Use of Boresnake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Use of Boresnake

Post by GonnePhishin »

Having never used a boresnake, I was wondering how to properly take care of them. Do you have to wash it after using it every time? I know that it takes more than one patch to get a rifle bore clean, but what about the boresnake? If you don't wash it after every use, wouldn't you just reintroduce crud into the bore? Wouldn't it just be like using dirty patches over again.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Use of Boresnake

Post by 86er »

I wash it when it becomes really discolored. I soak it in dishwashing detergent and warm water. It takes about 3 or 4 passes to "field clean" a rifle barrel. They are very convenient and efficient.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

86er wrote:I wash it when it becomes really discolored. I soak it in dishwashing detergent and warm water. It takes about 3 or 4 passes to "field clean" a rifle barrel. They are very convenient and efficient.
Me too :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Me three.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Me four. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

As mentioned above, they are OK for a field cleaning, but don't kid yourselves. For a barrel that has heavy powder and/or copper fouling or a combination of the two. they only take off a superficial layer. There is no substitute for brushes, aggressive bore solvents and elbow grease for heavily fouled barrels. If don't agree, I challenge you to clean your bore with a pass or two with a bore snake and them go after it again with brush, some good bore solvent and patches. You will see how much crud the bore snake left in there.

A Winchester Collector
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

So, basically they are good for a quick field cleaning but not adequate for final bore cleaning.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:So, basically they are good for a quick field cleaning but not adequate for final bore cleaning.
I think it depends on
  • a. how dirty your bore is to start with, and
    b. how clean you want your bore when finished...
Heavy fouling I usually use a few brush-passes for, then bore-snakes can finish things up. If I wanted a gun squeaky-clean for inspection or some sort of benchrest shooting, I'd never let it get fouled enough to need brushes, but would run a bore-snake through it frequently, then tight patches periodically for that final clean. Nothing scientific or proven - just my habits... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

That depends on just how fouled your bore is. As an example, I recently picked up another old Winchester. When looking at it before the purchase, I ran a bore snake through it a couple times with a little solvent. The bore shined up nice and pretty and confirmed to me there were no surprises in there. For casual observation, it looked perfectly clean.

When I got the gun home, I went after it with Shooters Choice, then Montana Copper Supreme along with brushes and tons of patches. I soaked and scrubbed on and off for the next few days and tons more additional crud came out. Eventually it came clean.

I have found this pattern to be true on many heavily used bores.

Bore snakes are a good tool, but I would not consider relying on them totally to do all my bore cleaning.

A Winchester Collector
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

For field cleaning and removing heavy crud etc they are fine. When they look dirty they probably are.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I for one appreciate the experience of others here. I probably will get a couple of boresnakes to take with me to places where a regular cleaning kit is inconvenient. I have been in the field and needed something to clean a rifle barrel and not had it. If I hadn't had a second rifle available, the trip would have been a washout. It sounds like a boresnake would be good for quick use when you accidentally get something in your barrel.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I too, appreciate the information given here and will pick up a couple.
Thanks to all for the info :D

pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

UncleBuck wrote:Having never used a boresnake, I was wondering how to properly take care of them. Do you have to wash it after using it every time? I know that it takes more than one patch to get a rifle bore clean, but what about the boresnake? If you don't wash it after every use, wouldn't you just reintroduce crud into the bore? Wouldn't it just be like using dirty patches over again.
I use 'em for guns I can't clean from the receiver end.

When the bore snakes get dirty I throw 'em in the laundry with the rest of the dirty stuff.

Nothing special.......just throw 'em in the washer & then the dryer with the rest of the stuff.

Sometimes I just use a long shoe lace tied around some patches soaked in #9 or whatever.

Then drag a couple of dry patches through the same way.

For long term storage I spray a little Remoil down the bore.

"A little Remoil on the Remlin keeps the gunsmith away" :lol:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can see the benefit of a quick field cleaning. Portable, small and unobtrusive in my daypack. For that time I inadvertently stuff the end of my barrel in the dirt, mud, etc.... Clean out the plug of dirt, run the boresnake through it and ready to go.
Old Law Dawg
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I use boresnakes as a quick cleanup on CAS guns are "away" events. Very effective and field expedient.

I also use boresnakes with 22 rimfire arms. It has been my experience with the 22s that nothing more is needed as long as I use the boresnake after each session. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I like em because they are so easy to use, I WILL USE EM OFTEN, so barrels don't get "bad" to start with. When dirty, I put em in a snap-lid container with hot water and a drop of dawn dish detergent, give it a shake for a couple minutes and let it set in the sun for a few hours before rinsing. Then hang em up to dry.
Certified gun nut
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

adirondakjack wrote:I like em because they are so easy to use, I WILL USE EM OFTEN, so barrels don't get "bad" to start with. When dirty, I put em in a snap-lid container with hot water and a drop of dawn dish detergent, give it a shake for a couple minutes and let it set in the sun for a few hours before rinsing. Then hang em up to dry.
And right there is the key to NOT needing to do an aggressive Rod & Solvent cleaning. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Here is just the opposite.I have found the boresnake to be of little use to me. They pull way too much fouling thru the bore after a pass or two and this is counter productive to my needs of cleaning a bore properly. I sought out another method that has worked well for me.

