazine springs. The short side of it, Id recommend an occasional mag tear down and cleaning, rather than hanging on to a myth. Oh yea, absolutely great gun since then. Lotsa horse pressure in a easily handled, accurate bottom feeder.
Last edited by rogn on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

rogn wrote:Very contrary to the notion Glocks are infallible, I had numerous and increasing failures to feed with my new g21. All the gurus that inhabit the forums told me with solemn(?) authority that my hand loads were the cause of all this. Well after a bit the pattern became clear and the problem traced back to magazines getting"sticky" and the next cartridge in line lay more nose down than in alignment with the feed axis. Cleaned the mags, did light dry type lube and the problem vanished. May be the reason there are extra 10% magazine springs. The short side of it, Id recommend an occasional mag tear down and cleaning, rather than hanging on to a myth. Oh yea, absolutely great gun since then. Lotsa horse pressure in a easily handled, accurate bottom feeder.
You mention it is a new 21. Is it a Gen 4? If so, you are not the first to experience issues with this model. There are many that drink the Glock Kool Aid and they all seem to be less than pleased with the "perceived" updates/upgrades in the Gen 4 guns.

Sticky mags are usually an issue with non factory mags (KCI, etc)....are you using the factory mags? I had AR mags exhibit the same "stIcky" issue and it was a function of dirt and a follower that tilted.

Nothing is infallible....not even the mighty Glock. :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My G36 was absolutely nasty with Blazer Aluminum boolits and it would stovepipe an empty about every couple mags....with Blazer Brass or anything else, I don't think it ever stove piped. 230 hardball was a good grouse load..a little hole through and through with no meat damage like a .22....I think I'd almost trade the 1911 for one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a 19 and 26. I'd like to add a 17 just for kicks.

My 19 is one of my favorites and in over 5000 rounds it's jammed once, and that's
most likely because I was screwing around seeing how fast i could empty a couple mags.

I switch back and forth on my carry guns between the G26 and my little Sig P238.

Planning on adding a full size .45 but can't decide between the Glock and the Springfield XD.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

2ndovc wrote:I have a 19 and 26. I'd like to add a 17 just for kicks.

My 19 is one of my favorites and in over 5000 rounds it's jammed once, and that's
most likely because I was screwing around seeing how fast i could empty a couple mags.

I switch back and forth on my carry guns between the G26 and my little Sig P238.

Planning on adding a full size .45 but can't decide between the Glock and the Springfield XD.

jb 8)
Glock 21 SF!!

XD is a the ugly lovechild of a 1911 and a G21. All the complexity, none of the simplicity...IMHO.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's funny.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Cant type and can't see, It was a G20 in 10mm. Mags are the factory 3 that it came with, they all finally got gummy and FTF. All working now. I don't think the same problem is as severe in the all popular but unrelated 9mm.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

My Glock 27 is comparable to a hammer in my tool pouch . Not much to look at. Don't need to fuss and worry about what to feed it. Just take it out and HAMMER away. 8)
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Don't forget, Index Your Trigger Finger.

Do Not Over-Oil. Or rather, use very little to none.

I've got a 17, 19 and 26. The 19 mags work perfectly in the 26. 17 mags, not so much. But the 17 mags work perfectly in the 19.