Trade my GP-100 for a .357 Ruger Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Trade my GP-100 for a .357 Ruger Blackhawk

Post by 1894c »

Hi--I have been hanging out on this forum way too long, because your collective influence has me thinking. I have a used, but in good condition, Ruger GP-100 in .357 magnum (stainless, 4" bbl). The GP-100 is a personal reminder when revolvers ruled in the LE circles I found myself connected with--Glocks have become my shooting "iron/plastic" of choice these days--yeah I know, but they do work...

Any ways as a committed levergun end-user (presently hunting with a Marlin 1894c), I find myself wanting to trade my GP-100 for a Ruger Blawkhawk in .357 magnum with a 4 5/8" bbl. as my woods gun. I have a Ruger Single-Six, so I am familiar with the workings and character of a Ruger SA. So I have a couple of questions before I jump off the cliff...

1). How is the recoil (double-action revolver compared to a single action)?

2). Did you exchange the wood stocks with rubber (Pachmeyer, I would like to stick with the wood)?

3). Am I nuts? By the way I also own a Ruger SP-101 in .357, so I will not be DA-less.

I want to thank you all in advance for your replies... :)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Trade my GP-100 for a .357 Ruger Blackhawk

Post by FWiedner »

I couldn't make that choice.

I bought one of each.

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

1)Less felt recoil IMO.

2)I would not, but Pachmyer makes great grips.

3)Yes, but all of us here are.

Glocktalk or XD forums might be a place to make that trade. Here.......not so much.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I'd have kept the GP-100 and traded the SP-101, but as for the Blackhawk, with factory grips the .357 Mag ones are fine, because they are heavier (thicker barrel) up front, and recoil is so much less with that round. With the .45 Colts using heavy loads, or the .44 Mags, you get more 'flip-up' and if you have thin/long (ore really thick) hands and fingers, you'll get 'knuckle rap', and find yourself wishing you had the Super Blackhawk grip frame, or a Bisley grip frame. But the .357 Blackhaws aren't bad at all (and I'm not a recoil-stud), and make excellent 'chore and field' guns.

So do the GP-100's, I would think, but I've never owned one. They seem to have all the good features of the Speed-Six and Security-Six guns, and are a bit heavier up front underlug-wise. I'd use one for a 'newbie-instruction gun' in preference to the Taurus Tracker we are using now, although the Taurus has smaller grips and is better for teaching youngsters than the GP-100 would likely be.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I thought about trading my SS Security-Six for a SS Blackhawk at one time because I never fire the Security6 in DA. But upon checking I figured out a comparable SS Blackhawk weighed substatially more. Something like 36oz compared to 48oz, have to double check to be sure. That was enough along with the fact that the Security 6 has a great trigger and is the most accurate handgun I own for me to nix the idea.

LK
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

FWiedner wrote:I couldn't make that choice.

I bought one of each.

Good info and Fred is on it. You will kick yourself for having sold the finest/strongest DA revolver out there, IMHO. Don't ask me how I know all this..... :oops:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Trade my GP-100 for a .357 Ruger Blackhawk

Post by Mutt »

Even with the DA I use SA if available. My preferance

..............Mutt :)
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The recoil is neither significantly more or less -- just different.

A single action, assuming the traditional grips, offers more of a "rolling recoil" sensation that the more straight-back DA recoil. Some find this more pleasant, as it seems less abrupt; some find it harder to shoot accurately.

Personally, I can handle either okay, and I tend to stay away from rubber or checkerd grips in most heavy-kicker hunting revolvers; I don't want the grip to stay completely locked in, but just a bit free to roll and shift in my hand, as to me it makes recoil more tolerable. It's sort of like the stretched-out recoil of a semiauto rifle versus the sharper-feeling recoil of a bolt action or single shot.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sounds like you have your CCW piece
You will still have a fine double in .357 mag

Sure, heck this will give that little bit of western added spice to your arsenal.

At least for myself ??? I have found with the single actions they seem to have much less recoil because the gun seems to roll back in the hand when shooting.
ya, trade er! :D

When I think about the single action/double action revolver recoil thing I always go back to comparing the 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk to the 6" S&W 629

With stout 300gr loads that Ruger is nice and sweet.
That S&W just kicks straight back hard into the web of the hand and honestly(it's not pleasant)hang on er good cause it feels like it might flip out of the hands???????????
The Ruger------------she just rolls nice and easy!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I could not compare the Ruger DA and SA revolvers and I have never owned a Ruger DA. I hold a long lasting prejudice against them, well, because they are not Colts or Smith and Wessons.

