Old tyme Canadian Moose Hunt pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Old tyme Canadian Moose Hunt pics

Post by win92 »

Here are some scans of pics taken just after 1900 some time, They are of my Great Grandfather's hunting gang . I never got to know this man as he was long gone before my time and these few pictures are all I have. I think we would have got along OK.
Take note that three of the four guns are levers looks like a Savage , Marlin and Win 1886 near as I can tell not sure about the bolt gun. I'm thinking Ross Sraight Pull???

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool pictures. I can identify the Savage, Marlin and the Winchester, but what is the rifle on the far right?
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I think it is a Ross sraight pull (1903-to the middle of the first war)
280 Ross cartrige Quite a hot number ballistically . (for its time).
Canadian Made. Looks to me like the gun in the pick doesn't have a turn down bolt this is all I'm going on really. Perhaps someone will recognize it
and shed some light. This one is a sporter not the millitary model.
Scroll the pic of the guys over and see that its a Dapper young fellow who holds it. Magnumitus was alive in the old days too
Last edited by win92 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very cool!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great photos! I've never seen photos from that period or before with just the weapons. A real family treasure there. Also it sure puts the size of a Moose in perspective doesn't it? :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great pictures. Thanks for the post. 1886.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Great pictures :)
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

I'm thinking it's a Ross too, based on the bolt handle. But it's hard to see the tell-tale "barrel flange" that Ross's had.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great pics....
ya know.....someone should compile a file with all these
old pics and put them in a book....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Great pics. At least you have these. I have zero pics of family hunting and they did quite a bit. That looks like a Savage 99, Marlin 1893, Winchester 1886 and a Ross sporter. Neat indeed.

Military Rifle

Carbine

Sporter
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

win92 wrote:I think it is a Ross sraight pull (1903-to the middle of the first war)
280 Ross cartrige Quite a hot number ballistically . (for its time).
Pretty hot number for today, too --146 gr. bullet at 3100 fps, or a 180 at around 2800+. The Ross rifle was interesting, but had one rather alarming design flaw. It was easily disassembled for cleaning, but the bolt could be reassembled incorrectly so that it would fire without the locking lugs being engaged -- resulting in a bolt thru the forehead!
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I too think it is a Ross. These are fine pictures. Thanks for posting them!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Those are some VERY COOL pictures.

My mom is 87 now and homesteaded with her family 100 miles north of Edmonton Alberta in 1927. Grandpa Cotter fed the family on moose that he got with his 1895 Winchester .30-40 Krag. My cousin who bears the family name rightfully owns that old Winchester. We cherish it as a family since it SERIOUSLY kept the family from starvation. Grandma canned the moose meat.

GOOD TO SEE THAT MARLIN IN THERE!!! I'm not good enough to tell if it is an 1893 Marlin or an 1895 Marlin. Nice to see that 26" round barrel.

Geez that moose is big. No wonder Grandpa had to use his team of horses to bring them in!!!!

Good info on the Ross rifle. I had never even heard of it before!

Geoff
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. Where in Canada did your greatgrandfather hail from? Any idea where the moose was taken?
(Moose ARE big. During the course of my career, I responded to three moose versus motor vehicle accidents. Moose have a disconcerting tendency to come through the windshield of a passenger vehicle because of their height. Fortunately in each case the occupant(s) of the vehicles suffered only minor injuries. The moose did not fare as well. Two were killed on impact, and the third I had to put down.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool old picture!!! 8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

M92,those are great old photos thanks for sharing them.You should be proud to have pictures that old in such good condition.I have some of my families hunting pictures from the late 1940's 1950's, I don't have a scanner so I'll have to get someone from church to put them in for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

airedaleman wrote:What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. Where in Canada did your greatgrandfather hail from? Any idea where the moose was taken?
(Moose ARE big. During the course of my career, I responded to three moose versus motor vehicle accidents. Moose have a disconcerting tendency to come through the windshield of a passenger vehicle because of their height. Fortunately in each case the occupant(s) of the vehicles suffered only minor injuries. The moose did not fare as well. Two were killed on impact, and the third I had to put down.)

The family was in Vienna near Delhi, Kitchener area, tobbacco country.
They were farm folk . As to where they were hunting I really have no idea. I suspect northern Ontario.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great photo's, thanks for posting them. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

Wow...great photos! Actually, that Savage looks like one of the predecessors to the 99's. It's probably a model 1896 or a model 1899.

Not to hijack your thread, but hopefully to add...here's a pic of my model 1899 .303 Savage (serial numbered to 1912). Might even be your Great Grandpa's...who knows?

The .303 Savage caliber was very popular in Canada during that era.

and yes, I have the original rear sight
C&L