Whitetail vs. Mulies...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Whitetail vs. Mulies...

Post by El Mac »

Gents,

For those that have eaten both, do you notice a difference in taste? Just wondering. Never had mulie but with my pending transfer to Colorado, I'm going to get my first taste. Just wondering what to expect.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

To me they taste pretty much the same with the meat from the Whitetail perhaps tasting a bit milder/sweeter. The Mulie out West is found in all types of environments but the ones in the desert and high desert taste just a bit gamier as they eat desert grass and sage brush. Now, all you need is the opportunity to hunt Elk. You'll like them for sure.
ED
Yer never too old
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I live in NW Kansas and we have both species. I can't tell the difference between the two. They both eat the same food out here. I have had mule deer that was raised in sage brush country and they do taste a bit gamier. I think that if you hunt river bottoms in Colorado, they would be a bit better. Where are you possibly moving to in CO?
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

As long as they come from similar environments (i.e. similar forage) I can't tell the difference.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

jengel wrote: Where are you possibly moving to in CO?
...moving to the Colorado Springs area.

And you better believe I'll be trying for elk too!
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

That's a nice place to live. I would much better live there than the Denver area. I live about 3 or so hours from Co Springs. There are a few members on here that are from that area.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

jengel wrote:That's a nice place to live. I would much better live there than the Denver area. I live about 3 or so hours from Co Springs. There are a few members on here that are from that area.
I'll actually be in the Monument area but working in COS. Love to hear from other Levergunners in the area!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have had eastern White tail and California Mulies and I can tell the difference.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I have eaten a lot of each. I killed many mulies growing up in Idaho then moved to Montana where I killed many mulies and WT's. I now live in NC where I have killed a bunch of WT's. They do taste a little different, but I think they all taste a little different every area I have killed them from. I think it is all in what they are feeding on. The Idaho deer were killed where there was a lot of sagebrush. Those deer were pretty bad sometimes. The MT deer I killed that were feeding on plains grass were great. The NC WT's I hunt are mostly over bean fields and are great as well but do tast a little different.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Exactly what Dastook said. the white tails I have had were eating acorns and greens out of cow pastures. The mulies were living on SoCal scrub lots of sage and other brush. Makes for a difference not a bad one just different
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

I appreciate the info fellas!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

The mulies here in NM that I've eaten are all fed on shinery, or scrub oak. They're little oak bushes that grow in the deserd, and the deer that feed on 'em taste like whitetail. I've heard the mulies in the mountains taste a little gamey.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

White tail breakfast sausage getting nod over moose and muledeer breakfast sausage this morning :D
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

There's as much taste difference WITHIN the species, as there can be between species. Same deer can change taste depending on the season also, just depends what they're eating, and when.