I have been using the Otis cleaning system for nearly all my weapons. The Tatical kit was under $40 and does all my weapons to the point that even if I can clean easily from the breech with a rod (Marlins) and such, I use the Otis. Some folks are bent on saying that the patches cost too much, but you get 6 passes with one patch. The patch, properly fit, will pull all the crud out the muzzle and it can be so tight that it will remove fouling that a fairly good rod system will leave behind. Their bore solvent is something I don't use, but their system is a real time saver to me. And the entire kit is about the size of two snuff cans sitting atop one another. It fits in to a small pack and takes up less room than a can of tuna. I buy the patches (really is a one size fits all) in bulk of 1000 and I shoot a lot of 45-70 and 44mags in my leverguns and do get them dirty! I'm at my range in my woods two to three times a week often. I bought the last 1000 patches in March. I still have 500 left. A box of 1000 costs me under $45 on a good day. Under 1/2 a cent a piece. That is often less than the cost of patches one buys at the shop in most cases.

Since I switched to the Otis after over 50 years of using a conventional rod, my weapons are super clean. There is no fear of a rod banging the Winchester or Browning leverguns muzzle up and such. Less fouling and crud enter the action as the gunk is pulled out the bore to the muzzle. In short, I find it a great system and beats the bore snake in true cleaning ability. And no, I don't work for Otis! :lol: But I am impressed with their system enough that the only weapon that I don't clean with it is my .50 cal ML Hawken. It can't do muzzle loaders except for the inlines with removable breechplugs.

I was skeptical at first and was not going to get my hopes up as to how well it might work. I was surprised and now know I was worrying about nothing. And remember, I am not easy to impress! :o

Ok, I know that was long winded, but then again I'm an oldman and we tend to go on a might :wink: :)

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I love Boresnakes. I use them for all the calibers. I usually run a patch with solvent through the bore, followed by a Boresnake, and it usually does a pretty good job. Just used them today, in fact, and afterward I couldn't get any more fouling out with a traditional brush and patch. Did that after reading a couple posts in this thread to see if it was actually getting my bore clean.

The guns I cleaned today weren't that bad to begin with, and that may be a factor as to how well the Boresnake works. I'd love to try the Otis system though.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I use boresnakes as well as the Otis kit.

The Otis isn't the answer to everything, but it can work well.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Ranger wrote:Here is just the opposite.I have found the boresnake to be of little use to me. They pull way too much fouling thru the bore after a pass or two and this is counter productive to my needs of cleaning a bore properly. I sought out another method that has worked well for me.

I have been using the Otis cleaning system for nearly all my weapons. The Tatical kit was under $40 and does all my weapons to the point that even if I can clean easily from the breech with a rod (Marlins) and such, I use the Otis. Some folks are bent on saying that the patches cost too much, but you get 6 passes with one patch. The patch, properly fit, will pull all the crud out the muzzle and it can be so tight that it will remove fouling that a fairly good rod system will leave behind. Their bore solvent is something I don't use, but their system is a real time saver to me. And the entire kit is about the size of two snuff cans sitting atop one another. It fits in to a small pack and takes up less room than a can of tuna. I buy the patches (really is a one size fits all) in bulk of 1000 and I shoot a lot of 45-70 and 44mags in my leverguns and do get them dirty! I'm at my range in my woods two to three times a week often. I bought the last 1000 patches in March. I still have 500 left. A box of 1000 costs me under $45 on a good day. Under 1/2 a cent a piece. That is often less than the cost of patches one buys at the shop in most cases.

Since I switched to the Otis after over 50 years of using a conventional rod, my weapons are super clean. There is no fear of a rod banging the Winchester or Browning leverguns muzzle up and such. Less fouling and crud enter the action as the gunk is pulled out the bore to the muzzle. In short, I find it a great system and beats the bore snake in true cleaning ability. And no, I don't work for Otis! :lol: But I am impressed with their system enough that the only weapon that I don't clean with it is my .50 cal ML Hawken. It can't do muzzle loaders except for the inlines with removable breechplugs.

I was skeptical at first and was not going to get my hopes up as to how well it might work. I was surprised and now know I was worrying about nothing. And remember, I am not easy to impress! :o

Ok, I know that was long winded, but then again I'm an oldman and we tend to go on a might :wink: :)

Wade
I have an Otis too, but like the boresnake better. Less parts to lose and the "figure out which slit to use" otis patches are a PITA.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I have always used the conventional method of cleaning bores {cleaning rods/patches/solvent} and never allow the bores to become filthy dirty. While relatively easy to clean with way, it is kind of messy, etc. That's why I inquired about the boresnake { I've never tried the Otis system}.

After reading all the posts it seems to me that a boresnake would be good to use at the range or in the field as a Preporatory or Pre-cleaning method before doing the finishing touches with rod/patches/solvent. I will certainly get a couple and give them a try.

