Interarms Rossi PUMA Question?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Interarms Rossi PUMA Question?

Post by Jaguarundi »

I have a Interarms imported stainless steel Rossi M92 with a 20" Round barrel,saddle ring and chambered in 45 colt.The serial number is RR *** of 2000.For the life of me I can't remember when these were first cataloged.I do recall them being a novelty in 45 Colt and Stainless steel and a limited edition run of 2000.My question is does anyone recall what year these were offered? :?:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Though Interarms nolonger owns the Puma name, the Rossi M92 in .45 Colt has been available every year for a long time now...

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/index.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE PUMA NAME GOES BACK AT LEAST 50 YEARS. IT MAY BE CLOSER TO 70 YEARS NOW.
THE SS 45COLT GOES BACK AT LEAST TEN YEARS NOW. I OWN ONE OF THE FIRST AND NEVER THOUGHT OF IT AS A NOVELTY.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Interarms Rossi PUMA Question?

Post by Warhawk »

Jaguarundi wrote:I have a Interarms imported stainless steel Rossi M92 with a 20" Round barrel,saddle ring and chambered in 45 colt.The serial number is RR *** of 2000.For the life of me I can't remember when these were first cataloged.I do recall them being a novelty in 45 Colt and Stainless steel and a limited edition run of 2000.My question is does anyone recall what year these were offered? :?:
I have the same model, #603 of 2000. Steve Young told me when these were imported, it was the first trial of stainless PUMA leverguns. Unfortunately I don't remember the dates.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Jaguarundi,

I cannot tell you when your gun was made. I can tell you that Rossi started making their 92 copy sometime around 1976. The Puma name has been used by them for a long time, maybe since 1976. Sometimes, the Puma was called a "Model 65". Some Pumas actually had a Puma's Head medallion on the receiver, too. Interarms did, indeed, import them from Brazil. Interarms went out of business a bunch of years ago; pre-2003, I think. Legacy Sports International is basically a reorganized Interarms.

If you want to take a stab at it, then give Steve Young a holler about your dating question:

www.stevesgunz.com

...or, the U. S. Rossi repair center:

http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Warhawk & Hagler I concur.I have a copy of Gun digest 49th annual edition 1995.It lists the(not mine although)to quote-" The Rossi M92 SRC Saddle-ring carbine(on page 335).20" barrel,walnut stock in 38/357-37"overall length and 53/4# weight.Features:recreation of the famous lever-action carbine.Has high relief puma medallion inlaid in receiver.Introduced 1978.Imported by Interarms","Price $334",(Model 65-44Special/44mag-price $350)"Rossi M92 SRS Short Carbine-16"barrel in 38/357 only"-No listing of stainless or 45colt chambering from 1995.Warhawk -yes the RR *** of 2000 were the first puma's in stainless and mine doesn't have the Puma medallion installed(made without one like the newer Legacy Puma in 20" octagon I own-1 year old).They may have been made maybe within the last decade?Hagler is correct need to contact Steve.Thank ya'll for your replies.Wish Kiowa would chime in.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

FYI-Gun digest 49th annual edition 1995 doesn't list a stainless puma nor available in 45 colt.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Hagler, if you do a little more checking, I think you will find that Interarms was importing the Rossi '92 back in the mid to late 1960's. They were one of the first advertisers in Handloader magazine which began in 1966.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

blackhawk44,

For a number of years, I was under the impression that Rossi has been making its 92 for at least 50 years. However, recently I read a review in an old magazine (cannot remember which one!) that said that Rossi started manufacturing its 92 in 1976. I also recall reading about a gun dealer buying a bunch of new Rossi 92s, around 1976-to-1977. I believe the tone of the story was that these guns were just being introduced by Rossi, then, not Interarms. I know that Interarms goes back quite a ways, as does Amadeo Rossi. My recent revelations, however, tell me that the Rossi 92/ Model 65 was introduced in 1976. That is why I gave the dates that I gave, when answering the question, posed above.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

I'll check up on that. May be a couple of days before I can get to my reference material.