Is this a Sharps?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Is this a Sharps?

Post by Rube Burrows »

I used to own one Sharps many years ago but I remember mine having a smooth rec. unlike this one which has the raised area.

A friend of mine sent me this pic because a friend of his has this in an Estate sale and it might could be had at a good price.

Wood looks to be in rough shape but I dont know much else about it at this time.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Is this a Sharps?

Post by Pisgah »

Sure looks Sharps to me.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup that's a sharps.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very Sharp(s) ;) . :mrgreen:

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If the price is right, and the block isnt too looose, it could probably be fixed up and shot without too much drama. If the bore is decent, even rough but fair rifling, it still may shoot decently. Shiloh and C Sharps can rebarrel or rebuild them also. I'd opt for a home job as far as reasonably possible to get it back up and running. Would be a cool rifle to have.

Have any other pics?

The smooth side gun may have been a '75 model, this is a 74 or earlier model. Many percussion guns from the Civil War were rebuilt as cartridge sporters before the 74 models came out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Clearly needs some stock work, but if it's in decent shape other than that and the price was right I'd pick it up and get it back into shooting shape. But, things could get spendy if'n you need a new barrel and action work. There's other people on here with a lot more experience with Sharps than me.
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Still working out the price on the rifle.

He would rather us buy all nine guns at one time but I dont really have the cash for that.

He wants like 2,200 for all nine and I know there are a couple Colt 1911 National Gold Match pistols, this sharps, a gen 2 Colt 1851 and a 1897 Winchester. Trying to get some more info and see if we can just work out a price for the Sharps .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

At the prices I've seen of late the 2 Gold cups would just about cover the admission price.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

That sounds about in the ball park for the Sharps alone if it was in shooting condition. If it had any provenance to the buffalo hunting areas (such as shipped to a dealer in a hunting area),or have any unusual features, like a heavy barrel etc, it could be a bit more.

If the other guns are in decent condition, you may do all right on the deal. If it were me, I'd brrow money and sell most of it off, or let your buddy(s) each get one thing they want with everyone agreeing on what they get and what they ultimately pay, and sell the rest. You may come out with nothing in it if you play your cards right.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like Rusty said, the Gold Cups, (if in decent condition) would easily clear the rest of the pieces and leave you with free guns. Borrow the money if you have to. Just what I would do.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote:Like Rusty said, the Gold Cups, (if in decent condition) would easily clear the rest of the pieces and leave you with free guns. Borrow the money if you have to. Just what I would do.
+2
(About that 2nd Gen Colt 1851....)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

You best contact friend and family and buy these........ You are about 100%sure to make your money back and be able to keep the Sharps too boot. :mrgreen:
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I wish there were more pictures of the Sharps. What caliber is it? It could be a good deal. Good luck.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What other firearms are included in this deal beside the .45's and Sharps. Hope you are able to swing all of them. $2200 for 9 works out to be $244.4444444 per gun.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hey Rube, maybe someone here would be willing to jump in with you for a deal like that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I was trying to talk to my friend through Text message the other day and got him mixed up a little. I thought he was the one with the guns....turns out he was the one buying the guns. I told him im interested in the Sharps and he said he will try to work me a good deal on the gun. He wanted it mostly for the 1911s. I told him im interested at the right price. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.