Poor dog!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Poor dog!

Post by Nath »

She is cold, wet and worn out!
Cold wet snow showers and thin coated spaniels only last about six hours and they are spent!
You see her here wrapped in a hessien sack, heats them up real fast that does.
I managed to get eight pheasant and two wood cock a rabbit too all worked by Tia. Missed plenty! My shotgunning is struggling this season! Must do more!

I carried her in to a warm bowl of her chow, she wolfed it down! Now she is drying out by a fire, I won't let her get to hot!

Got to dry my gear now!

Best wishes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Poor dog!

Post by Blaine »

Naaah....Happy Dog. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

A good working dog in the woods is a true joy eh? Good hunting is always better with a friend. Mine was a half English/Irish Setter that would hunt anything from butterfly to buffalo! You have fun with your dog in the woods!

Oh, and Nath? Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!! :lol: :lol:
(couldn't help myself!)
Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Way to go Nath....you too Tia!
Theres nothing like a good bird dog!

Pheasant for Christmas dinner maybe?

Merry Christmas!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Old Ranger wrote:A good working dog in the woods is a true joy eh? Good hunting is always better with a friend. Mine was a half English/Irish Setter that would hunt anything from butterfly to buffalo! You have fun with your dog in the woods!

(couldn't help myself!)
Wade
Now Nath will probably come back with the std, "You Yanks drive on the right side whilst we Brits drive on the correct side." or some such nonsense.

Everyone knows that the steering wheel should be on the left side so your sweetheart can slide over close on a big bench front seat and you can wrap your right arm around her.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

God Bless her little heart. And your's too Nath :) Nothing warms my heart more than a dog owner that takes the job seriously and responsibly. She is a very lucky pup indeed.

We are currently without any pups but this is going to change after we get moved to Mississippi. This time around though, I think I'll get a pair from the pound - maybe some lab mix or something and train them to help with the squirrels and maybe blood trail deer. They will be taken care of though regardless and have a great home.

Sure miss our two recently departed...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

O.S.O.K. wrote:God Bless her little heart. And your's too Nath :) Nothing warms my heart more than a dog owner that takes the job seriously and responsibly. She is a very lucky pup indeed.

We are currently without any pups but this is going to change after we get moved to Mississippi. This time around though, I think I'll get a pair from the pound - maybe some lab mix or something and train them to help with the squirrels and maybe blood trail deer. They will be taken care of though regardless and have a great home.

Sure miss our two recently departed...
I hear you bro :)
COSteve wrote:
Old Ranger wrote:A good working dog in the woods is a true joy eh? Good hunting is always better with a friend. Mine was a half English/Irish Setter that would hunt anything from butterfly to buffalo! You have fun with your dog in the woods!

(couldn't help myself!)
Wade
Now Nath will probably come back with the std, "You Yanks drive on the right side whilst we Brits drive on the correct side." or some such nonsense.

Everyone knows that the steering wheel should be on the left side so your sweetheart can slide over close on a big bench front seat and you can wrap your right arm around her.
Na, forget that, if that steering wheel was on the left it would be easier for my right handed friend to shoot rabbits from the passenger seat! I would probably get more to sell then :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

looks like a great day Nath. thanks for keeping us included in it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

COSteve wrote:

(couldn't help myself!)
Wade

Oh Pumpernickle...Said wheel should be in the centre..........and in the rear.. with a roof mounted drop down peep & a frt. firesight hood ornament. Like an old digger....can't miss that way. :mrgreen:

Bout' time to break out the old clays trap Pard & try to remember the angles that you missed. Five shots at each angle should take the rust off. Or, shoot a few rounds of old timey skeet (gun down w/delay). that'll take care of it as well.

Best to you cousin across the sea & to Tia...

As usual...WELL DONE! :D :D :D

LB
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Good dog !! - deserves a rest in a warm dry place.

I rescued this Boxerrier (Boxer body & head - terrier mind/personality) last year -

She guards-

Rides shotgun with me -

And, we both rest at the end of the day -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice one OJ 8) Smart looking dog.

Leverbob,
You are quite correct LB. I have noticed my left eye is getting a little dominant today! I started to force it shut some and see down that rib before I do anything else on the last birds and then I started doing a little better.
Tonight I have slicked up the 870's action by polishing action bars and other bits. It is still sticky though when compressing that hammer spring! I think the plunger over the coil spring is binding so that is coming apart next!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

That good dog deserves to ride in the front seat with a blanket on !!
I wouldn't even show this picture to my wife, she would write you one nasty letter.
She tends to spoil my hunting dogs, and they have blankets, pillows etc. She even bought a heated blanket and put it in an old kennel of mine that is out in the garage for the NEIGHBOR's dog.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nath wrote:Na, forget that, if that steering wheel was on the left it would be easier for my right handed friend to shoot rabbits from the passenger seat! I would probably get more to sell then :)

N.
So... what you're really sayin' is that they put the steering wheel on the wrong side to keep y'all from road hunting.