Old Ranger said:
They pull way too much fouling thru the bore after a pass or two and this is counter productive to my needs of cleaning a bore properly. I sought out another method that has worked well for me.
Can you clarify that statement for me, since I do not quite understand how it is counterproductive by pulling too much fouling through the bore with using a boresnake?

Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Uncle Buck,

In my saying that they pull fouling thru the bore, is that there is a 2' semi- absorbant piece of poly/cotton tube being drug thru the bore inpregnated with dirt and fouling. Now I am not a rocket scientist, but dragging this much filth over and over thru your bore can not render a true and proper cleaning. Kinda like washing your hands with dirty soap and drying them with a dirty towel. Your hands are a little cleaner, but not really clean. The object of cleaning a bore is to remove the fouling, not run it thru the bore many times. It cannot be reasonable that dragging the same dirt over and over thru you bore will somehow get it fully clean.

Now I'm sure that this will start a stink, as I have spoken out about the boresnake. However, common sense tells me that if you clean something with dirty cleaner, it's still dirty. Why not simply remove the dirt progressively using clean patches on each pass thru the bore until the dirt is finally removed, rather than pulling the same cloth object thru the bore repeatedly spreading the dirt over the entire bore without it's complete removal?

Ok boys fire away! :lol:

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I dip the string end of my boresnakes in solvent before pulling them through. They get dirty quicker, but that's the whole idea!

8)
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Old Ranger wrote:Uncle Buck,

In my saying that they pull fouling thru the bore, is that there is a 2' semi- absorbant piece of poly/cotton tube being drug thru the bore inpregnated with dirt and fouling. Now I am not a rocket scientist, but dragging this much filth over and over thru your bore can not render a true and proper cleaning. Kinda like washing your hands with dirty soap and drying them with a dirty towel. Your hands are a little cleaner, but not really clean. The object of cleaning a bore is to remove the fouling, not run it thru the bore many times. It cannot be reasonable that dragging the same dirt over and over thru you bore will somehow get it fully clean.

Now I'm sure that this will start a stink, as I have spoken out about the boresnake. However, common sense tells me that if you clean something with dirty cleaner, it's still dirty. Why not simply remove the dirt progressively using clean patches on each pass thru the bore until the dirt is finally removed, rather than pulling the same cloth object thru the bore repeatedly spreading the dirt over the entire bore without it's complete removal?

Ok boys fire away! :lol:

Wade
That's why I prefer a shoe lace with a fishing sinker on the end so I can tie clean patches to the end after the first couple of dirty pulls.

Pulling dirty patches through a bore is like wiping your derriere with used toilette paper.

If there is sand or grit in the dirt on the patches it can even act as grinding compound wearing your bore out.

And shoe laces are much cheaper than Boresnakes and you can always raid your fishing tackle box for a sinker.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Old Ranger,
I'm not trying to get you or anyone riled up, but just wanted you to clarify your original statement. I now understand what you meant.
In my original statement starting this thread, I myself said:
If you don't wash it after every use, wouldn't you just reintroduce crud into the bore? Wouldn't it just be like using dirty patches over again.
That's why I asked if people wash 'em after every use or reuse the. It would appear that most people reuse them until they get visibly dirty, and yes, I would have to agree that using dirty patches over again are like wiping 'yer butt with dirty toilet paper.

I'll have to read up on the Otis system also and give it a look see.

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Yes, that Otis system looks good... I'll have to see if I can make one.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Never washed mine. A pass or two with the snake and then a Hoppes soaked patch or two. Done.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

UncleBuck wrote:Old Ranger,
I'm not trying to get you or anyone riled up, but just wanted you to clarify your original statement. I now understand what you meant.
In my original statement starting this thread, I myself said:
If you don't wash it after every use, wouldn't you just reintroduce crud into the bore? Wouldn't it just be like using dirty patches over again.
That's why I asked if people wash 'em after every use or reuse the. It would appear that most people reuse them until they get visibly dirty, and yes, I would have to agree that using dirty patches over again are like wiping 'yer butt with dirty toilet paper.

I'll have to read up on the Otis system also and give it a look see.

If you're the stubborn type and insist on using the grit impregnated Boresnakes you can always re-chamber the gun to .410 gauge shotgun after the grooves & lands are all gone out of the barrel.

The Boresnakes are usually good for several cleanings before they should be washed. I keep several in each caliber around and you can wash them in the sink with a little dish detergent in a couple of minutes and hang them up to dry.

They don't have to be washed after a single use unless the gun cleaned is shooting black powder.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I soak my boresnakes in Hoppe's before use and throw them in the wash after several uses.
If I am shooting the Holy Black I run water thru the bore first and they goe into the wash earlier.

Slightly OT--I traded into a Bue Sky Garand a few years back and the bore was horrible--someboby said to treat it like I had been shooting BP --pour hot water thru it--you would not believe how much copper came out--turned it into a pretty good shooter!