OT - What you hope to do when you retire...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - What you hope to do when you retire...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This will be me - 40 years from now (hopefully)!

Of course, I hope to retire in 20 years - which is when my daughter should be done with college and out on her own! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Well, I'm there now,
have some rural land in N.M.
good shop, tools, etc.
Walk in the mountains with my dogs, shoot, read, build some things, make some stocks for levergunners ( I hope )
Intro-spective contemplation
Try not to annoy the nieghbors ( not close )
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't think I could alltogether retire. I'd like to work a few days a week at SWH or Cabelas. All I want from my twilight years is decent health and enough money to hunt, fish, shoot and ride scoot.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Retire - 30 years in practice next Thursday - why I'm just getting started.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I pulled the pin in 1998. I always ask my friends what day it is. If they give the right answer, they're not retired.
Retirement means No customers. NO hurry to be to work on time. NO deadlines. NO commute. Going to the range in the middle of the week. Taking your time to do nothing. And saying I'll just work a couple of days a week, that goes by the wayside in about a year. What are some of your ideas?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Years ago I decided that rather than endure a bunch of stuff I hated and wait to retire, I'd instead do what I liked, and live where I liked, as soon as I entered the workforce. Unfortunately due to job choice I was 32 by the time I was done getting 'trained' (and that was all in the city :( ), but since then I have been lucky enough to do a job I like and live out in the sticks with a small shooting range and place to hunt deer and watch wildlife of all sorts :) , and am blessed with a wonderful wife :!: and four cool kids :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . What's happening to family practice docs (due to insurance ripping patients off but not paying us much beyond our overhead - which they also worsen) may mean I'll not even be able to really quit working until age/senility forces me to, but I really don't know I'd ever want to quit - maybe cut down to 30 hours someday though!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1x2
Levergunner

Post by 1x2 »

I tried it. I went fishing and shooting for a week and a half, relaxed at night, watched movies, played guitar. I was so sick of fishing by the second Thursday that I updated my resume on Friday morning and started looking for work.

So for my retirement, I'd like good health. With that and my meager pocket of skills, I'll continue, in MY own way, to attempt to provide value somewhere in the food chain.... I can't fathom retirement.

Make no mistake, I congratulate those of you who have both figured it out and can afford it- or even have one of these two ingredients.

1x2
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

29-1-2008, that was it!, did my 42 years hard labour.

Seriously gents, to stay healthy as long as possible, everything else follows.

I have never been so busy.

Cheers

Mark
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I hit my first retirement on July 22 2016 I'll be 42. After that I will move to Co. get some land and hopefully a government position with the Army or Air force out there. Do that for 20 more and retire @ 62 and spend my time sitting on my porch in my undies and a pair of flip-flops shooting coyotes and deer on my land :lol: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I am retired, and am divorced!! I do what I want, when I want and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the firing range in mid week. No one else there!! Retirement is GOOD!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Gun Runner

Post by Gun Runner »

I retired at 37 1/2 in 77 when I retired from the Navy. Everybody told me to draw my unemployment for 6 mos. After 2 months I could walk stright up a wall or cross ways on it. Went to work at a gun shop (in HONO). Got in a fight with the boss'es wife over a gun she lost and accused me of stealing. When the cops got there it was found in her safe. Went thru a divorce and got on a plane and went to Alaska. Spent 2 yrs there and moved back to Calif. due to my mothers health. Bummed around and stayed drunk a lot. At 62 applyed for S/S (took it early), remaried and worked part time till last year then just plain quit. Went on full S/S 2 1/2 yrs ago. Now spend my time fishing, shooting, gold panning taking care of the wife as she is disabled, and teaching my 7 yr old grand daughter and 4 year old grand son things I think they should know. Drives my daughter (step daughter) nuts. Sleep in late if I want and stay up late if I want, and do just about what ever I want to when I want to.

Gun Runner
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well my big plan is to travel. I do photography and I want to get out and look for those great scenics. I also want to hike and hunt, just explore.

The big problem with working is you have to stay in one place so you can keep going back to work. When I'm retired I'll have a small income but it won't matter where I am.