That's just devious...

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cold, wet, worn out and very content! :D
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Weidner...I would definitely like to meet you. You have the most deliciously devious mind. Out of the box completely... 8)

Nath...to take care of the eye, try using the lines of your living room ceiling. Take your shotgun & set a stance in the center of the room....mount the shotgun & swing along the lines of the wall to ceiling while disregarding the front post.................try it and adjust your gun/mount positions to produce an even a swing as possible. Slight wobbles won't matter. Oh yes....both eyes open........

The key to negating an opposite eye dominance is to focus solely on the target & forget the front bead, using it only to adjust the gun/mount initially in your practice. Focus on the target & let you subconcsience (sp?) do it's job. Fitting a stock is expensive & not really nec.

Don't use American skeet sustained lead methods...listen to Mr. Churchill (shotgunner, not politician). Swing through only.

Two things to add...the 870 is my fav. & I have shot fine English, Italian, German & Russian shotguns in competition & the field. You are an American shotgunner in essence & adjust too quickly to be fitted as you adapt to the configuration in an instant.

PM me for any further discussion.

By the way...the London shooting school have the best instructors in the world...and so is the school.

LB
Last edited by LeverBob on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:looks like a great day Nath. thanks for keeping us included in it.
Good going, Tia! You didn't do to bad yourself, Nath.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks gents and LB, I did somemore today and took a second more to line things up n' all.
I did alot better, I feel it's coming back :D

The action is improved and considerable less effort is needed cycling a second shell in now, well worth the time and effort.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Nath...do what works for you! :wink: The results speak for themselves....Wyatt Earps admonition works just fine here. "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final".

Find it out & do what works for YOU my cousin. :)

Gadzooks! You are one fine hunter...and, we can all take a few lessons from you & Tia.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

LB
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

LeverBob wrote:Nath...do what works for you! :wink: The results speak for themselves....Wyatt Earps admonition works just fine here. "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final".

Find it out & do what works for YOU my cousin. :)

Gadzooks! You are one fine hunter...and, we can all take a few lessons from you & Tia.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

LB
Merry Christmass to you and all also :D

Wyatt has it! Tia would mark a bird and I would feel myself tensing up! Amazing isn't it, how many years have I been doing this now :roll:
Anyway I just told myself to relax and take a little more time, IT DON'T MATTER IF IT GETS AWAY DUMMY! Any way works :)

Saw a fox in there yesterday also! He has been there a while, the pheasants betray him often.
So out comes the 308 before light tomorrow for a spot of calling on a stand I prepared :wink:

Happy hols ladies and gents.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, changing from rifles to muzzle loaders and various shotguns can take you a while to get your eye in but that's half the fun of enjoying the different types of shooting.

My alarm clock did not go off this morning so by the time I got to the woods with my Cooey 12GA all I saw was a couple of squirrels and they beat me to the ivy tree before I got a shot. :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Nath, changing from rifles to muzzle loaders and various shotguns can take you a while to get your eye in but that's half the fun of enjoying the different types of shooting.

My alarm clock did not go off this morning so by the time I got to the woods with my Cooey 12GA all I saw was a couple of squirrels and they beat me to the ivy tree before I got a shot. :oops:
Glad you got out John, has the rain got to your place?

I am stuck in, got do an errand with my betroved this afternoon! Bet that fox would of come in today too :roll: :lol:

Yep "beware the man with one gun"etc etc, but thats borin' :lol:

.85p a squirrel at our gamedealers!

Good luck.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Nath, yep it's wet & cold down here.
.85 pence a squirrel :o I've been giving some of mine away to a friend with a Smokery but he ain't sold any yet!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Looks more like a satisfied dog to me, doing what he ment to do!!! 8) I like the box, something like that in the back of my Yukon would of saved some choose words from my wife after returning home from a hike or hunt with my beagle or Lab\Chow mix.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

WCF3030 wrote:Looks more like a satisfied dog to me, doing what he ment to do!!! 8) I like the box, something like that in the back of my Yukon would of saved some choose words from my wife after returning home from a hike or hunt with my beagle or Lab\Chow mix.
:lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If I didn't have a bird dog to work behind I wouldn't hunt birds. Watching that dog work and retrieve is 80% of the fun for me!
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I think more of my dog than most of the people I meet.

Rafe
Death Before Dishonor
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Good going, Tia! You didn't do to bad yourself, Nath.
+1
rjohns94 wrote:looks like a great day Nath. thanks for keeping us included in it.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!