OT dog of war

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

OT dog of war

Post by papabear »

The Dogs
Of War
While on patrol in Iraq last October, Marine Maj. Brian Dennis and his squad got to know a dog who came around and took scraps of food. One night in late December, Dennis found the dog in bad shape. It was bitten, stabbed, nearly freezing and close to death. Dennis treated the dog, whom he called Nubs, and slept with him that night to keep him warm.

But what followed for Marine Maj. Brian Dennis and the mutt was a tale of friendship and loyalty that spanned miles and overcame long odds - one set to take a turn Friday with the anticipated arrival here of the Marine's best friend.

"This dog who had been through a lifetime of fighting, war, abuse ... is going to live the good life," Dennis told his family in an e-mail from Iraq.

The tale unfolded in October, a few months after Dennis deployed to Iraq from San Diego to work as part of the military team building infrastructure along the Syria-Iraq border and training Iraqi forces to take over.

Dennis, 36, of St. Pete Beach, Fla., had volunteered for the assignment. It was a departure from his role as a fighter pilot. He had seen the country from the air, but it was different on the ground.

Dennis wrote stories home about the reciprocal relationship that desert dogs, strays wandering outside border towns, had with Iraqis.

"The dogs get to eat the Iraqi scraps and have a home in the middle of the desert," he wrote in an e-mail. "The Iraqis get an incredible early warning system; these dogs hear anything approaching from miles away and go nuts and scramble to defend their territory."

While on patrol in the Anbar province, Dennis spotted what appeared to be a gray and white, male German shepherd-border collie mix. He named the dog Nubs after learning someone cut the ears off believing it would make the dog more aggressive and alert.

Within weeks, Nubs was greeting Dennis during routine patrol stops along border communities. The Marines fed him bits of their food and by November, the Marine and his unit were keeping an eye out for the dog, which routinely chased their Humvees when they departed.

Life on the run, however, was taking a toll on the dog. He had lost a tooth and been bitten in the neck. In late December, Dennis found Nubs near death in freezing temperatures. The dog had been stabbed with a screwdriver.

Dennis rubbed antibiotic cream on the wound and slept with Nubs to keep him warm.

"I really expected when I woke up for watch he would be dead," Dennis wrote. "Somehow he made it through the night."

Dennis thought he had seen the last of the dog days later when his squad headed back to its command post some 65 miles away. He couldn't take the dog with him and watched as it tried to follow the Humvees away from the border.

Two days later, while Dennis and a comrade were working on a Humvee, he looked up and saw the dog staring at him.

"Somehow that crazy darned dog tracked us," he wrote Jan. 9.

But the reunion was short lived. Military policy prohibits having pets in war zones, and Dennis was given four days to get the dog off the base or kill him.

The decision was easy: Nubs was going to San Diego. The logistics, though, were anything but easy.

With help from his Iraqi interpreter, Dennis managed to find a Jordanian veterinarian to get the care and paperwork needed to get the dog to the states. He also negotiated the red tape to get Nubs across the border into Jordan.

His family and close friends helped raise the $3,500 needed to get the dog from Amman, Jordan, to San Diego, said his mother, Marsha Cargo.

"I just can't believe it. Out there in the middle of nowhere these two find each other," Cargo said.

A colleague in San Diego agreed to care for the dog and have it trained until Dennis returns in March from Iraq.

"We anticipate a real steep learning curve for Nubs," Capt. Eric Sjoberg said. "We want him to learn to just be a dog."

For now, though, Dennis will settle for the knowledge that Nubs is finally safe - and waiting for his master to follow him.
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There must be some dust in the air, my eyes are leaking.

Sometimes you just can't abandon a friend, no matter who tells you to.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

When I was over there every time I saw one of the working dogs or some pup brought in from one of the patrols playing some thing always got in my eye. It makes me happy to hear that that dog is gonna have a better life.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Great story, but...

...if we're to the point where Majors are leading Marine squads, maybe things over there are worse than I thought!!! :roll:

scott
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

RSY wrote:Great story, but...

...if we're to the point where Majors are leading Marine squads, maybe things over there are worse than I thought!!! :roll:

scott
He isn't leading grunts. He is part of a training and reconstruction team. We have alot of senior enlisted and officers on these teams not really a job for LCpls they deal with alot of locals and are our face to the Iraqi people.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great story. Somethings wrong with my monitor though. It was getting kinda blurry. :?

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Welcome to the "land of the big PX," Nubs! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I'm sorry, I mean I feel for the mutt but $3500 to bring this dog back? Good grief! What people spend their money on! Yet little is ever said about the children that are indeed hurting there, here and everywhere.Hmmmmm seems like everyone has gotten calous to things that matter but cry for things that really dont. Just my $.02 :?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great story! :D

It's not the money. It's the fact that we have the most fearsome warriors on the planet, and yet, at their core, they are fathers, son, brothers friends and caring members of society. Even is war, they find ways to display mercy.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Dust in the air/ Blurry monitors?!

Post by Billy Boy »

C'mon guys! Admit it! You love and care for your dogs as much or more than most do! I have'nt been able to sit through a movie where a dog dies w/o crying since I saw "The Shaggy Dog" one Sunday night years ago on Disney! I seriously wanted to be a vet when I was a kid until we had the dog I spent my adolelcence with put down around 35 years ago. I've been a total dog mush all my life and the two Labs I have now are no less important to me than any of their predecessors.
This marine is a special man to have done what he has for this pup! Until I got into labs for waterfowling; I had German Shepherds for 20 years.
They were up until that time (IMHO) the smartest dogs I had ever met.
I hope they enjoy as much time together as the big man is willing to grant them!
Semper Fido!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great story. Dogs Rule! :D
Ken41
Levergunner

Post by Ken41 »

Well, some people never well understand! Who is always happy to see you, never gets mad at you, is part of the family and knows how to con you all of the time?

It would be nice to send Nubs a few bucks to help pay for his trip.
Ken
NRA Life
Image Image