So I plan to get a van and live out of it, visit friends and relatives, camp, explore, and take my time doing it.

I've never had the problem of being bored when I have time off, I've always had plenty of projects to get involved in.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I have been totally retired now for going on 4 years.I do miss working on helicopters but hunting casting and shooting seem to fill in my time.
as a 100% disable vet I do have some things that I just can't do anymore but I get up every day with a positive attitude and stay busy.
its all about what "you" make it :D .
DAV life member.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I expect "retirement" will just mean doing something different. I can in less than 10 years, but there will be children in collge about then, so...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If I could get someone to pay my benefits, I'm outta here, and I have a do-nothin' job. Right now, I'm at work playing on this machine, with no warehouse work to do.

My buddy wants me to work for him at Targetmaster but at the moment, I have Teamster benefits which mean just about everything is free for my wife and I. Barring that, I have 9 years to go before early retirement at 62.

I have plenty to keep me busy when I'm done working, as right now, there are not enough hours in the day to do what I like to do.--------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Retirement? Yeah, that's only like 40 years away. :x

I will do what ever I want to though.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:... spend my time sitting on my porch in my undies and a pair of flip-flops shooting coyotes and deer on my land :lol: .
Ahhh... the GOOD life...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

retirement

Post by brucew44guns »

Can't urge younger guys enough to work hard at getting your mortgage paid off as quick as possible. It frees you up to save money, and accumulate a few things that make retirement more enjoyable. I drove a fuel transport 42 years, worked long hours, 6 and 7 days a week. I pulled the pin right after Thanksgiving, can't believe how much better life is. Had a gun vault room in the basement unfinished. Got it painted, carpeted, nice bench built in there, gun rack on one wall. Takes time to do these things, hard to do that when working 70 hours a week. But save some bucks guys, you'll sure need them. Just remember, time flies when you're having fun, you will be at retirement age sooner than you think.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WHATS RETIREMENT?
I've got fifteen to twenty years to go...
The only way I'll be able to retire is by robbing a bank...
or winning the lottery...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I retired from naval service after 21 years. Currently teaching mechanical engineering at a university. When I feel I have nothing more to offer to the students, I will retire to my sailboat and spend more time traveling(via plane) to sub-sahara Africa working on making life better for others, spreading God's Grace to those who struggle with their daily food and water. When not doing that, I imagine I will busy myself with riding the Harley, Sailing my sloop, fishing, hunting and continuing learning (I am getting my PhD now, will continue on others after that is done). I will be 50 this year and as I look to the future, I want to do a better job extending God's grace to a broken world.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have already given this mater much thought in just the last few weeks. My plan is to get to know every fish within a three county area on a first name basis. then I'll work on Tampa Bay and my little portion of the gulf of Mexico but not in that order.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I'm almost halfway to 108, and envision doing what I do for at least another 10-15 years. After that, I expect to keep busy working part time in a gun shop, hardware store, or lumber yard, or possibly drive a school bus or get on the substitute teaching list. I may even elect to drive a self-owned expedited freight van or truck that I'd lease to a freight carrier. I have to keep busy.

I know I just cannot "stop" and simply hang out at the house all day, and I'm not the type to meet my buddies at McDonalds every morning for a breakfast sandwich and a coffee, mulling over the same subjects and eveyone's ailments in a repetitive "Groudhog Day" sort of existence.

I'm not a traveler, either. There may be a trip here and there for my wife and I, but not like some retirees who are gone more than they are home.

No, I really can't see retiring at all.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ten years ago I had a ten year plan to retire. Well...the ten years are here and I have to make adjustments to that plan and hopefully come up with a twenty year plan to get to retirement. That should extend my life span since I'd be 75 before that happens. Any plans as to what I would do if retired are just pipe dreams now.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't think too much about retirement. I just hope I live to be 96 and then get shot dead by a jealous husband! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

game keeper wrote:I don't think too much about retirement. I just hope I live to be 96 and then get shot dead by a jealous husband with a smile on my face! :wink:
Fixed it for ya, Gamekeeper.

