reduced 30-30 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

reduced 30-30 loads

Post by azmark »

I read Paco's article "30-30 varmint loads" and I'm interested in checking out some more info on this. Where are some other good sources for reduced loads for varmints, plinking, etc?
Mark Dickinson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have used W231 with 116grn lead , just don,t put more than 5grn in. Good to 50yds.
I have used Blue dot & 150 hard cast gas checked. Don,t go more than 13grn. Good beyond 100yds.
W231 works good with Speer 110 grainers and hornady 110 R noses.
Good small game stuff, 30/30 is so versatile.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Happy to share mine. W/W brass sized with a .3075" expander, Bear Creek Supply 170gr soft cast sized .309, 6.5grs Trail Boss, all ignited by CCI-300 primers. Velocity averages a very quiet 950-975fps. This load will penetrate so careful please. Regards. 1886.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I'm not familiar with Bear Creek Supply. Where can you get them?
Mark Dickinson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hmmmmmm....

What about 2400 under a 110gr JHP?

I have a couple hundred of those things laying around and have been looking for just the right use for them...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You can use 2400, just check the Alliant web site under silhouette loads.

I just fired my first 30-30 loads ever, this was a silhouette load also. Went with SR 4759, at 15.0, 15.5, 16.0, and 16.5. What a great boom sound the first two loads made! Sounded like black powder in a muzzleloader.

The first two each made groups with 4 shots touching and one flyer, at 25 yards. The first load was way low and to the left, whereas the second load was higher with perfect windage. The 16.0 and 16.5 each spread out considerably. These were Lasercast 170's with no gas check. I probably got 1500 fps with the good loads. I will be going with the 15.5 gr load for the time being.

Got to get my Ranger worked on - with CCI primers, half the shots wouldn't go off the first time. Some took three strikes.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I've been using 10grs of Unique with the 170gr Laser Cast bullets in my Win 94. Seems like it takes forever to scrub the barrel out after a shooting session. Not the most accurate load but I wonder if it is because the Laser Cast are a gas check design and I don't use the checks. It's a fun load to shoot. Recoil is about the same as my medium loads in the 357 Puma. Is it easier to clean up using Trail Boss?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

5744 Accurate works for me. W/O gas check Lasercast 165, 11 grains. W/ Gas check 15 grains. I use federal Match primers.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Bear Creek Supply is in Waterford Ca. Their web site is down for revamping but they are open. I do not have their number but directory assistance can help. Honco's name is Steve. Good guy. Let him know you had heard of his company on this forum. Best Wishes. 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

tcomer wrote:I've been using 10grs of Unique with the 170gr Laser Cast bullets in my Win 94. Seems like it takes forever to scrub the barrel out after a shooting session. Not the most accurate load but I wonder if it is because the Laser Cast are a gas check design and I don't use the checks. It's a fun load to shoot. Recoil is about the same as my medium loads in the 357 Puma. Is it easier to clean up using Trail Boss?
Sounds like your barrel is leading? Yes? Leading is caused by gas "cutting" your bullets. This is caused by gas getting by your projectiles and leaving lead deposits in your barrel. Are the bullets the correct size for the bore? Generally a bullet a thousand or two over groove diameter would be a good place to start. Pressure must be matched to the projectile's hardness. Harder bullets need more pressure to obturate and softer bullets require less. Bevel bases bullets may cause problems. Harder projectiles require more neck tension(smaller expander), softer bullets require less neck tension(an expander about .002 smaller than projectile diameter so as not to swage down the bullet during seating). Is your rifle's bore rough? This can contribute to leading. Gas checks designs may help some. I am certain others will give their thoughts. Hope this helps some. Accurate, clean cast bullet shooting can be tricky at times, more like a black art than science. Lots of experienced shooters here. 1886.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tcomer wrote:I've been using 10grs of Unique with the 170gr Laser Cast bullets in my Win 94. Seems like it takes forever to scrub the barrel out after a shooting session. Not the most accurate load but I wonder if it is because the Laser Cast are a gas check design and I don't use the checks. It's a fun load to shoot. Recoil is about the same as my medium loads in the 357 Puma. Is it easier to clean up using Trail Boss?
I would have to assume that a difficult clean up is the result of lead fouling in the bore, not powder fouling. And, yes, I think a gascheck design sans the gascheck will lend itself to leading quite rapidly. It all depends on just how hard the bullets are. If you're looking for a great reduced .30-30 load, I like the 5744 load by Accurate Powders found @: http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerC ... %20161.pdf (couldn't seem to make a link work, so it seems you'll have to cut n' paste). Note: while it shows a 160gr lead bullet, moving up to a 170 or down to a 150 with the same load is not a problem. However, the underlying problem with a cleaning problem can stem from bullet choice, bullet to bore or groove diameter, hardness, velocity, barrel condition, and not generally to powder choice... (unless you're shooting BP).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

The Laser Cast bullets are sized at .310 and they are hard. I don't get much leading but it's there. Once I get through the powder when I clean, then I get small flakes of lead. Not much though. I also use Laser Cast bullets in my 357 and 44 mag Puma guns. Same type of leading, but the powder residue is much easier to deal with. That's why I asked about Trail Boss. I do have a lot of Win 760 powder, but my Lyman Cast book doesn't list it and the start load in my Sierra book is 30grs at 1800 fps for the 170gr bullet. Anyone know how low you can go with that powder?
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I found that i got leading as I approached 9 grains of Unique with a 165 grain plain based .309 bullet. I coat them in Lee Liqued Alox and load over 8.0 grains of Unique for lots of cheap and clean shooting fun.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.