Price check/value question Win92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Price check/value question Win92

Post by dkmlever »

I am looking at a 1917 Winchester 92 is 32-20 rifle version, octagon barrel, all numbers match, wood is in worn but no cracks or splits condition, BUT someone has done some rough rust removal (dremil tool or file marks still show!) on the mag tube spots on the receiver and butt plate then done a poor reblue job. I can get it for $550. I am thinking of having it re-done by the local gun smithing school as a students project gun and keeping it as a shooter. Am I nuts to even think about buying it or what?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a 1917 92 round barrel rifle 32-20. I bought it in 1954 and it's my favorite rifle. If the barrel and action are good and you like it you will sure enjoy loading and shooting it. The 32-20 is a great cartridge and capable of alot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

If the bore and mechanics are good, I think it is worth it as a shooter.
.........THE TWINS..........

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

because of the scratches and rust ...you should be able to
knock it down in price....450-500 you will like the 92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Unless your the rifle was special ordered from the factory, there should be no "matching numbers". Some special ordered, highly optioned guns can be seen with assembly numbers but this is fairly rare. I have never seen a standard rifle with "numbers", matching or not.

A Winchester Collector
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Yeh, that "matching numbers" stuff sounds like you own a classic Corvette.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

"that "matching numbers" stuff sounds like you own a classic Corvette"

NOT hardly, my vehicle is a 2001 Toyota 4-runner with 120K miles on it, a corvette couldn't get up my driveway. :shock: I guess I should have said all parts and pieces are original and match for that gun. Like the markings on the receiver and barrel.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sometimes the price is what the buyer is willing to pay.I would try to bargain a little on the price.$50 to $100 lower.You will like that win'92.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."