Noah :wink:
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully, "Taking your time to do nothing."

Spend time with my kids and/or grandkids.

But retirement for me is about 30 years away. I'm a young pup, 35. :)

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: retirement

Post by pharmseller »

brucew44guns wrote:Can't urge younger guys enough to work hard at getting your mortgage paid off as quick as possible. It frees you up to save money, and accumulate a few things that make retirement more enjoyable. .
I'm pinching as many pennies as I can to save for retirement, but I have a different opinion on paying off my house. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

My mortgage is at 5.5%. Rather than putting extra money toward paying it down, I max out my 401(k). I get far better than a 5.5% return ( and it's pretax dollars), plus I get to write the interest from my mortgage off on my taxes. If I have extra dollars after maxing the 401(k) I think I'd open an IRA. I look at my house as "good debt."

I'm still saving for the future and that's the key.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd be 222 days and a wakeup from retirement if the Clintoon hadn't decided to RIF me.

I'll never be able to "retire". I've still got $40K in Student Loans at 8% to try to pay off on less than $35K/yr. :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm looking forward to being one of those old, eccentric, curmudgenly backwoods geezers living in a log cabin in the sticks. I've already some of the bases covered,....old,......eccentric,.......cabin,.......

Being self employed, it will likely be a "living by my witts" life much of the time. I don't know how long I can keep building houses.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll probably work until I'm dead.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Gun Smith wrote:I pulled the pin in 1998. I always ask my friends what day it is. If they give the right answer, they're not retired.
Retirement means No customers. NO hurry to be to work on time. NO deadlines. NO commute. Going to the range in the middle of the week. Taking your time to do nothing. And saying I'll just work a couple of days a week, that goes by the wayside in about a year. What are some of your ideas?
BINGO! Change the year of retirement to 2003, and you just described me.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'd be 222 days and a wakeup from retirement if the Clintoon hadn't decided to RIF me.

I'll never be able to "retire". I've still got $40K in Student Loans at 8% to try to pay off on less than $35K/yr. :cry:
OI,

We are in the same boat. My wife completes here masters program in May. She and I both will be very happy about that. But once thats over we will have to consolidate what it took to get her there. I don't look forward to that. :cry: I share your pain my brother.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You fellers need to know one of the major downsides to being retired: You wont have the weekends to look forward to anymore. :D :D :D
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In 4 months I will retire from 48 years in the workforce. I am not ready to just take it easy and will do some University teaching. Travel doesn't interest me much as I have been everywhere I want to go and don't feel the need to see it again.

I do want to continue to grow intellectualy and be involved in Christian ministry of some sort.

I will build a few rifles, cast bullets and do some shooting.

I do observe that retirement doesn't look as good four months out as it did 10 or 20 years out. In fact it is plumb scary!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Noah Zark wrote:
game keeper wrote:I don't think too much about retirement. I just hope I live to be 96 and then get shot dead by a jealous husband with a smile on my face! :wink:
Fixed it for ya, Gamekeeper.

Noah :wink:
Thanks Noah :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I did my first retirement at age 50 in 2000 after 29 years in Police work.
Went to a county Coroners office to do Death investigations , and continue in that except I jsut started a few weeks ago in a new County . Making the switch means I have to do 5 years here to get any thing good out of it. I have all my reloading and casting equipment , have the cabin in the mountains and JUST CANT WAIT FOR THIS 5 YEARS TO GO BY TO GET THERE FULL TIME
My mortgage is paid off in August when that happens i'll re assess and MAYBE I can change that plan to March of 2010 Thats when the wife can retire . Hopefully we cna do thayt then and I can get to some everyday shooting fishing and hunting I see no reason that I cant make that happen to me
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

I plan to retire 12/1/08 after 45 years of full time work. I am looking forward to it but still not sure what I will do after the first month or so. Casting, loading, shooting, church work during the week, will take some time, but I need to be busy. Also thinking about my wife, when does she get to retire from her job (cooking, cleaning, etc.)?
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

I'll also be working till I'm dead, we got plans for the wife to retire though. :) No thanks to Social "Security". Wish the government would stop tryin' to "take care of us!"