I have owned many and still own some Ruger SA sixguns. My only comment on the recoil is that I have found flat bottom grips far more comfortable to shoot on these sixguns.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

rjf415 wrote: 1). How is the recoil (double-action revolver compared to a single action)?
2). Did you exchange the wood stocks with rubber (Pachmeyer, I would like to stick with the wood)?
3). Am I nuts? By the way I also own a Ruger SP-101 in .357, so I will not be DA-less.
1.) The same, but less felt when the BH has Pachmeyer grips.
2.) Most of my BHs have Pachmeyer Presentation grips. I have big paws and the original NMBH grips are made for girls.
3.) No - just the opposite. You are way too pragmatic. Keep the GP-100 and buy the BH so you can be nuts like the rest of us.

I own both of the guns you are trading thoughts about. I carry (or have with me) the GP-100 when I'm in urban areas where the wolves run in packs and carry sharp things and bad attitudes. It's much easier to just pull the trigger, when your heart is beating fast and you're trying not to pee in your pants, when the situation is grim and the bad guys are real. And if you have to reload, the GP-100 has it all over the Blackhawk.

I carry (or have with me) my NMBH when bumming around in the desert at times, or at places, where all I need to worry about are four legged creatures or the next rock to shoot. I love my Blackhawk, especially when I know I won't need it.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I would stick with wood or another hard grip. Not only do they tend to look better but the gun can roll up, which reduces felt recoil.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

My 357 Blackhawk with the 4 5/8 bbl is my most liked and most accurate handgun. Mine seems to like just about any ammo I buy or reload for it, and out to about 25 yards the POA and POI are essentially the same for any ammo, hot, mild, or cold. I'm talking +/- .5 inch or so here. What surprised me a week ago shooting it with 125g Remington loads that are 2100 fps in my Rossi 92 and 1500 plus in the 4 5/8 bbl is that it was about 8 inches high at 50 meters. I only discovered this as I was chronying some new loads and was finishing up the box.
A lot of guys around here like this gun for feral pig hunting when walking the "jungle" of palmetto and palms where the pigs frequent (and the snakes!)
As to the GP100, never shot one, but have shot a S&W and a Colt short bbl DA in 357. They were ok, but I much prefer the heft of the Ruger Blackhawk. Also like the Rosewood grips. As mentioned, they allow a recoil "roll" that makes even the very hot loads feel ok.

Walt
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Put a pair of Herrett's Target Grips on my one Ruger Super Blackhawk and they were very fine.
I bet a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 with similar grips would shoot/feel extremely nice???
Be cool if you could try a couple different types prior to buying??
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Idiot wrote:
rjf415 wrote: 1). How is the recoil (double-action revolver compared to a single action)?
1.) The same, but less felt when the BH has Pachmeyer grips.
2.) Most of my BHs have Pachmeyer Presentation grips. I have big paws and the original NMBH grips are made for girls.
3.) No - just the opposite. You are way too pragmatic. Keep the GP-100 and buy the BH so you can be nuts like the rest of us.

I own both of the guns you are trading thoughts about. I carry (or have with me) the GP-100 when I'm in urban areas where the wolves run in packs and carry sharp things and bad attitudes. It's much easier to just pull the trigger, when your heart is beating fast and you're trying not to pee in your pants, when the situation is grim and the bad guys are real. And if you have to reload, the GP-100 has it all over the Blackhawk.

I carry (or have with me) my NMBH when bumming around in the desert at times, or at places, where all I need to worry about are four legged creatures or the next rock to shoot. I love my Blackhawk, especially when I know I won't need it.
I carry a Glock 27, the "27" is on the approved list of the LE Department that I serve (I'm an LE Chaplain), so it has become my "every-where--always" gun, but I like you're thinking about the usefulness of a good DA revolver... Code-4
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I can't detect a nit's worth of difference in the feel of the recoil between my 4" GP100 with Pachmyers and and my 4 5/8" NMBH with buffalo horn.

They both shoot hard and straight. The GP100 has a DA pull that is as smooth as a Python. Both fall right on time when shooting SA.

I suppose I'm simply not concerned with the the differences as long as they go bang and hit where I point.

I don't have a favorite kid, either.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have all of the revolvers you mentioned and would trade off none of them.
They all have there place in my heart.

Now if I could only have one pistol, it would be a 4" Redhawk
in .45 Colt.

I have been waiting for almost two months for one of the new Ruger SP101 8 shot 22`s from my local dealer.
There are 3 of them at a store within 6-7 miles of me but Terry is my guy and he gets the sale. I don`t even ask the price. He is always fair to me.
I just hope it comes SOON !!
I got to handle one today and all I can say is..... SWEET !!!
:wink:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I went to the local corner dealer of guns this morning and ordered a Ruger Blawkhack .357 Mag. w/ a 4 5/8" bbl., I traded my GP-100 towards this and was given a good deal. I really appreciate all of your input, comments, and suggestions--you guys are the best. This will be my first SA in something other than a Single-Six--should be fun... :)

UPDATE: I put this on hold--just before I pulled the trigger, so to speak, a friend of mine let me borrow his Blackhawk in .357 Mag so I could evaluate it against my GP-100.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:wink: Have fun!! :wink:
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

You will not regret it!
Sweet looking gun.
Walt
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

"Alrighty then." I sure like mine - it is a tank. Have fun. :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Congrats and good luck with the new gun.

