Glenfield vs. Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Glenfield vs. Marlin

Post by pullnshoot25 »

I am looking to buy in the near future a lever action 30/30 for making a 16.5" barreled woods rifle. I already have 1954 Marlin but I do not want to touch it . I did have a 1960 that I would have cut down with a Micro-groove barrel, but I want ballard rifling.

Here is my question... Did the Glenfield and other renditions of the Marlin 336 have the micro-groove barrels? If not, how much do they normally run for a decent one? Ideally, the rifle would be a shooter but not a looker, as I would be refinishing everything and customizing it.

Any thoughts, levergunners?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Glenfield have micro groove barrels . They are the same execpt for the stamping on the barrel and hardwood not walnut stocks. They usually run under $200 .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I paid $200 for a pretty nice one a couple years ago. Doubt that I could find one for that price anymore though. Like Ben said, they are the same guns as Marlins, just with hardwood stocks. I've not seen one with ballard rifling.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The lower priced Marlins are asking the same prices as the walnut stocked around here. Vintage, store brand, etc, doesn't seem to matter much.

AK Church did exactly what you're going to do. Sounds like a winner to me!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Glenfield vs. Marlin

Post by edwardyoung »

pullnshoot25 wrote:I did have a 1960 that I would have cut down with a Micro-groove barrel, but I want ballard rifling.
And I appreciate it. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Only pre 1956 Marlin .30-30's were Ballard rifled, so you'll be chopping a real collectable gun down if you go with a Ballard rifled Marlin.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

marlinman93 wrote:Only pre 1956 Marlin .30-30's were Ballard rifled, so you'll be chopping a real collectable gun down if you go with a Ballard rifled Marlin.
Dammit. That blows. Looks like I have to find a beater rifle now... dammit!