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I could have retired from big-city law enforcement in April 2004, but plan to make it to April 2012, when I will meet a financial goal, or May 2013, when the wife will reach her full retirement status at her job. Then, I will evaluate the situation. There will be plenty to do; my wife has so many commitments in various forms of volunteer work that I try to help with now, that I could use an extra 40-60 hours a week as it is. Or, I may tell her that enough is enough; running your health into the ground in public service can get really old. I plan to catch up on canoe paddling in local waters, and some not so local. I will leave the fish alone; done enough of that in the past. I will tote the guns I want, instead of the guns some chief tells me to carry. Walk the beaches a lot, all over the place.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

My wife says I'm hyperactive. Relax is a foreign concept to me. So when I retire, I'll just spend all my time smithing on guns I have accumulated over the years and pursuing what ever interests me. You won't catch me in front of the TV!
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got 2 years, 8 months, (but who's counting?)! When I rtire I'll be 60, and I plan to work part time for a sporting goods store, just for fun. If it turns out to not be fun, thyen I'm not working anywhere for money!
I also plan to do take some missionary trips to help churches around he West, if they need my skills, and I can assist.
Hopefully I'll find time to fit in some shooting, fishing, and hunting too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I'd like to move out in the desert and spend my time hiking and wearing out Jeep tires. Now I just need to find someone to pay for it.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

Well 15 years AGO I Retired have had the time of my life sence. Moved back close to my home town (30 miles) I live to hunt and fish, ride horses and 4 wheelers more ridding 4 wheelers than horses lately I'm 64 an love to get up every day and think what will I do today OK I'll do that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

In 4 years and 20 days I'll be eligible to retire after 36 years with the Feds. I'll be 55 at that time. I'm thinking now that I'll wait until 60 though.

Like some on else here said I'm not paying off my house either. 5.5% interest on the mortgage. I'm putting 400 a month into an IRA thats earning about 10%.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:WHATS RETIREMENT?
I've got fifteen to twenty years to go...
The only way I'll be able to retire is by robbing a bank...
or winning the lottery...
You're ahead of me and, oddly enough, I'm planning on both of those events to "help" speed the process up...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I bet my then I'll likely have completed the brider program for nursing, and can pick up more than a few bucks by working ONE day a week at an ER or trauma center.

I just love emergency medicine.

I already work a 24/48 and before I was in school, I got the two days off usually midweek to hunt quietly or go shooting. Now that I'm back in school, I only get the one day after shift and some of that is to sleep.

I plan on having my first house paid for and the second one out in the country paid off as well. If I had to I could sell the rental house and be mortgage free out in the woods in a single-level house.

I could find ways to keep "busy" doing all sorts of things. I do need to have goals though so I don't bog down. Who knows?

It will be fun to have the challenge of all that free time and anything I want to fill it.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I got one retirement check hitting the bank now after 20 yrs in the ARMY. Also, I have been working as a GS DA Civilian now for 2 yrs, getting my next step increase next month. I doubt I will retire until age 60 or 65 since I enjoy my job and staying busy. But its nice to know once I get ready to retire the option isnt totally out of the question when I am 55. Guess I will have to wait and cross that bridge when I get to it!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

pharmseller wrote:... plus I get to write the interest from my mortgage off on my taxes....I look at my house as "good debt."Quinn

First, there is no such thing as a "good debt". Not even close.

Second, you get more money getting taxed than you do paying out to a bank, so the myth of a tax cut advantage is ridiculous.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I still have about 10 years to go. Hell, if I knew I'd live this long, I would have taken better care of myself :?
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Andrew wrote:
pharmseller wrote:... plus I get to write the interest from my mortgage off on my taxes....I look at my house as "good debt."Quinn

First, there is no such thing as a "good debt". Not even close.

Second, you get more money getting taxed than you do paying out to a bank, so the myth of a tax cut advantage is ridiculous.
What I meant was, if I have to have debt (and I couldn't pay cash for my house) then a manageable mortgage is the debt I want to have.

I don't understand what you mean by your second point.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942