On another note what's all this talk about .357 recoil? You're guys are gonna scare some poor kid half to death. Before owning a .357 I heard notorious reports about it's recoil. It's sharp, it's worse than .44M, etc etc. I'm not a power junkie to say the least but in my 36oz gun the .357 is a teddy bear even with my full house 180gr loads and not at all bad even in a SP101. I really don't find it any worse than any .45 acp semi I've shot yet I never hear folk discussing acp recoil.

LK
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Congrats on the new Blackhawk!

You're gonna miss that GP-100. Mark my words.

:wink: :mrgreen:

1894c

Post by 1894c »

L_Kilkenny --
I agree with you about the recoil of the 357 mag, I really like shooting my 2 1/4" SP-101 with full-power loads, somewhat snappy, but manageable. My only issue is that all of the DA's that I have owned had some sort of rubberized grips on them, I just wanted to make sure that the Blackhawk didn't need Packmeyer's, because I like the look and feel of the wood grip panels. Got used to them from shooting my Single-Six... :)

FWiedner --
Your words are "marked", and you'll be the first to know if I have traders remorse, you'll know it's me by the post titled "Trade my --insert gun here-- for a Ruger GP-100". The only gun that I ever regretted trading was a Ruger Security-Six 357 Mag (1979 vintage), almost needed therapy over that one... :)

LeverBob --
I appreciate your comments, the GP-100 is a great revolver, tough as nails--just going "old-school", hunt exclusively with leverguns so I thought I'd go back to the future (my buddies aren't going to believe it either--could be worse I could bring my Glock 22 hunting--oh yeah done that before, never know when you need to do an "administrative reload", especially when you're deer hunting).
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Good Lord...you traded a GP100 for a Blackhawk? You just traded the finest DA revolver ever made for the second choice. My opinion Pard.

That's you're choice with you're guns....

LB
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

OK, my two bits, I had 4 vaqueros in 44mag. but no " little guns". At my local gun merchant they got in a mod 27 smith and I jumped on it. but I kept all four vaqueros. Not being a collector I have no use for safe full of pistols or rifles or shotguns. (especially as I dont have the money either.)

My advice is have both, as they do different duty. Yes the vaqueros will defend the home front but the mod 27 is just great and puuurrrttyy to boot.
1894c

Trade my GP-100 for a .357 Ruger Blackhawk--not today :)

Post by 1894c »

Well--yeah this is an old post--but this is my final up-date--I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause to your viewing pleasure... :)

I was able to borrow a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" bbl. in .357 Mag. for the last four weeks (I am blessed with good friends)--shot the pistol 3 times, put 200 rounds of .357 Mag through it (factory & reloads). I was able to compare it with my Ruger GP-101; clay pigeons at 25 yards was my target of choice for this comparison.

To make a long story short--I am sticking with the GP-100, didn't like the roll of the Ruger SA, I wasn't as accurate with the SA as I am with the GP-100, and I feel that the GP-100 is a better "packing gun" for me, in that it is 6 ozs. lighter, and a 5/8" shorter. In the end my extensive experience with a DA revolver (27+ years) probably swayed my opinion--the GP-100 is an old reliable friend.

I should mention that I really like the look and feel of the Ruger Blackhawk, the cylinder is thick, the grip panels were nice, and the fit and finish are excellent--a well built revolver--if you like SA's you should take a hard look at this one... :)

Again, I want to thank all of the info, opinion, and input that you guys have provided--it was and is invaluable.
I should also thank my LGS who allowed me to nix the gun trade--they're good people.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good decision on your part for all the reasons you mention. That is a tough one to beat. Some like the single action but I, like you, have much more experience with DAs. Mine is with S&W K22 and Model 24 - thousands of rounds through each. More accurate and more natural for me but I do like the SAs and always seem to have a number of them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Rjf415. You made the right decision. Stay with the GP 100. Good you have some friends with Blackhawk Rugers so you could try the gun before you bought it.
As OS wrote, it's easier to get good groups with a DA than with a SA revolver.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I should note that I have had a couple of New Frontiers that were very accurate - one was a 45 and the other a 44 Spl., both were 71/2".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Good - a fairy tale ending.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A 4" GP100 is one of the last I Need, as opposed to want. I have a SS Centenial, DAO, .357 that does not do it for me.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FWiedner wrote:I couldn't make that choice.

I bought one of each.

:!: Heck, I have a pair and a spare of each... However, not all are .357s. I like the .40-somethings and they don't kick all that bad in any caliber.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson