Changed my brand of leverguns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Changed my brand of leverguns...

Post by 1894c »

Three weeks ago I sold a Win.94AE in 30/30 and used the proceeds to buy a stainless steel Rossi 92 in .357 mag., 16" bbl. After shooting it twice I became hooked. So this week I traded my Rem-Marlin 1894 in .357 mag to buy another Rossi 92 in .44 mag., 20" bbl. (stainless steel).

I have owned and hunted with Winchesters (94's only) and Marlins (336, 1894, 1895) over the years, I have fond memories of both brands. But after hanging with you guys, reading the reports that others have posted, and reading as much info as I could about the Model 92 design, and Rossi's in particular.

I came to the conclusion that I really like the Model 92 design in leverguns. Now I cannot afford to buy an original Win.92 or a new Winchester (Japan) clone, so for me the Rossi is the only option at this point. I know that some Rossi's come with issues, I fully understand that I may have to clean up the action (ordered pieces-parts and the Rossi 92 - DIY Action Job KIT DVD from Steve Young - http://store.stevesgunz.com/ ) and a Rossi is not as finished as a new Winchester, Marlin, or the older offerings of both.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... r2q4chhsd0

In the end it was the handling qualities and the overall design of the Model 1892 that did it for me... :)

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Changed my brand of leverguns...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would've kept the Winchester.... but congrats on your new ones!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats. enjoy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dude!

Welcome to the SRLC (Stainless Rossi Lover's Club) :mrgreen:

Oh, I completely agree on the handling issue. I could just never get comfortable with the W94 "gut shucking" action.

I like Win 92 actions and Marlin 336/95 actions, but neither type of 1894...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I would've kept the Winchester.... but congrats on your new ones!
Thought about it, long and hard--but in the end it was a financial decision. I am limiting my reloading to a few cartridges, so I decided to get leverguns in the calibers that I have pistols in--it wasn't personal, just strictly business... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

You got a capable pair there. Rabbit or scoundrel or black bear! i have a 94 and a 92. The 92 is just so right in many ways. Let us know how they shoot once you work them up.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now you need one in .45 Colt, to go with those two... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'da kept both the '94 & the Marlin, then bought the Rossi's fer stablemates - since I'm a non-denominational levergunner. ;)

HEY ! ! Wait a minute ! ................... That's EXACTLY what I DID ! . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Rossi 92s are nice guns, i have the rifle version in 44 mag.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I started out with USRAC 1894 Trappers and gravitated to the Marlin 1894C (which I still consider the overall easiest design to live with), but a "middlin' or better" Rossi 92 in .357 is a nice little gun. I picked up a second one very recently, but it was immediately sent back to Braztech where it is waiting for some fixes which I won't get into at this time.

(Trying to be fair; we shall see how that works out.)

I wish I had picked up on .357 carbines twenty years earlier than I did.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

I'm really glad that you're liking your new rifles. Your post helps me to to be patient waiting for the one I want to show up.

Happy shooting.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote: I could just never get comfortable with the W94 "gut shucking" action.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have this discussion with Malamute a LOT. Everytime a Win 94 opens I always think of a junk truck rattling by full of scrap metal.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

:mrgreen:

I don't get the "guts falling out" comments. I can't figure out what the big difference is between a lever, link and locking bolt being exposed when cycling a 94, and a lever and locking bolt in a Marlin, with it's thicker action and permanentaly protruding lump on the bottom for the lever pivot because it doesn't have a link to allow the lever to make the long stroke and still keep the receiver very thin and trim, or a lever and two locking bolts "falling out" in a 92. I think the 94 Winchester action is fiendishly clever, allowing the length of cartridge it does in such a trim action. I like it far better than a Marlin action or 92 Winchester action. I love the crisp sound of a pre-64 or pre-war 94 cycling.

:lol:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good. Ends my confusion. I always wondered why a guy that calls himself 1892m did HAVE a mdl 92! :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:

But, yes;
O.S.O.K. wrote:I would've kept the Winchester.... but congrats on your new ones!
or both!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote::mrgreen:

I don't get the "guts falling out" comments. I can't figure out what the big difference is between a lever, link and locking bolt being exposed when cycling a 94, and a lever and locking bolt in a Marlin, with it's thicker action and permanentaly protruding lump on the bottom for the lever pivot because it doesn't have a link to allow the lever to make the long stroke and still keep the receiver very thin and trim, or a lever and two locking bolts "falling out" in a 92. I think the 94 Winchester action is fiendishly clever, allowing the length of cartridge it does in such a trim action. I like it far better than a Marlin action or 92 Winchester action. I love the crisp sound of a pre-64 or pre-war 94 cycling.

:lol:
Well let's simplify it to semantics, to whit, how many syllables required to describe the sound of each.

Winchester: Clickety click clackety clack.

Marlin: Click clack.

So, less moving parts, simpler design and takes less work to describe the function.

A room full of Winchesters being cycled must sound like a train yard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The blued Rossis can be very nice too! Their finish varies a bit but some of the older blued Rossi 92s have a nice deep black, near mirror-blue finish that puts many Winchester 94s to shame. Keep your eye peeled for one!

And for the record I've come to LIKE the rattly many-parts-in-motion action of a Winchester 94! Just think it's neat as heck and I'm sticking to that. :D

Oly
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My Rossi .44 mag. is like that deep shiny black, good wood really nice.
pre-safety
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

1894c er... 1892m wrote:In the end it was the handling qualities and the overall design of the Model 1892 that did it for me.
Well yeah, 1892's are the best feeling rifle, but all leverguns are good. And the 30/30 is the best overall levergun cartridge, though they are all good. I know I enjoy whatever I've got hold of at the time. I feel bad that you thought you needed to get rid of anything.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
1894c

Post by 1894c »

earlmck wrote:
1894c er... 1892m wrote:In the end it was the handling qualities and the overall design of the Model 1892 that did it for me.
Well yeah, 1892's are the best feeling rifle, but all leverguns are good. And the 30/30 is the best overall levergun cartridge, though they are all good. I know I enjoy whatever I've got hold of at the time. I feel bad that you thought you needed to get rid of anything.
it all comes down to finances...and limiting myself to a few calibers to reload... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

VERY NICE!
congrats!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

earlmck wrote:
I gotta take a .356 WCF over a 30-30. You can usually "clean up a Rossi just by shooting it a lot. Not a bad job at all.
fred45
Levergunner

Post by fred45 »

how do 38s cycle the rossi? I have one in 45 colt and love it. looking for a mate to the gp100 and I shoot a lot of 38s so it would be nice if the rossi will digest them.
Warren Pease
Levergunner

Post by Warren Pease »

I have a trapper that is great with .357 but just doesn't like .38 specials.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Well, NO WAY am I getting rid of any of my Marlins, Winchesters, or even my lone Mossberg lever but I would like to have a couple of Rossi's; a long barreled (24"?) octagonal rifle and a 20" round barreled carbine, both blue, I just can't decide on calibers, I am thinking 357 for the carbine and 44 magnum for the rifle (maybe 45 Colt).

1892m, this is a good thread you started, plus my favorite gun show of the year out in Garden City, KS this weekend!! (Show is sponsored by the Sand & Sage Gun Club- free plug)
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Some Rossis seem to like the .38s more than others. Also, a lot of folks don't know Rossi made a very few "discreet" .38s back in the Interarms days. I've only seen two or three. A friend has one of them.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have an Interarms Rossi 92 SRC in .357 and it runs the .38's just fine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fred45 wrote:how do 38s cycle the rossi? I have one in 45 colt and love it. looking for a mate to the gp100 and I shoot a lot of 38s so it would be nice if the rossi will digest them.
I have a stainless 16" one with Marble's 'Bullseye' sights that just eats .38 Specials like candy; never a hiccup in cycling.

This photo was taken during the sighting-in process, and as you can see, it groups nicely (at 40 yards) with .38 Specials. I think the 'stringing' on the .357 Mag loads was due to not letting the barrel cool, and I've not yet 'accurized' it by un-binding the magazine tube, which helps alleviate that issue. It feeds .357 Mag loads just as well.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

The first thing I shot out of my Rossi 357 mag was a box of 135 gr. hollow-point Speer Gold Dot .38+P's. The hollow-point is fairly large, they all cycled and fired with no FTF. I really appreciate everybody's comments--you guys are the best... :)